A Full Rundown Of Home Makeover Projects & Links

Packing up our current house and new-house-floor-laying continues…

… but we didn’t want to scoot outta our beloved current house without one more updated Listy McListerson full of everything we’ve checked off and a few things we’d love to have done if we were staying here longer (those are bulleted at the bottom). #warningitslong

Just for fun, here’s the very first list that we shared for this house back in 2010. I love how plans seem to evolve as you live somewhere and figure out what we love/want as you go. It’s also really funny how quickly your eyes adjust and you forget what you started with, isn’t it? Seriously, a week after we knocked a big doorway between the dining room and the kitchen it felt like it had always been there.

- The Front Yard: Complete! -

- The Front Porch: Complete! –

- The Carport: Complete! -

Done:

• replaced the itty bitty light fixture for a big black lantern
  • added a column on the left for balance and built a pergola to add some dimension and interest to our flat little ranch

- The Living Room: Complete! -

- The Office: Complete! -

- The Hall Bathroom: Complete! –

Done:

- The Big Hallway: Complete!

Done:

• we added a frame collage around the console table that lives in there, which made it one of our favorite spots in the whole house (and yes, I’m going to spackle and paint every last hole in this house for the new owners, which actually wasn’t too bad in our first house)

- The Small Hallway: Complete! -

- The Dining Room: Complete! -

- The Laundry Room: Complete! -

- The Kitchen: Complete! -

- The Playroom: Complete! -

- Nursery: Complete! -

- Clara’s Closet: Complete! -

Done:

• removed the old bifold door and hung a curtain on the closet instead
  • redid the closet by painting it and then stamping the walls
  • sewed a beanbag to create a sweet little reading nook

- The Sunroom: Complete! -

- The Master Bedroom: Complete! -

- The Master Sink Nook: Complete! -

- The Master Bathroom: Complete! -

- The Guest Bedroom: Complete! -

- The Guest Bathroom: Complete! -

- The Basement Workshop: Complete! -

- The Side Lot: Complete! -

Done:

• Planted two trees and naturalized it a lot from the sparse leaf pit that we inherited so it looks woodsy and wild (which makes it awesomely zero-maintenance and provides more privacy from the neighboring house)

- The Deck: Complete! -

- The Patio: Complete! -

- The Backyard: Complete! -

Done:

It’s so much fun to look back at all the completed bullets and reminisce. We’re going to miss the heck outta this house. And since a home is never really done, we thought it would be fun to include some things that could have been exciting to do down the line if we had stayed…

• turn the fireplace in the kitchen into a double-sided fireplace that also opens up into the living room (we needed a mason/architect since it would have been a load-bearing wall that we were altering)
  • refinish the floors throughout the house in a richer mocha tone like the cork in the kitchen and laundry room for a more seamless effect (like our first house)
  • paint the ceiling in the playroom a happy and playful color like soft teal
  • redo the flooring in the sunroom (the beige tile was neutral and in good condition, but it wasn’t our favorite)
  • convert the master bedroom window that looks out onto the deck into a french door
  • possibly tile the entire back wall of the master bedroom sink nook with something dreamy and gleaming (we couldn’t decide if it would look too bathroomy in the bedroom so we went back and forth on this)
  • retile the master bathroom floor (maybe with gray hex tiles) and possibly reglaze the beige wall tile so it’s bright white (or add beadboard over it?)
  • add raised bed gardens for vegetables, fruits, and herbs and build Clara a swingset (this is one of those bullets that we want to “bring with us” to the new house)

Here’s hoping the next owners pick up where we left off and we can house crash them someday!

Comments

1. Jessie says

Amazing all the work you guys have done! It’s good to see it’s possible when looking at our own ‘progress’ house. I was wondering though, you mention ‘house crashing.’.. how’s your first place? Have you ever stopped in or been invited over?

The people who bought our first house knew we’d love to crash but were private folks – but they actually moved out very recently and there’s a new homeowner at our first place! We met her at a recent book event and she said she’d love to have us crash down the line (when she’s all settled). We’d LOVE to make that happen someday!

xo

• Robin says

I think I came across your 1st house randomly online. I saw the online photos from when I guess the house was for sale. What a small world. It looked a little different but good!

Oh yes we saw that too! It was so neat to see all the new furniture in there, but when we asked the agent if we could post the pics with a link to her listing she said no, so we couldn’t share them with you guys. Boo!

xo

2. Crystal says

Have you ever asked the new owners of your former house if you can “house crash” them? I know you sold two houses to non-readers now but I just think that would be super fun to see what this place looks like in a year or so and am curious about your first place and what it looks like now too!

xo

WOW!! It looks amazing! You guys did an awesome job on this house and while I’m a little sad to see you leave, I can’t wait to see what the new house has in store :) Good luck on the packing/moving/installing-we are all super excited for you 3!

PS-Can you come to my house next and redo it as well, please? Thanks ;)

4. Mandy says

It would be interesting to know how much (roughly) you put into all of those renovations and improvements. You did a great job with the house – and would LOVE to hire you out to fix my house up!!! :)

Honestly, it is mind blowing what you have been able to accomplish. You made a beautiful home with your beautiful fam-jam.

Congrats to you both on a job well done.

6. Michelle says

Is the flooring photographing darker than real life? Love it! :) I am going to have a hard time saying goodbye to your office and dining room built ins (HA HA!)

7. Jessica Green says

So in love with all you did with your latest home. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Also, so excited to see what fantastic, creative and crafty ideas you bring to your next home. I look forward to this blog every morning. Thanks for giving me inspiring ideas and extra happiness in life (you truly bring me happiness when I scroll through :)).

8. Koliti says

You’ve shown this house a lot of love and did a tremendous amount of awesome updates & remodeling. What a fun ride!

I am happy to see that you are able to call everything “complete” – especially the laundry room…for the longest time it was only 95% complete because you thought it needed a window treatment (what?!) – I’m glad that you finally agree with me that it’s “complete” :)

Your next wild ride & adventure has already started.
    Thanks for inviting me along – it’s always a fun time!!!

Haha, oh yeah, after holding up some bamboo blinds while tackling the office and sunroom we decided the laundry room looked best bare. It’s funny how things seem to come together at the end after lots of I-think-we’ll-do-this conjecturing :)

xo

9. pam in illinois says

Here’s to a job well done! Just beautiful.
    I am so looking forward to your next projects in the new house. Good luck!! pam

10. Lizzy says

I can’t imagine what a pain in the neck it was/is to lay the new wood floors in the curvy hallway and bedrooms. Hopefully you haven’t sprouted too many gray hairs over it!

On a related note – for some reason, I never noticed all of the differences in the flooring in your previous house. I wonder how it would look if they kept all of the flooring but just stained every room to be the same color? The variation in materials but consistent color might look cool. I agree with house crashing BOTH of your previous houses down the line! :)

Oh yes, we LOVE seamless mocha flooring, so we always dreamed about refinishing all of the hardwoods and parquet to be the same mocha color as the cork in the kitchen. It’s my biggest regret that we didn’t get that knocked out before we moved in…

xo

This is gives me so much hope that I’ll be able make the house we just bought into something amazing. It was built in 1954 and is solidly built but has some crazy weird things going on. It’s pretty big and sometimes I just stand in the empty house and feel completely overwhelmed by the work we have ahead of this. Seeing everything you’ve done and the pictures it’s nice to see how even small and simple changes make such a big difference and feel so much calmer that we can do this!

Oh yes, the key is to break things down into smaller projects and just chip away at them. Oh and good music and full bellies helps any project go more smoothly I think!

xo