October Superlatives

It’s that time again! When we take a moment to look back on all that we’ve done in the past month at a glance (and gather all the links in one handy place for ya). And of course we tossed in some never-before-seen stuff to spice things up. This month we were all over the place as usual, from doing a bunch of kitchen things to dipping into a few office projects, some landscaping tasks, and even a few Halloween crafts. So let’s take a walk down memory lane, with yearbook-esque superlatives (you know, just for kicks).

Most Destructive: Demoing out our fridge cabinet, which officially kicked off to the kitchen makeover madness.

Best Timing: Our long-awaited appliance purchases, which allowed us to save nearly 1,400 big ones.

Best Moves: Swapping the location of our fridge and pantry by moving them to opposite sides of the kitchen to improve the flow (look how intense Sherry is when she moves big things).

Best Removes: Taking out our wall oven, its cabinet, some counters, and our cooktop to make way for our new appliances.

Thriftiest: Fun secondhand finds from our road trip to Brevard, NC for my cousin’s wedding.

Cutest Couple: Clara and her BFF Gee (she named him herself) all packed and ready to go on our little weekend road trip. Sidenote: Good thing the cabinets are keeping an eye on them.

Cutest Couple (Runner Up): A tie between Sherry & Katie’s very giggly performance and me & Jeremy’s Sprite-tastic cameo in this Q&A video from the Bower’s visit to Richmond.

Worst Looking: Our kitchen in the midst of some electrical work so that our new appliances had a place to plug in.

Most Killer: Stenciling the walls of our office, which took Sherry three 4.5 hour installments to finish. A killer process, but we think it’s a killer result.

Most Likely To Include Ceramic Animals: The “Curator’s Collection” that we had the honor of creating over on Joss & Main (it’s completely normal to get hyper about dog lamps and map art, right?).

Cheekiest: Our office chairs, which got a few coats of green paint and bold new upholstery.

“Gone To the Dark Side” Award: The bottom half of our office walls, which look a lot more grounded now that we painted them a darker grey color.

Least Likely To Take Themselves Too Seriously: The personal, bright, and sentimental art solutions that we made for our office, which provide a nice visual break from the daily grind (and only set us back $13).

Sloppiest: Clara’s finger-painting skillz on our psychedelic kid-friendly Halloween pumpkins.

Spookiest: Our mildly creepy Halloween decorations, including bloody candles, white wooden snakes, and green apples and gourds.

Most Hair Raising: The spider that tried to thwart our quickie mum upgrade to our front porch. I’ll spare you guys the close up pic of our girl “Charlotte” again.

Most Open: The view of our front yard, now that our bush fence is gone.

Most Open (Runner Up): Outlining a few of our kitchen decisions (and indecisions) including the addition of some open shelving.

Most Grounded: The new flooring that we’ve chosen for our kitchen – some dark cork purchased on sale at Lumber Liquidators.

Most Well Rounded: The penny tile that we chose for our new kitchen backsplash (so glad Clara approves).

“The White Stuff” Award: Our decision to forgo granite and use white Corian counters in our kitchen.

Deal of the Month: Saving over $300 on cabinets by getting them at the ReStore instead of the home improvement store.

Most Likely To Catch Flies: KB & SP as they announced the return of the Pinterest Challenge, open mouths and all.

So there’s our October at a glance. Can you believe it’s already November? What did you guys knock out last month? Have you ever made a list of accomplishments to look back on? If not, feel free to use the comments of this post to break down what you’ve done. It’s so nice to take a break from adding things to The List while appreciating what we’ve completed. Just for a second. Then it’s back to the kitchen. By this time next week there should be a giant 8′ opening into the dining room. Raise your hand open your mouth if you’re excited.

Psst- You can check out July’s superlatives here, August’s here, and September’s here

Pssst- We announced this week’s giveaway winners. Click here to see if you’re one of them.

You guys had a CRAZY busy month of October!
    I can’t believe how much you did!

What did I do in October?

Signed a lease on a new apartment:

Made some art from my anniversary card:

& I bought some new canisters for my flour, sugar, etc:

Have a great weekend YHL!

Oh man! You guys got so much done this past month. And I can barely contain my excitement about about that wall opening up next week! I looked back at our projects last month and we were kind of all over the place, too! Making lampshades for our bedroom, staining the concrete floor in our guest room, tearing out wet drywall in our basement after a rainstorm (not fun), revamping our laundry room and building a big ‘ol chalkboard for revolving monthly art–which is quickly becoming our favorite project of all time. Every month I erase my drawing and draw something new.

Here’s October’s drawing:

And November’s drawing, too:

3. Faithful Reader...anonymous for a few more weeks :-) says

We made a baby…well, technically, I think it was in September, but we found out last month. So hard not to tell everyone…..So thankful we painted the future nursery last summer, so now I can just decorate!

“Have you ever made a list of accomplishments to look back on? If not, feel free to use the comments of this post to break down what you’ve done.”

I keep thinking that I need to sit down and make a list of the things we’ve done on our house. Every time people ask what we have done, I struggle to come up with things other than paint and repair the ceiling then I get discouraged because I feel like we haven’t done enough and our 10 year plan feels more and more like it should be a 20 year plan. Blah! Thanks for the idea of making a list of “dones” instead of just “to do”. I have my weekend project!

I do have a question about how you write this monthly post (which I love BTW). Do you start it at the beginning of the month and just add to it as you work on stuff throughout the month or do you really sit down and do a recap in one day or is it another method entirely?

When the end of the month sneaks up on us we just scroll back through that month’s posts to see what we’ve done and recap them all! We don’t always write the recap in any sort of order just because we like switching things up!

5. Darcy says

WOW! That is a seriously busy month! So much accomplished! I can’t believe that the stencil project was just done a few short weeks ago – It feels like it was ages ago!! Hmm — maybe not to your hands and arms though, Sherry?!!?

Fantastic month — And congrats for getting some much needed personal time with family trips and friends stopping by! Sounds like it has been a great month personally and professionaly for you all! :)

6. Kaitlyn says

Wow! Your end of month superlatives are always so inspiring. I wish we could say we kicked off a kitchen renovation, but we did FINALLY paint a catch-all room upstairs a dark blue-gray and loved it so much we decided to make it our bedroom! We frequented IKEA a few days ago for curtains and a new duvet, so hopefully we’ll make the big move this weekend.

7. Angie says

I painted my way around about a third of my basement which is slowly going from grimey to glowing with its newly white walls and greyish-blue floor. Just two thirds of grime to clean and paint over left. Sigh. My husband and I also purchased our living room furniture! We love it! So fun to see things come together…in all end of the house!

So excited for the kitchen wwall demo! Oh and cutest couple def goes to John and Jeremy – that video was hilarious! The girls can try to win back the trophy another time, I love Bower Power visits.