March Superlatives

For those asking where March Superlatives went, here they are! So a happy belated April to ya (it took everything in me not to say “hoppy belated April” by the way). And with the new month already here, that means it’s also time do our regular look back at what March held for the Petersik household (in yearbook style superlatives, of course). We even tossed in some never-before-seen stuff for kicks. Oh and you can check out all out all of our monthly superlatives dating back to January 2011 right here (it’s over a years worth of projects crammed into just 14 posts). This month we’re starting off with some not-yet-mentioned happenings that kept us busy behind the scenes (are you surprised it’s book related?).

Most Cinematic: The scene at our house while we were shooting a promo video for our book at the request of our publisher (with the help of a pro photographer / videographer who also happens to be our brother-in-law Todd and his assistant Adam). We’re still working on the final edit, but we can’t wait to show it to you guys once it’s officially in the can. You’ll even get a sneak peek at some of those often-mentioned secret book projects that made the video!

“I Came, I Sawed, Then We Went On Vacation” Award: Prepping for our new floors and getting a head start on them the day before we hopped on a plane to Portland, and then Hawaii.

Most Portlandia-esque: Portland (shocker, we know) – but we figured this stylish and unique city deserved it’s own personalized award. Thanks for having us Portlanders!

Most Inspiring: This house that we crashed while out there, which was one of our favorites. Giant map poster for the win!

Most Missed: Our Hawaiian vacation, which already seems like ages ago. Thanks goodness we have lots of pictures (like these and these) to reminisce.

Hole-iest: The tiles we had to patch when we decided to eliminate two of the brackets from our kitchen shelves.

Grooviest: Putting our tongue-and-groove floating cork floor together (I thought this was a more appropriate award than “Tongue-iest”)

Closest Call: Nearly running out of cork floor boards by the time we got to our laundry room. Luckily we had just enough scrap to make it work!

The Cherry On Top Bottom Award: Finally finishing our new cork floors, which was the icing on the kitchen-y cake… especially once we got the trim and sealant on it.

Our Favorite After: Our kitchen! Having been several months in the making, it was exciting – no, exhilarating! – to declare it (pretty much) done and slowly watch it go from dark to happy.

Widest: Our new TV. Okay, it’s not the widest screen there ever was – but this 42-incher is definitely a big improvement from our previous 26″ guy. Now we can actually read subtitles and news tickers on the bottom! Oh but don’t mind the too-small tv cabinet underneath it, we have big plans to build something or rescue a thrift store dresser or cabinet that’s a bit bigger to fill that wall up a bit more.

Most Gravity Defying: These floating vases that Sherry finally hung as part of her Dude Get On That Already initiative. They’re loving their new home in the guest bathroom.

Sexiest Voice: Sherry, while giving this whole house video tour (our first in seven months) while getting over the flu. Is there anything hotter than sick voice? I think so…

Most Festive: Our kitchen for Sherry’s 30th birthday when I strung up ribbon to surprise her in the morning.

Mood-iest: The mood board we whipped up to get started on a mini-update for our long ignored master bathroom.

Most Rock-ing: The Rockport Grey in our master bathroom. Feels good to finally have some paint on the walls in there!

Biggest Pin-Head: Sherry’s hidden closet pin-board made from cork board, duct tape, and leftover curtain fabric.

Biggest Pin-Head (runner-up): Sherry’s creation for the Winter Edition of The Pinterest Challenge, this bean bag pouf that she sewed for Clara’s closet.

Boxiest: This happy yellow jewelry box that Sherry sprayed as part of her Dude, Get On That Already challenge.

Most Fun: Sitting in this refreshed yellow high chair that got a few coats of happy spray paint. Looks like a good time, eh?

Least Fun: Our completely out-of-the-blue leak thanks to a leaf dam on our roof. Oh, and as an update – we’ve since crawled back up into the attic and double checked for damp insulation/drywall/wood and all is dry and mold/odor free. Whew.

What did you guys eke out in March? Did anyone else turn thirty or finish a long-term kitchen makeover or spray paint a high chair? Have you ever made a list of accomplishments to look back on? Feel free to use the comment section of this post to list what you’ve done (or just toss out a few highlights). It’s always fun to take a break from adding things to the to-do list for a second, just to look back and appreciate the things you’ve checked off. We totally think it helps us keep up the ol’ momentum – especially when it comes to tackling some more heavy lifting (and digging) outside… bring on those shovels!

Haha, nice. I get this weird sense of pride when I say “I’m 30” now. I have said twenty something for so long it’s like I’m in a new circle now. The thirty club. Haha. It’s not bad if you ever want to join me! And your chevron project is awesome! Love it on the top like that!

1. Megan S. says

Hi John and Sherry! You all did a lot this past month and your home looks amazing.

I had two random questions. We have the same tv console as you that we got awhile ago, it has gotten scratched due to our kids, can it be re stained?

Also, where did you get the pretty baskets inside? Our kids tend to toss our DVDs in there and it looks so messy.

Thanks so much!

Those baskets are from Bed Bath & Beyond I think! And as for restaining it, I’m not sure. Maybe try very very lightly sanding the back of the back leg and restaining it there just to see how it goes? Trying it in a test spot first might help!

2. Tiffany E. says

I also turned 30 this March! I celebrated with oreos for breakfast and a massage. My hubby and I got started on tearing out some landscaping, so the whole neighborhood got to see be go crazy with a gardening ho while cursing the former owner for letting things get so out of control. It’s great stress relief and a really good work out though!

3. Megan says

I got a big ol’ wall clock put up above our fireplace. It’s 61 inches in diameter so it’s a big change! Loving it :) Other than that we purchased a small charcoal bbq and lots of time spent with our almost 8 month old.

4. Sarah says

Hey! How is Burger doing? I hope everything has continued on the up and up for that little guy after the scare!

He’s doing great! Thank goodness. Just acting like his old self again. I’m sure he thinks we’re crazy though because we keep checking on him and hugging him and spoiling him. Haha.

I love seeing your monthly round up lists, I bet it really helps you feel like you accomplished a lot!

My husband and I need to figure out a good way to not only list out our projects for our house, but how to prioritize them. We’ve got a mile long list, but figuring out what to do first is the hard part, since I tend to want to do everything first!

Although in March we accomplished closing on our first house, taking down claustrophobic feeling kitchen cabinets, removing a pointless railing separating our breakfast nook from our family room, scraping the popcorn ceilings ourselves from about 1100 sq feet in all the main rooms downstairs, and are almost done painting our family room, nook and kitchen. Not a lot compared to what you guys always are able to accomplish, but we’re pretty happy with our progress so far, considering we’ve got full time jobs to attend to and haven’t even moved over to the new house yet.

Hope you guys have a great weekend, full of more house work, I’m sure!

Man, I love these superlatives but it really leaves me feeling like I am such a slacker! You guys get done in one month what I usually get done in one year. Hahaha, I need a Dude, Get On That Already Initiative.

You’re not a slacker, Whitney! John and I just do this as our full time job (mostly at night when the baby is sleeping). And remember there are two of us! We hope our projects and posts can show how things aren’t as hard or scary as they might seem – but we never want to leave you guys feeling bad about what you get done. Any small thing checked off the list is a big deal!

I’m so excited about yall’s book! I can’t wait to see the promo video too :-) and the kitchen looks amazing. What a transformation!

I didn’t really get any projects done in March. It really flew by! I spent the month taking care of my two month old son :-) But I’m determined that I will have a list of accomplishments for the month of April!!

8. Susanna B says

Hi. I always read but rarely leave comments. However, I have to say that your blog is one of the most motivating and inspiring things on the web for me. It makes me a better person! Several projects I have started and often finished because of you. Now I need to take the next step and record my accomplisments on a monthly basis. Just like you. Thanks for being awesome!

Wow, you guys are amazing. Talk about a busy and productive month!

March was a good month for us as well. We finalized the new layout for our master bathroom, removed some hideous HVAC ductwork, did a little spring cleaning, tackled your pinterest challenge, and succeeded at our first attempt at homemade sweet potato dog treats. I hope April is just as exciting! :-)

I too had a ridiculously productive March, (must be that 31st day!)

I finished sprucing up a vintage Goodwill lamp:

I created cute “Portland” map coasters to bring as gifts for an upcoming trip to Japan:

I made an awesome hanging lamp out of a thrifted globe:

I participated in a certain someone’s Pinterest Challenge and painted up an old chair from the basement:

I used leftover chrome paint to create a faux iron grate for my backyard:

I also worked a ton, raised my wily teenage boys and went to Goodwill more times than I’m willing to admit.

I do have to say that I’m excited to read your book. I think I have to save up my $5 gift cards from Swagbucks. ;-)

And BTW, I absolutely *love* your sunshine-y yellow high chair. It’s so cheerful!

11. Chelsea says

March was a big month for you guys!! I am so excited for your book to come out ;) :) :) Can’t wait to see all these project you guys have done! Yayyy for YoungHouseLove!!!!