Post Haste (A Bunch of How-We-Like-It Updates)

There’s a vicious cycle going on. We blog about something and then we live with it. And while we do, we tackle other stuff and blog about that. Lather, rinse, repeat. So we’re not always good about keeping you posted on those older things that we’ve already talked about since we’re so busy gabbing about new stuff. Which probably explains why we get asked for updates on a handful of things nearly every day. In other words: it’s about darn time we followed up. So here’s a nice juicy post full of a bunch of those updates for everyone.

Cloth diapers: Believe it or not, we’re still using the very same original 12 cloth diapers that we got back in 2010 before Clara was born. We haven’t bought any more, replaced any, or bought liners. And two years later they’re still working really well for us. We do put Clara in a disposable overnight (she finally started wetting through the cloth – something we heard might happen for a while, and finally did), but one a day is only seven a week, so it’s not bad at all. As for their shape, they’re still holding up really well. We do have a busted snap here or there (we’ve lost one snap on two of the twelve diapers, but it doesn’t keep them from staying on since there are multiple snaps on each side to hold them). Their color and fabric is in great condition and they look pretty close to new, actually.

Here’s the inside of them (these pics were taken yesterday):

We’re thrilled that we haven’t had to buy any more diapers for our stash or add extra liners (they’re all-in-ones, read more on them here) and they really do seem to be one size fits all since they’re still working for us even with Clara being about 300% bigger than she was at birth. So that’s the update on the cloth diaper front. Here’s the original post all about cloth diapering (which has tons of info in the post and the comment section) along with a one-year-in update post on the subject.

Karl The Sectional: Love him. Still looks the same and feels just as comfy after over a year of kid/dog abuse. The dark slipcovers (we went with Dark Sivik Gray, which is almost like denim and super durable) hide almost everything. So much that we haven’t had to wash them much, but when we do we use our own washer and dryer at home (ya don’t need an industrial one or anything) and they go back on and look great. I think different Karl fabrics have different rules – the Dark Sivik Gray fabric says “machine wash” but other fabric choices might be “dry clean only.” Our one minor complaint would be that the hold-it-in-place velcro to keep the chaise cushion from slipping out and hanging over the chaise like an overbite doesn’t catch correctly (it doesn’t seem to line up) so that cushion migrates out slowly over time. So every few weeks I notice and shove it back into the sofa. No biggie. Probably could just add a strip of velcro on the back that lines up to solve it once and for all. Here’s the original post about getting Karl.

Ed The Bed: He’s the other man in our life from Ikea (Swedish product names like Karlstad and Edland made for some pretty easy nicknames) and we’ve been very happy with him. Still sturdy and comfortable, so when we collapse into bed at 1am after some DIY extravaganza (gotta get stuff done while the kiddo sleeps) we’re happy to be there. Here’s the original post about getting Ed.

ORB’ed hardware: This is something a bunch of you guys have wanted an update on, so here it is, complete with pics. Stuff still looks mint. Admittedly we don’t use the front door (or the doorknocker) very frequently, but here are some shots that I took yesterday of them:

On the other hand, we open the sunroom slider and the door that leads outside at least ten times a day to let Burger in and out and they’re also still doing great. So we would definitely recommend this method (sanding them with something very high grit is going to be our approach when we tackle the interior knobs someday) and we’ll keep you posted if they suddenly start giving us trouble.

Kitchen lab stools: We have only had these bad boys a few months, but we sit on them numerous times a day and usually eat dinner on them, and for $33 a chair, they couldn’t be better. Would I want to lounge in them for six hours while watching The Titanic on repeat? No. Are they comfy for proofreading book layouts, eating dinner, writing cards, paying bills, laptop usage or any other thirty-minute-to-an-hour-long activity? Absolutely. I would warn you that to get them without the back might seriously compromise the comfort-factor, since the awesome flexing back seems to be one of the things that makes them so comfy. Here’s a link to the original post about finding our kitchen stools.

Chair in Clara’s room: I probably logged five hours a week of nursing Clara for fourteen whole months in this chair, along with John and I sitting down to read Clara the occasional story (which still occurs) – so for our family, this chair has been great. That’s not to say that some of my very best friends don’t swear by a cushy rocking/swivel chair, but perhaps from getting used to nursing everywhere (in a parked car at Target? Check.) it’s actually one of the more cozy places. The rounded shape supported my arms in a nice way (an armless slipper chair might be a nursing challenge if you’re completely zonked and want somewhere to rest your arms) and we always keep an ottoman or pouf nearby for putting the ol’ feet up. Totally worked for me. Here’s a link to the original chair-finding post and the nursery reveal post about our $20 thrift store chair.

White cabinets: Sometimes people ask if white cabinets get dirty or are hard to keep clean, and perhaps we’re just used to them (we had them in our first house’s kitchen for over four years before moving here) but we always think they look clean by nature (after all, they’re bright white). And since cabinet paint is completely scrubbable, they definitely don’t seem high maintenance to us. It’s not like white fabric (which can be stained) since cabinet paint like the alkyd stuff we used is slick, durable, and can be cleaned with a wet rag, sponge, or paper towel (you know, because spaghetti sauce happens).

We probably wipe away some random cabinet splatter once or twice a week for a total of sixty seconds spent cleaning them. As for dusting them, we have yet to do this since painting them in December, and they still don’t have any dust collecting around the inset rectangle part, perhaps because it’s pretty shallow and angled as opposed to shelf-like (it did collect there in our old kitchen with shaker cabinets, so once every month or so I’d run a microfiber cloth over them – no biggie). Here’s a link to the original cabinet-painting post with more info about the process/result in the post and the comment section for ya.

White Corian: We’re much happier with our Corian (in Glacier White) than we feared we might be. We worried it would be a pain to keep clean and although we read that it was nonporous, we worried that something would somehow seep into it and stain. But so far, we have had zero staining issues (even with things like strawberry juice and spaghetti sauce), zero scratches (we hear white Corian is the best about not getting scratched up), and they’re easy to keep clean. We always wiped down our old counters every night before bed anyway, and they were veiny granite so nothing showed – which was a problem! We’d find a glob of peanut butter from three nights ago on the counter that we somehow missed. So gross! It’s nice to see everything and just swipe it all down and wake up to a sparkly white room.

The one thing we’ve heard is that you can crack Corian by setting a searing hot pan down on it, but in our last house even with granite we used trivets, so that’s just part of our routine anyway. But the best thing about them has been the zero seams thing. In our first kitchen crumbs would build up or get caught in the seams, but without them our entire counter with our undermount sink is truly seamless, so it’s so nice to sweep things into the sink without hitting any little divots where those seams are. When we ordered our Corian we didn’t even know it was a seamless material, so that was a total unexpected bonus. Here’s a link to our original post about choosing Corian and a post about getting it installed, both with tons of info in the post and the comment section for ya.

Open shelves: Love is a conservative adjective for how we feel about them. Sometimes I want to kiss them. Open mouthed. They’re definitely not for everyone, but we use the things on them so frequently that they don’t have time to get dusty. And you should see me unload the dishwasher or set the table, it takes two seconds. It’s also a lot easier to do things like pour a bowl of cereal with a toddler on my hip. Seriously, we’re so sold we’re a little sad that we didn’t work open shelves into our first house’s kitchen – we were totally missing out. Here’s a link to a post about choosing open shelves and a post about building them and loading them up

HP Photosmart C4780: Truth be told, I tossed this guy in here because it felt like we were giving too many glowing reviews. So I racked my brain to think of something we don’t like. Hah. And it’s this poor guy. He just can’t be trusted to wirelessly print something (sometimes it inexplicably shoots out one page of something and then takes ten minutes to print the second page or never even prints it at all). It’s just a bit too quirky for our tastes, but we did have an Epson that we loved a few years ago (it didn’t print wirelessly, so we later upgraded to this one). We’ll probably go back to that brand and see how their wireless capabilities are someday when we get mad enough to want to throw this guy out the window (sometimes we’re thisclose).

Nikon D3000: Other than still learning how to use it, which is to be expected (we’re faaaar from pro photographers) we’ve been really happy with our camera. We saved our pennies for a while before taking the plunge into DSLR territory, but with a baby on the way (Clara) we thought it was time to upgrade from our little point and shoot. We’re so glad we did, because we definitely get better pics of our family and better photos for the blog. Our only gripe used to be that they didn’t make a cheap nifty fifty (an inexpensive 50mm lens) for this type of Nikon (it only worked with D90s and others closer to that model) but they came out with this one about a year ago and we got it (we don’t typically use it for any blog pics since it’s not as wide of an angle lens as the stock one that came with the camera, which is better suited for interiors). But it’s great for a moving kid or dog in low light, so we like it for Clara/Burger pics and general family stuff (like her interesting hair fashions). Here’s a post about getting our new camera with lots of info in the post and the comment section for ya.

So there you have it. Hope that was helpful. What do you have in your house that’s been surprisingly awesome? Or surprisingly disappointing? Are there any brands you always love or products you wish were different? It’s so great to hear about stuff that you guys like, and learn from your don’t-get-this warnings.

Psst- In the mistakes-we’ve-made/what we’ve tweaked vein, check out this post, this post, and this post. We definitely make our fair share of mistakes! We just try to keep learning as we go, and allowing our house to evolve over time.

We bought an hp wireless printer about a year or so ago, and it’s moody also. I wonder if it has something to do with the wireless printers in general. I would love to throw mine out the window most of the the time…ha!

What kind of cabinet is your printer in? We have been looking for a new file cabinet and I’m slightly in love with the filing at the bottom with space for a printer at the top!

3. Dave says

How is the IKEA Effektiv cabinets working out for you? I bought a bunch of them an I now have them all over the house serving as side boards and in bedrooms hiding TVs and books and toys in my daughters room. I think i have a set of these cabinets in almost every living space……It’s become a sickness. From having drawers, to filing cabinets, to shelves with doors on the add on units they are a great price for tough long lasting furniture.

The bonus is they are finished on all sides so you can even use them as room/space dividers. and by drilling some extra holes on the top, i can turn some of the add on units’ open side to one side of the room and others to the other side of the room……creating a cool divider with space to put things on both sides that i can constantly change around by a twist of a screw driver and lift out a section.

Sorry I’m rambling…… but I got a passion for these like you would not believe.

Haha, I love your passion for them! We really like ours too. It’s great for hiding all of our files and our printer and camera stuff. Wish our shredder wasn’t too tall to fit in there too!

4. Emily says

Great to see mostly everything is holding up. I am especially encouraged by how well the BumGenius diapers have fared. We are expecting our first child in August, and bought 12 of the same diapers based on your glowing recommendation, as well as others’ rave reviews. Thanks for keeping us up to date on their longevity!

I second the Karl as a good sofa! We have it in the same color and agree it’s durable and we think it’s surprisingly comfy, even for people of all heights. Only difference is that we opted for an ottoman that we could move for the chaise look (since we have a small space we move the ottoman around a lot) and we got a sofa and loveseat, not the corner unit. And can we talk pillows? – driving my husband crazy with our rotating pillow collection. The gray is just so easy to jazz up :)

Also, re: a white kitchen. We replaced old beige linoleum with black and white tiles. I end up washing the kitchen floor every two weeks but I love the look and now my kitchen floor is so much cleaner than it ever has been, because with the beige linoleum I could never really see when it was dirty. Sounds weird but the new tiles keeps me honest and I’m okay with it.

Thanks for the updates!

We are going through a sink crisis right now. The faucet from our 2005 remodel has decided to spring a leak in the handles. Of course we got some faucet that doesn’t even have a real name to it so replacement parts are nil. The closest one we found was located at a small plumbing supply store run by a 90 year old man that takes 14 minutes to walk 20 feet. We installed it and of course the stem is too long so there’s a slight gap on the handle cover at the bottom. The Mr thinks he found the exact same faucet and when I saw the website I was pretty sure it was so we ordered it. Now we just have to pray it gets here before vacation! Jealous?

7. Dave says

Oh and get a brother all in one printer. they are great and also have a app for your smart phone or tablet so you can print from there to.

Thanks for this post! I’ve mentioned the Corian counter tops to my husband, because they look awesome in your kitchen. It’s nice to know that they’re still going strong!

Every time I see your rug, I salivate a little… Right now my sectional is sitting on hardwood floors and it’s just a little barren in there. I ordered a bathroom rug from J&M just to try that out once, but was burned a little because the color match was not what I thought it was, and of course there are no returns. So every time I talk myself into one… 5 minutes later I talk myself out of it. It’s a vicious cycle. :-)

Oh man, i know what you mean! It’s really scary! I try to click over to and (who usually sells the same item for slightly more than the Joss&Main price) and read the reviews there. If someone says “this picture is really true to color and I love my rug” or “it’s much brighter and more lime than the pic!” it can help to have that info! Hope it helps.

10. jb says

We just got a stash of the same BumGenius diapers you use for Clara for our little one, set to arrive in June. SO happy to hear you are still liking them. I’m finding out many people are very skeptical of the cloth diaper, but I am looking forward to proving them wrong. One question, do you still use Charlie’s Soap? I’m stressing over what detergent to use. Thanks!

Thanks for the update on the cloth diapers! I was just wondering how you dry them in the winter…you had mentioned before that you hang them to sun bleach them…but what about in the winter? Thanks!

12. Emily says

We use the BGEs during the day, too, and have been very happy with them. If you want a nighttime solution, buy one or two Bububebe fitted diapers (they are one-size, and either the serged or topstitched & turned would work fine). They aren’t cheap, but they are EXCELLENT. You will also need one pair of wool longies, which will double as PJ pants. You can find lots of upcycled options on Etsy or Hyenacart, made from old wool sweaters. The wool gets lanolized (very easy) and becomes both waterproof and breathable and the combo is bulletproof. I’m not sure that you’d save a ton of money at this point, but if you plan to have more kids it would be a great investment and you’d be able to skip tossing those 30 diapers a month! We have a couple of different nighttime fitteds, but I’m getting rid of everything except the Bububebes. They have definitely earned their reputation! (Not affiliated, just use and love them!) They are made by a mom in Canada (just google for tons more info).

Our little guy is only eight months old, so we may be looking at a whole different situation when he is Clara’s age, but I second the wool diaper covers. We use Rumparooz pockets with hemp inserts and an Ecoposh wool cover every night and no leaks for over a month (knock on wood). It has been awesome.

My big diaper questions are 1) How do you get by with only twelve? That is amazing! 2) Are you still using disposables while traveling? We have a big trip coming up this summer, and I would love to use our cloth, but it seems like that could be a lot of trouble…

We do use disposables when we travel and don’t have access to a washer/dryer. But if we have a washer/dryer we usually just do the cloth diaper thing out of habit. As for how we get by with 12, we just both work from home, so maybe that makes it easy? In the beginning we were washing them every other day or do (sometimes every day and a half) but now we get by with about 5-6 diapers a day so we get two days and then wash them that night. Hope it helps!

13. Jane says

Question on cloth diapering..dont know if it was answered before..please pardon

1) Once you wash stuff off a the cloth diaper , do you store the wet diaper even though its wet until your next wash ?

2) Do you also wash “number-one” only diapers with water or do you just toss them on to your diaper pail waiting to be laundered ?

If you click over to the first post we linked to at the bottom of the cloth update there’s all that info for you. We use a zippered Wet Bag to store diapers that need to be washed and we just toss wet diapers right into the wet bag (we only use the diaper sprayed on dirty ones). Hope it helps!

• Jane says

Thank you sherry. I did read that post completely and loved the details you guys get into..amazing! I have one more question that I think wasn’t covered in your previous posts and hope you don’t mind me asking.

How many pees can a cloth diaper take before you have to change them..cos if it is just one , then we would have to buy a bigger stash right ? And I assume for number two once the deed is done , the diaper has to be changed right? I am sorry but am a gonna-be-mom in november and just have so many questions that are not typically covered anywhere..

We just tried to change Clara every few hours and of course as soon as we knew it was dirty (numero dos) it got changed. In the beginning it meant we went through our stash of 12 once every day and a half or so, and over time it was more spread out (now instead of 8-10 diapers a day we probably go through 5).

14. Ginny says

A tip-

As far as nighttime diapering- you could also purchase some prefold diapers and use them as additional absorbency overnight so that you aren’t using disposables! Even seven a week adds up, and diapers in landfills are gross. Prefolds are fairly cheap- just wash them 10x before using so they quilt up nice and soft and thirsty.

• Donna Jean says

franklin goose in carytown sells some really good quality prefolds, but they also may have some hemp doublers that could also solve your nighttime problem – and since you only have 12 diapers, i would assume that you wash every day or every other day, so if you go with the prefolds you could probably spend less than $15 and have a non-disposable solution. plus the ladies that work there are super helpful when it comes to cloth diaper stuff. also, you could check and see if bumgenius has a snap replacement policy – i know that some brands of diapers have snap warranties.