July Superlatives

We’ve been getting requests for some sort of monthly roundup or recap when it comes to all of our undertakings (just so it’s easier to hunt posts down and see what we’ve recently conquered at a glance). And because we wanted to put our own weird little spin on it, while we were out to dinner alone (for the first time since Clara was born, mind you) we started chatting about how cheeky little nominations and titles for certain projects might be funny (or not, you decide)… and so the idea of monthly superlatives was born! As was the conviction that we have to get a life and stop talking about the blog while on our first date in 14 months.

Oh and since we’re on the subject of superlatives, you should know that John was voted “Friendliest Male” (three years in a row, actually – by his high school marching band) while I was awarded the title of “Best Friends” in the back of the yearbook (with Jenny Czajkowski, who helped me highlight my hair in her sink with mustache bleach). But enough about us. On with the July superlatives:

Most Cheerful: Painting The Laundry Room A (Pretty Darn Happy) Greeny Yellow Color

Most Improved: Adding Some Laundry Room Built-Ins (then painting them and filling them with stuff we already had)

Nicest Legs: ORBing Those Parsons Chair Legs

Most Likely NOT To Succeed (At Least The First Time Around): The Guest Room Light Switcheroo (And ReSwitcheroo)

Runner Up, Most Likely NOT To Succeed (At Least The First Time Around): Framing Our Anniversary Note Cards (And Then Reframing Them Without Borders)

Most Likely To Please The Queen: Tea Dying Some Pillow Covers (<–not only pleasing to the royals, but free).

Most Likely To Result In A Crack Joke: Filling The Patio Cracks With Polymeric Sand

Runner Up, Most Likely To Result In A Crack Joke: Caulking The Laundry Room Ceiling (Slash Kicking Off Some Other Laundry Projects)

Most Outdoorsy: Spray Painting The Patio Furniture (you guessed it, ORB).

Runner Up, Most Outdoorsy: Our Mini Porch Spruce Up

Class Nerd: Coding A Room Gallery

Most Boob-Centric: My Breastfeeding Post (who would’ve thought that little diary entry of sorts would get almost 1,000 comments?!)

Most Free Spirited: My Unironed Ribbon Chandelier (which shockingly still remains unironed, and I’m usually so anal…)

Most Controversial: Priming & Painting Our Laundry Cabinets, Switching Out The Hardware, and Hanging Our Ironing Board (which resulted in quite the directional debate).

Most Glamorous: Painting Clara’s Closet Pink & Playing Around With Champagne “Stencils” (update: I played around with some more homemade stamps/stencils and have completed around 20% of the closet – I’m hoping to finish this weekend and have a post for ya early next week).

Most Embarrassing: The Pinterest Challenge Video. By far.

Most Spontaneous: We didn’t really post about it because it happened sort of gradually, but around the beginning of July, Clara just decided to walk (after lots of funny one-legged crawling like this). And just like that she’s too cool for us. See it here if you can’t below.

Most Immature: The Whole Twig & Berries Thing (Spraying Painting Frames & Mats & Losing Our Duvet)

So there you have it. July at a glance. And yes, this was more fun than we probably should admit. Dorks for life.

Anyway, what have you guys been up to this month? Have you ever made a list of accomplishments to look back on? We’re so used to adding things to the to-do list that stopping to see what we already did is kind of nice. And it’s interesting to look back and pick out the super cheap stuff (tea dying our pillows, painting our laundry room, painting Clara’s closet, and making that ribbon chandelier were under $2 total) and the more major stuff (like creating custom built-ins and adding an inspiration gallery) along with all the other stuff in between. We were all over the place, huh? Just the way (uh-huh, uh-huh) we like it.

1. Cheryl says

Wow! You guys put the rest of us to shame! Love the recap and the video of Clara!! So your darn mood boards did me in this month … I kept looking at my poor little guest room and decided it need to be punched up a bit. So over to your Mood Boards gallery I went and found the perfect ideas. So far, I’ve only done the new comforter/pillows but this weekend I’m on to art and possibly new lamps. Thanks for all you do — you guys rock!

2. Liz says

I recommend ‘ironing’ ribbon with a hair straightener…so much easier than dragging out the ironing board and iron! Love the progress you’ve made on all your projects:)

I love this post – great idea! Oh, and not to be a creeper, but Sherry, you were totally in my dream the other night. I saw you at Ikea and got totally excited. Then, you decided to help me out on some home projects. So you came over, and showed you the house. I left the room for just a second and when I came back, you had almost every room in my house completed by re-purposing things we already had. The chandelier you were making was incredible! ha. Just had to let you know because I thought it was hilarious!

4. Sabrina says

my son loves all Clara vids. How tall is Clara? My 5 month old is 32 inches long already lol I have already started a pin interest challenge though I am not on pin interest, that tiered clothespin chandelier I am making for my son’s room. Going to paint them green and brown to match his room. Here’s hoping it works lol

We haven’t had her measured in a while (she has her 15 month check up in a few weeks) but she’s a long girl. I think she’s in the 80th or 90th percentile for her height. She got it from her tall daddy (and this short momma is thrilled). As for your clothespin chandelier- it sounds awesome!

5. Laura says

That video was hilarious! My youngest does that too! She will do it by herself when we are not around though. Then she starts screaming because she can’t open it. Fun times! :) Seriously though, this is the best age!!

I love the round-up idea. I must admit I am a wee bit tired thinking of all the things you have done this past month. Let me list my home improvements…………hmmmmm……..0!

I promise I will do more in August. I am going to start with my ironing board:) susan

7. Veronika says

The most touching/personal tearjerker post – The Breastfeeding post! I loved it!
    You, I wish you could make it a tradition to write at least one Clara related post each month for all Clara lovers!
    I loved the video of Clara by the way, so funny and cute!

8. Bboss says

You guys are totally whacked. . . but inspiring. I started painting my boys bathroom because of you guys. I started last week. So far I’ve finished cutting in. That’s it. My dog ate the sand paper. It took 3 trips to paint shop. You guys have 20 years on me. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

Haha- we can totally relate to certain projects taking waaay longer than you expected! Hope the dog’s ok. Burger has a taste for lotion (he tries to lick my legs after I put it on) but not sandpaper.

• Amanda says

My cat does that Sherry! Which is so weird because my cat’s kind of … well, a crank-a$$. And witchy … ahem.

But she’ll lick my arms after I get out of the shower, or if I put lotion on.

9. Stephanie says

Clara walking is precious!! and the fact that she’s already shutting the door in your face…yikes! but it did make me laugh out loud at work and everyone stare at me :) tGIF

Clara is so cute! My daughter is going to be 13 next week (it’s like a knife through my heart. My baby!!) and spends a lot of time in her room with the door shut. Mostly, she sings Katy Perry and Lady Gaga songs at the top of her lungs, slightly off-key, with her headphones on. It’s too funny!

My big project for July was moving six boxes of CD’s, that have yet to be unpacked from a year ago, down to the basement. They had been in our living room all this time. I don’t know what else to say about that. I also started a blog and am amazed at how much we’ve done to our house in the past year. It’s forced me to really take stock of where we’ve been, where we’re at and where we’re going. I feel kind of proud of us. I found your blog about a year ago and you have provided me with all kinds of inspiration. Thanks for all the hard work!

11. Elizabeth says

I set that video to load and was looking at other internet screens and nearly jumped out of my chair when the audio of John and Clara kicked in…scared the bejeezus out of me!

As for what I got done this month…I finally recovered all my dining chairs with this fabulous fabric I bought MONTHS ago. So easy once I actually pulled everything out and got started, don’t know why I kept putting it off. Electric staple gun and cordless drill FTW!

Love that little Clara video!! Let’s hope she doesn’t take to slamming that door when she’s a teenager. :)

I *love* your laundry room makeover. Just proves how much can be done in a tiny space that’s reserved for the most dreaded chores.

13. Veronica says

This is completely unrelated to this post, but I saw someone back their U-Haul into a ditch this morning on a busy road and I thought of you guys! You’re not alone!