Since It’s Been Seven Months…

Yup, it really has been seven whole months since our last house tour video. Unacceptable. So here it is. Eight riveting minutes of me walking around the house and babbling about anything and everything with the Flip cam catching all the shaky Blair-Witch-esque action. We just figured it was a nice time to shoot this now that the kitchen is done and we’re gearing up to start some new stuff (some landscaping bidness, upgrading one of the three bathrooms that we haven’t touched, building a big arse deck, etc). So come on in and poke around:

A few notes:

• Am I the only one who still has a scratchy voice two weeks after the flu? Sorry about the croakiness!
  • I do know that a trifecta involves three things and not two. Brain = fried.
  • This time my bra isn’t laying out on our bedroom chair…. and that, my friends, is progress.
  • It also means I was actually wearing a bra while filming this video (as opposed to this time, since Katie blew my cover about my one-bra-ness here).
  • I’ve listened to this five times trying to hear Natalie Portman or Mila Kunis (since you guys say you hear it) and I just can’t. But I really tried.
  • I filmed about five minutes of this video and then walked into the bedroom and the front of the door (where we did a secret book project) was visible, so I had to start all over again. Woops!
  • It’s fun to play Where’s Waldo Burger (he’s in there). And actually my BFF is randomly visible through a window for a second too. She was just arriving while I was scrambling to make this video for you guys (hey, if the house is clean…)
  • Yes, you can actually see my shadow wildly gesturing while I talk about not being able to open the playroom door. Apparently I talk with my hands whether someone can see me or not.
  • Once again, I’m terrible at walking around, talking, and holding a camera (it’s too much multitasking) so pardon the shaking!

Second random CougarTown-related side tangent of the week: dude, who watched Tuesday’s episode? Our ceramic rhino was totally in the background:

I’m taking it as a sign that rhinos are the new elephant/owl. Seriously, soon people are going to be putting a rhino on it. And have you noticed the big ceramic dog sitting next to Cee-Lo on The Voice when he told his team who was battling who? Ceramic animalz 4 eva, y’all. And the mysterious fluffy white cat that Cee Lo randomly holds/maniacally strokes is pretty fantastic too. If only I weren’t allergic…

Psst- Check out all the other house tour videos since we’ve moved in here, here, here and here. And here’s an outside tour from last year.

Oh yes we got that so long ago I have to blog about it (it’s always covered with piles of clothes). It was from on some super clearance (it’s a big upholstered armchair for $200 (down from $625).

Did you guys ever do anything with the Clara fabric you made on Spoonflower? I think I remember you saying back then that you were planning to use it for her beanbag. Did you decide to use that other fabric because it went better in her closet? Or did you end up doing something else with her Clara fabric? Just curious!

It was too lightweight (not upholstery grade) for a beanbag but I’m thinking about using it to make some pillows when she ends up in a big girl room with an actual bed (well a daybed) since pillows for a crib don’t really work. Haha.

• karla says

This is kind of off subject, but are you thinking of switching to a bed soon? I have some friends that have a son Clara’s age and they switched about a month ago, but I also have another friend who’s son is a little over 2 and still in a crib. I was just wanting to know your thoughts as a new mom myself! :)

I totally hear the Mila Kunis voice! I hope your cold/voice feels better soon!

I agree with some other commentors– the house seems bigger and more spacious in the video, as opposed to pictures. You guys have done a great job!

My husband and I just bought our first house this week, and I have been checking back through your archives all week looking for ideas, etc. The number of posts I’ve emailed to my husband is a little embarassing…

I’m trying to convince the hubby of cork floors in our new living room/family room/ kitchen. I think he might be sold because of you guys! Thanks a ton! :))

3. Lynette says

Your house looks so nice! I love to play “Where’s Burger?” I had to watch the video a second time to find Burger…the first time I watched I was so busy looking at the rooms I missed him! Thanks for the tour!

Haha- you might be the first person to find him. Even John was like “are you sure he’s in there” and I was all “keep looking!” – haha.

4. Jeana says

I now have an addiction to ceramic animals!! Everytime I see that dog on The Voice I yell to my husband “I want that!!!” He laughs and rolls his eyes but while we were out shopping he mentioned trying to find one….

5. Sarah says

Love the house tours! It makes it more 3 dimensional and puts us into the space a little better. The kitchen looks phenomenal after seeing it in the video, the new opening is breath-taking! Plus you totally sound like Natalie Portman with your scratchy voice.

6. Carolyn says

It’s amazing to me that the video gives a such a different perspective than just pictures. I love the grey with the green in the kitchen. I’ve been toying with the idea of painting my entry gray (my kitchen and den and kitchen are apple green)….now I know I’m doing it! Perhaps even Moonshine…which looks great in my sons room.

I loved the house tour! I was wondering how it was looking after all the book shooting got wrapped. Nothing like having a few guests over to motivate you to clean. My husband and I joke that we should have gusts over regularly so we are forced to keep the house clean.

Oh yes, 48 hours before that video every single room except for the kitchen was a total disaster. Like mirrors and art on the floor, furniture pushed into the wrong corners, etc. A total disaster! Thank goodness for visitors. They make us finally get on that. Haha.

8. Monika says

Beautiful home you guys! And I SO noticed the ceramic dog next to Cee Lo and immediately thought of YHL. Immediately! haha.

I love it! I totally adore pretty much EVERYTHING! Ha! I bought the duvet that goes with those pillowcases that you bought for clara’s birth. I love it! Its pretty darn springy. I think when I have a guest room one day, itll go in there. Also… we have the same Ikea bed!

I love how the house is looking! You are seriously inspiring my own renovations, in progress now. Sadly I’m not as DIY as you are (we have a contractor) but I want to at least tackle some smaller projects.

One thing I noticed in the video is the legs on your Ikea sofa, which reminded me of a link I saw the other day to a company that makes custom legs for Ikea furniture ( However, they are CRAZY expensive. Have you thought of ever customizing your furniture legs? I bet the ones you have would look great with a dip of color on the bottom half, or I bet John could work up something crazy fun in the workshop.

11. Kerstin says

I watched it the 2nd time now and – by ignoring the “main subject” – I spotted your friend and Burger!

12. Melissa says

I always love the home tour videos! You really have done a wonderful job with updating your home.

PS- Sherry- I am about 90% certain those Asic’s in the laundry room are the same exact cheerleading shoes I wore in highschool.
    Are you a closeted former cheerleader?! :-)