Budget Blooms: Myrtle Magic

Thanks to two pretty major road trips, August almost slipped away before I could share my monthly bouquet (a super sweet Christmas present from the hubs). Just like last month’s lush lilies, this month’s blossoms didn’t hail from the grocery store. Again we bucked the normal $3-5 bouquet and headed outside, this time to snip one pretty hot pink branch from the crape myrtle on the side of our house. Here’s my lovely free flowering branch living it up in a blue glass vase on the mantel in the living room:

For those of you who live too far north to enjoy Crape Myrtles (amazing trees that runneth over with pink or white blooms pretty much all summer long), might I recommend moving to the south to enjoy them? They’re planted along almost every road and around virtually every shopping center and they truly make a former northerner like myself feel like I’m in a Disney movie. I practically expected birds to land on my arms and fashion me a dress out of curtains when I moved here back in 2005.

The pop of hot pink really wakes up the entire living room, and the raspberry tone mixed with the soft blue vase is an unexpectedly awesome pairing- especially in our otherwise light and airy home. Gotta love how something so small can make such a big impression.

So what about you guys? Have you snagged any cheerful flowers courtesy of your backyard or your local grocery store? We’d love to know what blooms are tickling your fancy these days and what bouquets your backyard is bearing without breaking the bank.

Wanna see our first grocery store bouquet from January? Itching to check out February, March, April, May, June and July too? Just follow the links for some pretty sweet cheap-o (and even free) bouquets.

1. mandi says

i snagged branches from the myrtles just a couple weeks ago! i loved how cheerful they were… except they do tend to leave little flower droppings all over the surface they’re sitting on!

2. Jen Z. says

Very pretty!!! We have a Crape Myrtle in our front yard on Long Island. :-) We love it. But this year, it just started to bloom about a week ago. I think it was all the weird weather this year and it threw it off from it’s bloom time. So hopefully we will get to enjoy it for the next month. We have the same color as you do. Love it. I will have to cut some once more blooms come up.

3. Tiana says

So pretty! The color is gorgeous against the blue glass!

I’ve been buying flowers from my local Stop & Shop. They always have small bouquets 3 for $12 and if you dig through, there are some really pretty bunches.

4. LoriSF says

In May, I love to take cuttings from the lilac bush in our back yard. They smell so sweet and are gorgeous, too!

I love Crape Myrtles! We have several planted around our house that we started from just very small plantings (or should I say my husband started :}. They are in their 3rd full year of bloom and are coming along nicely. My father-in-law used to grow them (South GA) and sell them. He has about 50 or so planted on his property. They are so pretty when in full bloom! We go help him prune them around Thanksgiving time.

Very pretty and such a nice gift idea! We just planted a Crape Myrtle in our NJ yard this summer. It’s still getting used to the new lay of the land, so it’s not really blooming yet though. I’ve been mothering it to make sure it survives the hot summer!

I love crepe myrtles! We live in MO and though about planting some in our side yard, but we’re going for privacy and the ones up here just don’t do as well as they do in the South. Seeing them everywhere is one of my favorite parts of our every-other-year trek to Orange Beach.

I remember going to visit my Aunt and Uncle in Texas about 11 years ago and my parents loved the Crape Myrtles so much that they bought 2 and checked them for the plane ride home to Michigan. Sadly, they never made it through the winters.

9. Pamela says

We definitely love our crepe myrtles down here! In our neighborhood we have light pink, magenta, white and deep purple.

Unfortunately ours are struggling this year due to a ball moss infestation, but I’m hoping to get that cleaned up by next season. I never thought of bringing a branch indoors as a bouquet. Great idea!

Any for everyone else with one of these trees, please, please, please do not hack your tree back at the end of the season. They are meant to be trees, not bushes and just look awful when cut all the way back.

10. Lori H says

Love your pretty pink shot of color! My favorite flowers this summer are snipped from my new Limelight hydrangea. Beautiful! And they dry a pretty green too.