Seven Speedy Nursery Updates

When we last left off in the nursery, we had painted the closet door green, but still had a few lingering functional things that we needed (like a changing pad cover, a hamper, and a bin for dirty diapers) as well as a plan for the wall behind the crib that we had been debating.

Update #1. You probably remember when we were considering this fun arrow wallpaper for that spot (among others) but thought it might be a little busy on that side with all the built-ins, so imagine our surprise to find a changing pad cover in the same pattern on Etsy. Teddy loves it. So much, in fact, that he has already peed on it a whole bunch of times. You know, to mark his territory.

We’ve heard a ton of tips (washcloth, wipe, clean diaper) to block the spray, but even with those methods we found that it still managed to run down and pool on the changing pad cover, meaning that we had to strip it off and wash it more times than we hoped in the first few days of being home from the hospital. To the point that even if we had 4 spares we’d still be washing them constantly. We had the same problem with baby Clara (good genes I guess) so we used a wipeable changing pad cover over her cloth changing pad during that phase (it was so much easier to wipe that down than constantly be washing the cover itself).

Which brings us to Update #2. Now that we use that vinyl pad in the car for changes on the go, I thought I’d make one for the house from oilcloth. Here was my process in a nutshell:

1. I grabbed half of a yard of “marine coat vinyl” in white from JoAnn for $6 (they didn’t have white oilcloth), and I actually got two changing pad covers out of that half a yard (so we can use one downstairs when we change Teddy on the ottoman as well)

2. I laid out our existing car pad by Skip Hop (the front is the shiny vinyl part and looks like this, so the black fabric is the back) and traced the shape onto the back of the white marine coat vinyl fabric with a sharpie (twice since there was room for two).

3. Then I just cut them out. Vinyl doesn’t have a fraying edge, so I didn’t even need to hem them or anything

So far it has been awesome. Just look at Teddy modeling his new waterproof cover. He actually peed through his diaper and his onesie while we took this shot. True story. It’s like he wanted to test just how waterproof it was. Thankfully, it worked like a charm. And it has been saving us a little bit of laundry (every little bit helps!) ever since.

Update #3. You can also see the simple white trash can that we grabbed at Ikea for diapers (we’re using disposables until Teddy grows into our cloth ones, just like we did with Clara). So far it’s working well. The lid (with the step-to-open mechanism) keeps smells in, and makes for hands-free opening, which is really convenient.

Update #4. In other “I’ll take all the small conveniences I can get while running on a lot less sleep” category, we also got this adorable navy and white Boppy cover from John’s sister as a baby gift (it was also from Etsy). I know some folks skip the Boppy and just use a pillow or something but I use it so much in these early days when the baby’s so small and nursing all the time. We debated bringing ours to the hospital and I said “nah, that’s overkill” and I actually wished I had it instead of using wadded up blankets and pillows, which surprised me.

Please avert your gaze from my dirty nails and focus on the cute baby.

Update #5. This is a little craft fair item that we bought here in Richmond at the annual Spring Bada Bing event (we’ve blogged about it a few times before). It’s always fun to support small businesses and browse homemade wares – and this one is made by The Little Bandit Shop. It’s an embroidery hoop with discontinued fabric (from Ikea a while back) that she hand-stitched with some cute green vines on each side. We thought it was so charming, and a great idea for a DIY project too.

Update #6. We also realized we needed a clothes hamper, so we grabbed a basket from HomeGoods that’s around the same size as the hamper that we use in Clara’s room and I quickly sewed a little inside-out pillowcase to create a liner. Why inside out? That way when you fold the edges over the side of the basket, they face the right way (and when you look down at the inside of the hamper the patterned side shows). It’s easy to pull out and wash, and I got half a yard of this soft gray ticking fabric at JoAnn for $4.

Update #7. Now for our little plan behind the crib wall, which we didn’t actually do yet – but we think we’re set on this idea. John came up with a repeating pattern of T’s (for Teddy of course). Although this photoshopped version leaves a lot to be desired in the “realistic” department, in our minds it’ll look awesome.

It’s subtle and sweet enough for both of us to like it best of all the other options we’ve considered, so now we’re just debating if we’ll end up making a stencil to paint the T’s on the wall like Clara’s raindrops, or if we’ll use contact paper or some other method to add them. Will keep you posted!

Oh and I finally remembered to snap a picture of the fourth wall of the room (it briefly flashed by in this video tour, but I don’t think I ever took a photo of that angle). Right now there’s just a floor lamp for function (it works on the wall switch, so we can flip it on when we enter the room) but eventually we’d love an overhead light on a dimmer and we think we’ll use that wall to make a fun little play area once Teddy’s a little older, like we did on this wall in Clara’s room.

Are you rallying to add a flurry of small things to a space that’s mostly complete? Buying anything fun from Etsy or at a local craft show? Peeing on changing pads, just for fun?

Psst- To read about all of the nursery updates from the beginning, here’s how we painted all the pink trim, laid new hardwood floors, got a rug, painted the walls & ceiling, added built-ins, tackled some baby bedding, hung extra thick crown molding, filled up the built-ins, added a storage cabinet/changing table, made a mobile, and made art & painted the closet door green.

Comments

That’s in the the paragraph above the grid of photos (making the vinyl cover). It’s in bold, but not sticking out on the end like the other ones, so it’s hiding a little ;)

xo

1. Melissa R says

The T’s on the crib wall would be great. Would you use painter’s tape to make the T’s and paint a darker color instead of painting all those individual T’s?

2. Erin B. says

I love the boppy cover. I noticed my boppy got a little flat after my first born. Instead of getting rid of it, I restuffed it with some pillow filler from the fabric store. It will bring new life to your boppy and raise your son up to you a couple of inches.

• Liz K. says

THAT is seriously one of the best ideas EVER. I really wish I had thought of that before I bought a new boppy for my last two babies.

3. Amy B. says

You guys sure are posting a lot for reducing your posting schedule. ;)

Just wanted to say I love Teddy’s nursery. The colors and textures are great together. You are making me want to learn how to sew! You make it look so easy, whipping out an inside-out pillow case for a laundry basket. Sheesh!

I’m still in early planning stages of our nursery and can’t wait for all the adorable cuteness! As a soon to be first time mom I cannot get enough of posts like this. #nurseryideasoverload

I’m glad you found a use for the arrow pattern — I love it. Also, I laughed at your marking territory comment. My girl dog is slowly turning into a boy dog and now pees with her leg up. She has a buddy who’s a boy, so I think she’s learning it from him. And I don’t know why I’m telling you this…. #dogmomlife

6. Alex P says

LOVE all of the updates, his nursery is lovely!!! But I have to say, that sweet boy steels all the shots, he is precious!!

We moved when I was a teen, and my little brother got the smallest room. As “compensation,” my parents brought in a company that painted the actual night sky from the night of his birth on the walls/ceiling with glow in the dark paint. He had a blacklight in there to help charge up the paint. In 14 years of living there, the paint never got dim. I can’t tell you how many hours I spent lying on the bed with my bro and our friends stargazing from indoors. You could legit see constellations and everything!

• Jessica Leonard says

I love this! I’ve been thinking of what to do on the ceiling of our second little one’s nursery if it’s a boy. I’m planning a Star Wars theme. This would be perfect!

7. Lindsey says

Love all these simple but practical updates! When I saw your idea for the statement wall my mind immediately went to 3D. I can see using very thin pieces of wood (like shims or something) to build out that T pattern and painting it all out white (or maybe a color, but I think simple is better). It would kind of have a moulding effect. You’d have shadow to give it interest but it wouldn’t be all up in your face :) Love seeing pics of baby Teddy. MORE!

• Katie says

This really is a great idea! Might even be easier than taping and painting if you can find a pre-primed thin piece of trim that you can just cut up.

• Vicky says

That is what I was thinking too. Maybe the thin craft wood from Michael’s would work if they had a specific font in mind…or maybe even cardboard.

• Mara C says

Be careful it’s not MDF – that’s not safe material for a babie’s room! Also if you are doing something 3D you’d want to REALLY secure that safely. Things falling in the crib = not a good situation…

• Aimee says

My mind immediately went to what Teddy’s initials (if you don’t count his middle name) are. Because I was thinking just Ts alone weren’t jazzy enough and maybe they could do an abstract monogram thing. But it would have to be 3 letters because otherwise it would be a wall of TP!

8. Bethany says

Love the T pattern on the crib wall! All the other options seemed to dark or busy to me, but this one feels just right. Sweet and suble!

9. Marissa says

Someone bought us these as a gift after our son went through the pee on everything phase:
    I never used them, but they look amusing.

Also, I used to think my friends were strange for doing this, but my daughter will pee while we’re changing her, so I put the clean diaper under her before I even removed the dirty one and that way if she starts peeing there is a diaper there to absorb it. It stinks because it’s a waste of a diaper, but at least you don’t have to give the baby a bath 4 times a day…haha…It’s like a swimming pool otherwise!

I put the clean diaper underneath before changing too. Luckily I’ve only had my daughter pee once when I was changing her, but it would be a good idea if they pee a lot during changes. I mostly do it because I can change her quickly before she tries to wiggle all over the place.

PS. The ‘T’ wall is a great idea! I love that it stands for something, but still seems like an abstract pattern.

• Pia says

To minimize peeing on the changing table here is an other tip. When you are about to change the dirty one just air their private parts but leave the old diaper on. You can help the air by blowing a bit on their “thing”. That will make them pee in the old diaper and then is just to change it. Works like a charm every time.