An Ombre Gradient Christmas Tree

In the esteemed words of Snooki… the party’s here!

Woop woop, the tree is up. And this year now that Clara’s a big girl who we think can handle real ornaments (well, we got a few shatter-proof ones for the very bottom just to be sure) we went with a gradient from white to hot pink to red. Booyah. Or as I’ve been saying way too often: boom goes the dynamite.

Oh and we have a bunch of meaningful/special ornaments that we love the most, but we save those for our real mini tree (we got a tabletop one last year and loved it so much that it’ll be a tradition). So we’ll post about that one as soon as we get it (don’t want it to die before Christmas, so maybe next week!).

Anyway, back to our gradient guy. We thought it would be fun to see the color get deeper as it got closer to the floor, and since we already had a bunch of white ornaments from our silver tree in 2007 and a bunch of soft pink ornaments from 2010 and homemade ones from last year’s Pinterest challenge, all we did was grab a few more hot pink and red ornaments (which only ran us about 12 bucks total, thanks to 50% off sales at Michael’s and Hobby Lobby).

Let the record state that hubster wanted it just to go from white to red with some of those silvery pink ones in the mix since we already had them, but I’m a smooth talker… so that’s how hot pink ended up in the mix.

Then we just loaded each of the four colors onto the tree in bands of color with white at the top which led into light pink, hot pink, and bright red at the bottom. Oh and we added some $2 candy canes to the mix since they fit with the color scheme.

But why tell you about it when we can show you? I love seeing Clara’s reaction to it after she woke up from her nap to see it all glowing and assembled. Maybe she thinks magic elves live here and work while she naps? I wish!

As usual we used our faux-sheepskins-from-Ikea to make a tree skirt. Oh and check out that bicycle ornament we grabbed for cheap at Target.

We also went sans topper. We’ve been waiting to buy one until we see one we totally love and that hasn’t happened yet, so wait we must.

Here she is at night. I’ve named her Glowy Glowerson.

And since I’m a list freak, here’s the rest of the stuff on my holiday wish list. I try not to be all stepford and pressure myself about it, but I can’t explain the endorphin rush that I get from crossing things off of a list. And don’t think I won’t cross things off even if I don’t do them if I run out of time, just for the satisfaction of crossing them off, because I totally roll like that.

• set up the big tree (gradient, baby!)
  • get a live tabletop tree again (like we did last year – this year we have a new idea for the ornaments though!)
  • decorate the mantel, the built-ins, and the entryway console
  • hang our outside lights & decorate the front porch
  • shoot a Christmas picture of Clara & Burger for our annual holiday card
  • make an advent calendar for Clara? Ahh I’m behind already!
  • shop for slash make all the gifts on our Christmas list (about 50% done already, can’t wait to cross this sucker off!)

And since we’re talking trees. Here’s how we decorated ours back in 2007 & 2008 (with the same white and silver scheme):

And in 2009, we went crazy for citrus, and even dried fruit to make ornaments:

In 2010 we had green, pink, and silver shimma goin’ on:

Here’s our tabletop tree from last year complete with homemade ornaments that I whipped up for a Pinterest Challenge:

And here’s last year’s big tree with homemade paint chip ornaments and colorful ribbons (nothing that could shatter since Clara was 19 months old):

Feels kinda festive, eh? What are you guys doing to get into the holiday spirit? Or are you screaming “not ready!” and boycotting Christmas Carols until a certain magical “now it can be Christmastime” date? Are you making a list just for the satisfaction of crossing things off? Are you making anything homemade (gifts, food, advent calendars, etc)? Do tell.

Psst- Still in the mood for more holiday projects and pics? Click here for a gallery with over 25 holiday projects and ideas.

Comments

1. Debbie says

We use one of the big red ribbon bows for a tree topper. It was a temporary solution and 3 years of using it later, we’ve decided we love it and it is here to stay.

Christmas trees are probably (definitely) my favorite thing in the whole world and I wasted no time in putting mine up.

Funny story, there are a lot of my mom’s friend (and my mom) that hate putting up Christmas decorations, and they used to pay me to decorate their trees and houses and such. Best job ever! And it’s still a great way to get some extra shopping money when I’m home on break.

Oooooo Aaaaaaaa. I’m loving the gradient. Loving it. We went anti-red on our tree this year and stocked with navy, light blue and gold and Greta is NOT ready for not shatterproof ornaments yet which made my trip to the dollar store to get some really big plastic bulbs and snowflakes they had more for her…not me….right? Three cheers for Christmas shopping at the dollar store!

Here’s how our tree looks this year:

But seriously, I am keeping this gradient idea tucked away for next year. <3

We put up our tree as well! We’re sticking to the same theme as always – ‘no theme’ since we’re too cheap to buy new ornaments. Plus it was easier to put up what we’ve got! Maybe I’ll buy some ribbon… or make popcorn strands! Do people still do that?

5. Karen F says

so pretty! love the gradient! and I’ve always loved the faux-sheepskin tree skirt. This year, my daughters helped decorate the tree, so all the ornaments are on the bottom 90% of the tree. My husband asked if I was going to rearrange the ornaments after they went to bed, and I thought about it but decided against it. Now that it’s been up for a week, I swear my kids have memorized the location of every ornament, and they tell me when their sister moved one of “their” ornaments!

Thanksgiving and Christmas totally snuck up on me this year due to the hurricane – I feel like I lost 2 weeks. So I’m trying to get into the spirit but I already feel like I’m behind!

6. Jessica says

I LOVE IT!!! SO FUN!

I’m curious, and I am sure you have answered this before, but why not put the tree in the living room against the fireplace? We love to look at our tree while we are watching Christmas movies. Seems sad to not be able to relax next to it.

But, again, it looks great!

We had it in the living room the first Christmas we were here but we hated that it was the back of the house so you couldn’t see it outside! Putting it on that wall means you see it from the office, the kitchen, the dining room, and even the hallway to Clara’s nursery and our bedroom, so we see it lots. Can’t see it from the couch though, which I agree is awesome! Maybe we’ll alternate where we put it back and forth?!

xo

I really like the shaded ombre thing. Your tree has got style! Haha. I posted a sneak peek of my plans for our decorating our tiny apt on my blog. Feel free to go check it out! It involves teal, gold, natural wood touches & lots of glitter. Doing it on the cheap this year!

8. audra says

Yay for Christmas Trees! We put ours up last Monday. I decided that I didn’t like my old tree skirt so I made a new one over the weekend. Totally “Pinterested” one with canvas drop cloths and a hot glue gun. It looks amazing! It was so good seeing you yesterday at the book signing. You guys are so sweet. Peres was bragging all night that she got to meet you (again).

Clara killed me with her “this is cool, but I just woke up from my nap…oh, wait? CANDY CANES!” demeanor. Heh.

I love how calm the tree putting up is at your house. I somehow always manage to forget how it goes together. #shouldaboughtasimplertree

I love your gradient tree, you got me in the Christmas spirit! We are moving Dec. 20th and so we decided we shouldn’t even bother setting ours up this year, since it’ll be so much work to take it down. But, this post convinced me otherwise! I’m doing it because I love seeing the tree all aglow. It was fun to take a look back on all of other creative trees – so inspiring! Also, I never commented (I meant to!) but I’ve been adoring John’s basement organization posts – the pegboard and Instagram pics are so awesome. Cleaning/organizing/pretty-ing up a space gets me giddy!