Archive for July, 2010
Shannon reminds us a bit of ourselves (well, mostly Sherry) since she completed an inexpensive room update while very much pregnant (I’ve yet to accomplish that feat). Check out the simple but awesome makeover she sent our way:
I thought I’d share our recent guest room makeover that got done with zero paint, $300 bucks, and an 8-1/2 month pregnant belly. I’m sure you can relate ;) It is a large open space over our garage with slanted walls that make the room awkward and angular. I wanted it desperately to be a warm, inviting guest room, especially for our post-baby visitors.
Here are the deets:
- I used a lot of the existing pieces and went “shopping” in my garage and basement for furniture and accessories.
- The size of the room, plus the short time span, plus my bloodhound pregnancy nose made painting the walls a no-go. Same thing for replacing the builder’s berber carpet and contractor-pack light fixtures. They were all staying.
- I’m a cheapskate… everything came from Craigslist, Ikea, HomeGoods, TJ Maxx and Target.
- I finally made my own headboard! And I also managed some no-sew throw pillow covers. Add some free artwork from the interwebs and I was DIY’ing all over the place!
It took me about 3 – 4 weeks to pull it together and with six weeks left before baby, I was feeling much more prepared! There’s more info and pics on my blog Shannanigans too. Thanks! -Shannon
Shall we all give Shannon a round of applause for this $300, paint-free room refresher? It looks totally warm and ready for guests. It’s also a great reminder that room projects don’t have to be backbreaking (especially if you’ve got a baby on board and your back hurts enough already). Here’s an early congrats on Blinky’s any-day-now arrival! And we’d love to know what you guys deem your favorite part of the makeover. We’re especially loving those sculptural bedside lamps.
Psst- YHL will be down for an hour or two on Sunday morning EST due to some server upgrades (which will hopefully result in faster loading and site navigation). Fingers crossed…
This week’s big query is all about stairs. Namely, do you prefer them to be bare wood, plushly carpeted, or a bit of both thanks to a runner? Do you love the look of wood stairs but think they’re dangerous when it comes to kids (or just your own clumsy self)? Do you think carpeted stairs are a nightmare to vacuum? Do you adore runners or think they’re a bit too non-committal either way?
Who knew PB Teen had so many punchy and fun pieces that definitely transcend the living-with-the-rents and dorm-decor category? Here are a few things- some on sale, some a bit pricey (but still quite cute)- that caught our eye:
- This cheerful organic duvet and pillowcase would definitely brighten up a guest bedroom.
- This coconut shell chandelier had us at hello- and just happens to be $100 off. We also adored this colorful capiz shell chandy.
- We can picture this smile-inducing organic pillow cover in front of two teal pillows on an all white daybed. So sweet.
- This ruffled tone on tone shower curtain reminds us of something from Anthropologie, but it’s happily about 20 bucks cheaper.
- Anyone who has looked for swing arm lamps knows that $59 is a darn good price- especially for something so full of personality with a chic industrial shape.
- These billowy patterned sheers come in a host of fun colors and would definitely add some effortless style to any space.
- These cheerful $29 lumbar pillows would instantly wake up a neutral slipper chair.
- This charming and beachy pillow cover is both organic and meaningful in message.
- These brightly hued chevron lovelies might be our favorite PB Teen find of all- and they’re just $19 a pop!
- These small but bold task lamps would complement any home office (and they’re on sale).
- This chic patterned toss pillow is both texture-rich and interesting in shape. Plus it looks oh so Anthropologie (where a $35 pillow would be a veritable steal).
- Both the teal and the pink versions of this punchy patterned rug would fun up any home office, den, or laundry room (not to mention a nursery or playroom of course).
So there you have it, a mood board-ish rundown of a few summer-tastic finds from PB Teen. Of course we don’t recommend piling all of them into the same space, but maybe adding a pink desk lamp to your home office along with the swirly rug would be fun? Or pairing the colorful duvet with the patterned sheers in a guest room? Have you guys seen anything surprisingly adult-friendly at PB Teen as of late? Or do you have another unexpected source where you shop for home decor? Do tell.
Note: PB Teen didn’t pay or perk us for this post, we just genuinely liked these items and wanted to share the goods.