Budget Blooms: Tiptoeing Through The Tulips

While we wait for our primed and painted open shelves to dry (ahhh, tomorrow is H-Day, aka: haaaanging day!) we realized that we’ve been waaaaay overdue for a budget blooms post. Remember when we used to do them every month? Yeah, we fell off. Oops. And a few of you have actually requested them, which is just what the doctor ordered since book chaos + kitchen chaos = a hankering for a sliver of beauty in a completely trashed house like ours. Seriously, it looks crazier than it did the day we moved in. Bed in the living room? Check. Painting and repainting a five foot swatch of wall in the playroom different colors every few days? Check. Photography equipment filling up our dining room? Check. But six bucks at the grocery store later, and I had me these beauties – and a small slice of gorgeousness in this crazy house full of people, projects, and other miscellaneous craziness.

I love this vase from Crate & Barrel (a gift from John’s older sister for my birthday a few years back) and it looks especially good with floppy flowers sort of splayed out around the wiggly perimeter.

And I love the two-tone tulip action going on. The prettiest color combinations are always found in nature, huh? Buttery yellow + poppy reddish pink + fresh green = yes please.

I like how they’re leaning out like they’re growing towards the sun in our natural-light-less kitchen. Oh the irony. These guys have actually been alive a few days now, so I guess they only need water but not too much sun (since they have yet to fall to pieces). Whew.

Oh and just for fun, I played around with them in another vase. Well, I guess it’s not really a vase (it’s a seeded glass hurricane meant for a candle that I grabbed at HomeGoods a few years back). Just as pretty, huh? Oh and I got us a kitchen radio on clearance from Joss and Main about a month ago (and we finally plugged it in after staring at it on the counter for a while). Let me tell you, it’s novel. We’ve actually never had a radio in the kitchen but since we log so much hangout time at the peninsula these days (doing blog stuff/book stuff/projects/eating) we thought it would be nice. And it is. Especially with pretty tulips next to it.

The hilarity of this photo is that if I were allowed to share behind-the-scenes book pics, the next photo would be what you see if you swing the camera about six inches to the right. A shot of our monstrous dining table that sits just beyond this half-wall and is completely full of lamps/ceramic things/paint cans/fabric/baskets/bottles/books/frames/etc. Seriously, you can’t even see the tabletop anymore. So when I say there’s a sliver of beauty in our completely trashed house, I really do mean it. And the juxtaposition is hysterically funny to us. So just know that the over-sharer in me is dying to slather chaos pics all over this end of this post to balance the sweet charming “moments” in the kitchen. Oh well, when the book is out we’re allowed to share it all, so we’re counting down the months.

Anyway, back to the kitchen and our little budget blooms. I now firmly believe that every kitchen is made better by three things: flowers, a radio, and a white ceramic tea kettle (of course). Closely followed by a giant ceramic rooster. And a wall full of penny tile doesn’t hurt either. Have you guys been buying flowers or other greenery lately? Have you played around with a few different vases just for fun? Do you have a kitchen radio? Do you even listen to the radio anymore? Oh and what are three things that you think makes any kitchen better?

Psst- Check out a whole mess of Budget Bloom posts from over the last few years here.

Comments

1. Mrs. Butterworth says

I love having a small lamp on a kitchen counter. I love a soft glow in the evening when the kitchen is supposed to be “officially closed” but I sneak in for a snack.

2. Krystle says

We haven’t bought flowers lately, but we did find a white ceramic rhino at Ross last week. I had to have it and he now watches over the living room from his floating shelf. :)

3. Stacey says

Oh…LOVE the tulips!!!! Tulips always reminds me of growing up near Holland Michigan and their tulip festival in the spring. I have pictures of me as a little girl dressed in a Dutch costume sitting in a field of tulips.

4. Christina says

You just gave me the greatest idea for my empty glass jars sitting in the kitchen. CHEERIOS! My daughter is the same age as Clara & she loves em every single morning.

So sweet. I like listening to the radio, especially morning shows. They bring me back to the ol’ days.

Three things that I think make any kitchen better are:

1. A stocked fruit bowl. Because it is healthy, looks good and changing the bowl up is so fun.

2. Art or photos. I have a friend that keeps small family photos by her kitchen sink and she loves that it makes doing the dishes more pleasurable. I am a firm believer in art (or large photos) SOMEWHERE in the kitchen. It injects something so personal.

3. A gathering place. For example, your peninsula. We are lacking this right now in our home and can’t wait to renovate to create a casual place where people and kids can hang out, eat, prep and chat.

Love budget blooms! Whenever I go grocery shopping, always pick up a $5-10 bunch to set out in the living room (where we spend most of our time). We have over a dozen houseplants, but only two are flowering, so having cut flowers makes all the difference!

7. Dee Dee says

man! I’ve been staring at tulips at every grocery store ( with a floral dept) that I’ve been in for the past 3 weeks. not sure why I havent bought any, but this just makes me want to make an extra stop on the way home from work.

8. Kate says

I got that same radio from Joss & Main, in blue though! I bought it full price for my boyfriend for his birthday last year and he LOVED it, but so did I…. I’ve been secretly lusting after it ever since. I finally broke down and bought its twin when it went up on Joss & Main, how could I not?! I love the white/color contrast and vintage look. Speaking of good sales, did you see the cute white ceramic elephants on One Kings Lane the other day?? I snatched on up immediately and thought of you guys!

9. Emily Davis says

Love it! I’m right there with you on the flowers + radio = better kitchen. My third thing, however, would have to be a cookie jar, preferably with cookies in it! (And if they’re homemade, that just sends me completely over the edge!) Growing up, our cookie jar was shaped like Winnie the Pooh, but one of my first purchases for my first apartment was an Italian green glass cookie jar. It has a cork top and the word “cookie” in several languages. Many years later, it still makes me smile!

Wow, I actually found a picture of one just like it: http://compare.ebay.com/like/320804679922?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Tulips are my absolute favorite flower of all time—and you’re right; my kitchen never looks better than with a fresh bouquet!

11. sophie says

tulips – of any colour – are my favourite.

Tulip buying tips – buy when you can’t even see the colour yet and they’re just buds. You’ll be amazed and how long they last and how much they grow – they just keep on stretching and curving. Amazing flowers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81953395@N00/150212687/ (not my shot, but gorgeous nonetheless)