Five Random Bits

Since it’s Thursday afternoon and we’ve been known to veer off into random territory (like this, this, this, and this), I thought I’d toss another one on the barbie, er, blog. Below are things you probably never knew about me and John. Is it proof of our over-sharing tendencies? Yes. Evidence that we’re more than a little weird? Absolutely. But we just had so much fun with a Ten-Things-You-Didn’t-Know-About-Us post waaay back in 2009…

… that we thought it was high time we broke out this post three years later. So without further ado, some random bits:

1. I’ve always wanted to name a band. Not be in one or marry a rockstar. Just name one. All the time I say something weird and exclaim “that would make a great band name!” My favorite band name brain child: “What Ever Happened To Breckin Meyer?” (said out loud after seeing an old Road Trip trailer). Other favorites: “Exhibit A” and “Venn Diagram.” I know, I know. I’m certifiable. But it’s my idea of a good time. Also, I came up with “Pass The Mustard” last night and I’m kinda into it…

2. We assign babies to correlating animals. In a very very loving way. For example Clara’s a turtle. And a little bird. We see both of those animals in her all the time.We have about a million pictures that we glance at and say “Tuuurtle!” or “It’s The Bird!” She also has cousins who are a chipmunk, a bear, a monkey, and a puppy. Seriously, they all have assigned animals – at least in our heads. Here’s Clara’s “angry bird” face.

3. I know she’s not everyone’s cup of tea (and I might be a little scared if she was), but I’m totally under (as in, in no way over) Bethenny Frankel. I’ve seen every episode of Housewives Of New York, Bethenny Getting Married, Bethenny Ever After and even read her book called A Place Of Yes (I thought hearing about things like almost getting on the regular Apprentice and ending up on the Martha Stewart one were fascinating because there’s lots of behind the scenes stuff). And this next part might be polarizing to admit, but once a few years ago after a particularly good old episode of Housewives of New York I turned to John and said “now I totally understand why people get tattoos of celebrities.” Yikes, right? I just adore her hilarious honesty about herself – and I know some people are over her now, but I’m still on the train. She’s just so quick to confirm that she went crazy or had a lapse of judgment instead of denying it. I think it’s refreshing and I try to use that as my inspiration when I’m feeling defensive. That’s right, Bethenny Frankel is my inspiration. Hey, whatever works, right?

4. Nearly almost every day of Clara’s first six months on this planet she peed on her dad while he changed her diaper. We heard that was only a boy thing, but as soon as the first diaper came off, she just let it flow. And she usually made the face below. Is that not a Dr Evil/Mini-Me face or what? Hilarious. Note: John did not find it as hilarious as I did.

5. John’s favorite comeback (well, maybe second to “That’s What She Said”) is “Your Face.” No matter what someone says. For example, this dialog has actually transpired in our house – Sherry: “Oh man, did you leave that bag out in the car?” John: “Your face.” And for some reason I laugh every time. It’s his catch phrase. And I guess if pressed mine is “I do what I want!” spoken in a faux bratty tone. Even as a response to John asking if I’ll hand him the remote (which I then do and follow up with a pouty “here, but only because I wanted to”). Dorks for life.

Now it’s your turn. Tell me five random things, or at least one, about you. Do you put ketchup on your steak? Sing show-tunes in the shower? Count stairs whenever you’re on them (I totally do that in my head most of the time). Come on guys, let’s have some Thursday afternoon bonding, shall we?

1. kerry says

I’ve been known to tell people to die in a fire when they aggravate me. I dont really mean it, it just came out one day and now i keep using it.

this escalated one day, when me and my husband got into a 20 minute “arguement”.. where we did nothing but scream back and forth.. OH YEAH, WELL YOU DIE IN… (insert flood, car, fire, my arms tonight?)

must’ve been something I said.

2. Sara says

I trace every mailbox I see in the air with my finger. I’ve done it since I was a kid and often wonder what the heck that means about me?!

I think some of these things qualify as OCD, but they are quirks nonetheless.

1. I always put things in ROY G BIV order. Ikea plates, crayons, file folders, shirts, etc. I figure if God made that order, it is a pretty good bet.

2. My response for many years was “Your mom”. I need to bring that back.

3. We like to randomly sing things instead of saying them.

4. I like artificial strawberry milkshakes, but I despise ones with strawberry chunks in them.

5. I spend 5-10 minutes trying to decide what Kleenex/Puffs/Generic box will go with my current decor. They have to match.

We are getting ready to paint our kitchen cabinets in the new year using the YHL method! Thanks for video you made. It was super helpful. Excited to try it!

4. erin says

ugh i love bethenny frankel too! i never saw her on real housewives, but somehow i started watching ever after, and i found her hilarious, real, and truthful. she says what I say! <3!

I share your love for all things Bethenny! I’ve been so sad without her on TV screen (if her show is on and I’m missing it somehow, please tell me!). There’s just something so refreshing about her transparency and rawness. I want to work for her and sit on her sofas and drink skinny girls. For. Like. Ever.

Ha, I definitely count stairs and had no idea anyone else did that. I also need my right foot to land on the top step and my left to land on the bottom … a little OCD? And the whole animal association thing is a real thing. I had a college friend who was really serious (and talented!) about it and could match up anyone with their “inner animal.” One guy was a vulture, someone else a donkey, someone else a bat – random animals but they fit perfectly!

7. Bridget says

All these comments are so funny…

When I’m not thinking of anything in particular, I sing “I want it that way” in my head. OK, so I sing it outloud. And everyone looks at me like, “Where did that come from?” The funny thing is, I was never a Backstreet Boys fan. *NSYNC for life! haha

8. Jess says

My husband and I take pop songs we hear on the radio and change the words to incorporate the dog…for example “i whip my tail back and forth, i whip my tail back and forth…”

We’re also use “your face” and “your mom” all the time with each other.

9. Larissa says

I have a friend that is constantly messing up sayings so my husband and I do it on purpose. For example: Does a two legged duck swim in a circle? And: That really puts a kink in the wrench.

Also, I’m fascinated by people’s shower routines. Like, when I found out my husband washes his hair at the end of his shower instead of the beginning it blew my mind. So I try to figure out non-creepy ways to ask people what they do in the shower.

10. Abigayle says

1. my husband’s catch word-phrase is “actually…” followed by whatever he’s correcting, and mine is “i’m just sayin’ ” when i’m trying to make a point. as if that totally validates whatever is coming out of my mouth.
    2. we are also totally on the “that’s what she said boat” usually followed by a high five.
    3. i’ve seen every episode of friends at least 4 times all in a row. it’s been a few years, and i might be a little rusty, but if you were ever playing a game about friends, you would definitely want me on your team.
    4. i also have a habit of seeing animals in people – there’s this woman that i’ve known for like 15 years and i can’t help but think of an ostrich every time i see her!
    5. i am completely convinced that zombies will be real one day and it terrifies me. i definitely think that the worst way to die is by getting bit by a zombie on the neck. but i’m still obsessed with watching all things zombies. maybe i’m just trying to do some research to be as prepared as possible when Walking Dead becomes real life.

• Jac says

Oh that reminds me. I travel a lot for work, and my main appraisal of a hotel room is ‘would this be a safe place during the zombie apocalypse’. It’s the opposite for my friend who likes hotels that you can easily get out of if there was a fire. My idea of a nightmare hotel is ground floor with a wall of windows. I’ve had that twice and couldn’t sleep. Her nightmare is no windows, high up. Lols!

11. IWannaBeKate says

Oh man, I’m gonna walk all the weird right out! Five deets –

1. I named my iPad Paddy (like the Irish nickname for Patrick), and sometimes I’ll accidentally speak to him in an Irish accent; “Paddy, quit beating me in Bejeweled!”
    2. I always evaluate my plate so I’m eating the things I’m just “meh” on first, and the last bite is completely delicious. People who know this about me wait until I’m almost done and then ask to try a bite.
    3. My boyfriend calls me “Stink.” I’ve been assured repeatedly that I do NOT actually stink. The name has somehow become a term of endearment. “Love you, Stink!”
    4. I’m from Massachusetts and still spend big chunks of the summer in coastal Maine, but I only ate a whole lobster for the first time last year. It was delicious, and I hate myself for waiting 25 years to do it.
    5. I’m so bad at come backs that my only standby is “You’re ___!” i.e., “Kate, can you pass me the remote!” “YOU’RE a remote!”

I love reading all of these and being big weirdos together :)

• Jac says

Hee hee Stink. That also reminds me… my husband and I came up with Viking names for each other. He would be ‘Smug the Pensive’ and I’d be ‘Snort the chicken-roaster’. You can join our crew, Stink the Oppressive.

12. Natalie says

1. I eat all the dill pickles and then drink the juice.
    2. We have named our cars and refer to them by name in public.
    3. We have entire conversations with the dog. The one not speaking to the dog fills in for her. It’s weird, especially when we have people over. Also she can’t pronounce her R’s, poor thing.
    4. When we go on trips (most recently to China with a tour group) we start to envision what our group would be like if a zombie apocalypse happened or if the plane crashed. Who would be in charge, who would die first.. morbid, I know.

13. TRICIA says

14. Lindsey says

Ooh, I have another one.

Back story first… when we were in high school, my BFF and I had a male friend who was lamenting that girls never wanted to date him and he couldn’t figure out why, because, as he said, “I work out! I respect women’s rights!” What else could a girl want, right?

So now whenever my BFF and I find out someone doesn’t like us, we always say, “I work out! I respect women’s rights!”