Five Random Bits

Since it’s Thursday afternoon and we’ve been known to veer off into random territory (like this, this, this, and this), I thought I’d toss another one on the barbie, er, blog. Below are things you probably never knew about me and John. Is it proof of our over-sharing tendencies? Yes. Evidence that we’re more than a little weird? Absolutely. But we just had so much fun with a Ten-Things-You-Didn’t-Know-About-Us post waaay back in 2009…

… that we thought it was high time we broke out this post three years later. So without further ado, some random bits:

1. I’ve always wanted to name a band. Not be in one or marry a rockstar. Just name one. All the time I say something weird and exclaim “that would make a great band name!” My favorite band name brain child: “What Ever Happened To Breckin Meyer?” (said out loud after seeing an old Road Trip trailer). Other favorites: “Exhibit A” and “Venn Diagram.” I know, I know. I’m certifiable. But it’s my idea of a good time. Also, I came up with “Pass The Mustard” last night and I’m kinda into it…

2. We assign babies to correlating animals. In a very very loving way. For example Clara’s a turtle. And a little bird. We see both of those animals in her all the time.We have about a million pictures that we glance at and say “Tuuurtle!” or “It’s The Bird!” She also has cousins who are a chipmunk, a bear, a monkey, and a puppy. Seriously, they all have assigned animals – at least in our heads. Here’s Clara’s “angry bird” face.

3. I know she’s not everyone’s cup of tea (and I might be a little scared if she was), but I’m totally under (as in, in no way over) Bethenny Frankel. I’ve seen every episode of Housewives Of New York, Bethenny Getting Married, Bethenny Ever After and even read her book called A Place Of Yes (I thought hearing about things like almost getting on the regular Apprentice and ending up on the Martha Stewart one were fascinating because there’s lots of behind the scenes stuff). And this next part might be polarizing to admit, but once a few years ago after a particularly good old episode of Housewives of New York I turned to John and said “now I totally understand why people get tattoos of celebrities.” Yikes, right? I just adore her hilarious honesty about herself – and I know some people are over her now, but I’m still on the train. She’s just so quick to confirm that she went crazy or had a lapse of judgment instead of denying it. I think it’s refreshing and I try to use that as my inspiration when I’m feeling defensive. That’s right, Bethenny Frankel is my inspiration. Hey, whatever works, right?

4. Nearly almost every day of Clara’s first six months on this planet she peed on her dad while he changed her diaper. We heard that was only a boy thing, but as soon as the first diaper came off, she just let it flow. And she usually made the face below. Is that not a Dr Evil/Mini-Me face or what? Hilarious. Note: John did not find it as hilarious as I did.

5. John’s favorite comeback (well, maybe second to “That’s What She Said”) is “Your Face.” No matter what someone says. For example, this dialog has actually transpired in our house – Sherry: “Oh man, did you leave that bag out in the car?” John: “Your face.” And for some reason I laugh every time. It’s his catch phrase. And I guess if pressed mine is “I do what I want!” spoken in a faux bratty tone. Even as a response to John asking if I’ll hand him the remote (which I then do and follow up with a pouty “here, but only because I wanted to”). Dorks for life.

Now it’s your turn. Tell me five random things, or at least one, about you. Do you put ketchup on your steak? Sing show-tunes in the shower? Count stairs whenever you’re on them (I totally do that in my head most of the time). Come on guys, let’s have some Thursday afternoon bonding, shall we?

1. Shira says

I have always eaten salami with ketchup. For the longest time I thought it was something my dad did and I got it from him, until he confirmed recently that he has never eaten that combination in his life. I have no clue where I got it from but it’s distinctly me. My husband thinks it’s totally gross.

2. Gina Stierwalt says

I have probably named hundreds of fictional, nonexistent bands in my day. A coworker of mine and I “formed” a band years ago(I won’t share the name) but the title of our first single – which of course was never more than a title -was “My pants make my fat hurt.”
    I also count stairs, but only to 8. Then I start over again. I’ve often wondered about that…
    I name just about everything – I have a similar-to-Sherry ceramic animal addiction, and they are each named. Abe the squirrel, Charlie the elephant, Hedwig & Errol the owl bookends, etc.
    It’s so fun to read all the comments!

• Lindsey d. says

I wonder if you only count to 8 and then start over because music is timed in counts to 8? It seems like walking up stairs and counting would have a rythm to be counted like a song.

My husband says “Your face!” to me endlessly. His other big winner is, and I’m totally not joking here, “do you want me to poop on you?” As in, that’s not something creepy we’re into, but I’ll say something like “ugh I have the worst headache” and he’ll reply with “do you want me to poop on you?”

So. Yeah. Life with husbands.

I tend to narrate my life and often get made fun of for the sound effects that get incorporated into my speech. However once I’ve made some extremely odd sound (crazy noise the computer made when I did something wrong, weird car trouble noise, etc) I can almost never repeat it.

However, recently I’ve started sayihng “womp, womp” when I make a mistake. Drop a piece of cake on the floor, “Womp, womp.” I don’t make the actual noise sad trombone noise, I say the word for the noise. SO WEIRD.

5. Natalia says

I’m a big Adam Carolla fan. None of my friends are, just me hah. I started to listen to him when he was on the radio in California, mostly during work (and I live on the east coast ha). It’s been about 4 years since and I listen to his podcast pretty much daily, been to a few of his shows, buy his books/movie (yes, he made a movie “The Hammer” it’s actually a good movie). It still feels a little weird to be a huge fan of his, since I imagine most of his fans being dudes (and I’m definitely not a dude).

1) I’m not sure if it’s an interesting fact, or something that now makes me feel like you Eminem video does, but I saw Titanic 18 times in theatres… From December to April I went every Sunday afternoon to a matinee showing (tickets were $4 back then, so it’s not as insane).

2)I also can only eat green beans if I put ranch dressing on them.

3) I’m 29 and still have trouble figuring out my left from my right. When I’m driving or giving someone directions, I have to make L’s with my fingers to figure it out.

4) I don’t want kids, but I love coming up with baby names, so I have lists and lists of name combinations I like.

5) I’m from North Carolina, but I HATE most southern food. I seriously gag when presented with fried chicken, BBQ, okra, etc.

• andrea says

I don’t do the L thing – but I’m right handed so I think of how a pencil feels between my fingers and then know that’s my right hand. Strange but true.

• Kym V says

I make L’s too and am so happy there are other people out there. It also drives my husband banana sandwich crazy and his response… “Your other Left” if I don’t make them.

• Lindsey d. says

My left/right trick is to imagine which hand feels natural to hold a pen. That’s my right and the one that feels weird is my left.

Oh man I LOVE Bethenny too! Isn’t she just the best? And Jason and Cookie and Bryn?! Bryn is just the cutest.

I also say “I do what I want”. Maybe it’s a Jersey thing!

One random thing that annoys that HECK out of my husband and I think is hilarious: he gets really annoyed if I point my fingers at him in the shape of a gun. Sometimes I do it by accident and have to say “NO! WAIT! That wasn’t pointed at you! It was pointed right behind your shoulder!”

I don’t have that little flap that connects your tongue to the bottom of your mouth.

Pets in my family live a long time. Our cat was 21 when she died and our dog is 14 and pretty sprightly still.

Hope 3 random things works well enough!

8. Kristin says

1. I wanted to be a Rockette.
    2. I name almost everything, too. Cars, plants, etc. I’ve even named the mouse I recently discovered crawling around in my stove. (Remy, of course.) Haven’t caught him yet.
    3. Speaking of which, I love rodents of almost all types. Or pretty much anything with a furry face and beady eyes.
    4. My favorite color was discontinued by Crayola (green-blue)
    5. I can’t whistle. (My 4-year-old niece can, but I can’t.)
    6. My favorite punctuation mark is the parenthesis. (Obviously.)

9. Lauren says

We totally name bands all day. Our personal favorite is “Julio the Cat” from a Friends episode where Pheobe found a cat and was convinced it was her mom reincarnated.

1. I have a very specific fear of child ghosts. I don’t even belive in ghosts, I just know if I ever saw a little kid ghost, I would lose my…crap.

2. I can’t STAND for anything to touch my knees. Even tight pants.

3. I see all doorknobs as “empty” unless something is hanging on them. Ie. trashbags, hoodies, coat hangers. My husband HATES things hanging on doorknobs.

4. I loathe all yellow foods/flavor. Banana, lemon, squash.

5. I gutted and remodeled our kitchen ( by myself)two years ago by myself and I cried almost everyday bc I I thought I had gotten in over my head. Turned out pretty good.

10. Kristi says

My husband is a big “your face”-er too. A request to take out the garbage always elicits a “take our your face” response. In fact, all domestic requests of him usually elicit a face comment! But it’s all in good fun.

My husband and I call any kind of electronic voice (GPS, etc) “Susie.” For example, when the GPS is constantly telling us to “turn around when possible” we yell “Shut up, Susie, you don’t know what you’re talking about!”

Oh, and we don’t call our cats by their given names, like, ever. Hence why they don’t know their names. Haha We have a big fat white kitty named Maggie who we call Fat Kitty, Fatty (we’ve tried to put her on a diet but she has a serious binge eating disorder, lol), Big Kitty, Mags, Migs, Migalig, etc. Our other, smaller, cat named Abbie goes by Little Kitty, Abs, Abaliscious, Abalonia, AbbieCat, the list goes on. We have also never called each other by our given names, and it honestly sounds completely foreign if either of us do. We have a feeling it will be the same way with our future kids, so we have to make sure that a short version of their name sounds just as good as the longer version.

That’s right, we’re nickname-a-holics!

12. Maha says

I totally use “your face” the exact same way that John does and have been doing so for years. And I got a few of my friends and relatives to start doing the same too. It’s the new sensation. Catch the magic.

I time myself in everything. I think I want to be hyper-efficient so I’ve been known to, eh-hem, time myself while taking a bathroom break. I’ll put my tea in the microwave for a minute and it’s a success if I make it out before it dings. Oh, that only starts my weirdness. Like the urge to finish everything. I swear it’s sweet euphoria when I use up a pen or a bottle of anything!

14. Lauren says

FYI, All humans are fall into one of two categories: Monkeys or Birds. ie: Sherry = monkey, John = bird, Clara = bird, Bethenny = MONKEY. I Could go on, but I am sure you get the idea. Fun game.

I love this post! Something I do every time I leave my house is, go to the stove and make sure all burners are off. I know this isn’t too weird but I always say, “off, off, off, off (as I am counting) and then I say YES!

• Emily F says

I TOTALLY do this!!! And I have to be paying attention. Sometimes I’ll check the stove real quick and then go to leave and think “did I check the stove??” and have to go check again. I have 4 burners and a dial for the oven. so my saying is “Off Off Off. Off Off.” :)

• Elizabeth says

My boyfriend does that! I always stand just outside the front door and say “off, off, AWFUL!”