Knock Knock… Who’s There?

Moose Who?

Moose Lamp!!!

Wait, but some of that pic is photoshopped. I can explain.

It all started when I saw a moose lamp at an moving sale back in West Virginia when we were there to makeover Granny’s bathroom

I couldn’t resist grabbing him for ten bucks.

His shade was an odd too-small shape and his paint was flaking off in a few places…

… but I knew I could take him from log-cabin to log-cabin-chic with a little spray paint and a new shade. So guess what? Dude, I got on that (see how these odd, usually-animal-related “Dude Get On That Already” challenges started here). I got on that moose like a cowboy. That’s totally a thing right? Moose-riding cowboys?

As for a color, I knew I could go a bunch of ways with him (blue moose? yeah, buddy!) but after some serious moose-related thought I went with white. Why? Duh, because he looks like a ceramic animal first of all. And second of all, because that frees me up to do something crazy fun with his shade. We’re talking patterned fabric. Oh yeah. I’m a wild woman. I even have the exact shade in mind, but it’s a secret book project so I can’t share it until the 6th when the book is officially out – but I’m totally planning to pair that DIYed fabric shade with Malcolm (what? that’s my moose lamp’s name) and hook up Clara’s big girl room with a super fun dose of color and ceramic moose power.

The best part? When I had the lamp out on the table before I got around to spray priming and painting it (I just used Rustoleum Universal since it has a built in primer in it) I said “What’s that?” to Clara and pointed at the lamp and she said “I don’t know what it is” and I said “It’s a lamp with a moose on it!” and she said “I want a moose with a moose on it!” and I said “well I don’t have a moose with a moose on it, but it’s a lamp with a moose on it!” and Clara looked me in the eye and totally deadpanned: “moose… with… a… moose… on it.” Like she was spelling it out nice and slow so I’d understand. That chick is hilarious.

Thankfully after I sprayed him white and paired him up with the secret fabric shade that’s waiting in our crazy cluttered playroom (can’t believe it fits perfectly! it’s actually the original shade from the glass based lamps that a certain mischievous painting broke – we’d replaced the shades with whiter versions and had old ones around for secret book projects last December) Clara was 100% down with Malcolm…

… as in, she can’t wait for him to live with her in her big girl room. And she says goodnight and good morning to him every day (and even offers him snacks sometimes). The moral of the story? When in doubt, introduce a moose lamp to encourage manners and sharing.

And as for the photoshopping that I said I’d explain, I just faked a patterned shade (by grabbing this one from here and photoshopping it on). And while I was at it, I showed how a white moose on a white table might be blah, but could be amazing on something painted – like a soft celery green table (or even a rustic wood dresser).

Moose, there it is.

What have you guy been getting on lately? Anyone else doing any other ceremonial spraying of animals? Or ceremonial spaying of animals?

1. Kaitlin says

Due to a water leak from a recent rain, I’m in the processing of purging some living room furniture and doing some rearranging. None of my stuff was damaged except a cardboard box containing paper files for sorting (dude get on your filing). Now I have no excuse since I have to put everything back. The whole process has made me glad to be a renter since I don’t have to pay for any of the work.

2. Kelly says

You definitely don’t want to be a moose-riding cowboy. One winter up in Maine my dad and I saw a moose out in the woods and followed it for a while to take picture. Moose dont like you that close… it charged us. Scariest thing that’s ever happened! Be happy with a moose lamp you can pet- dont get any closer than that! lol

3. Suzy B says

OMG Moose on the Loose! Clara is such a sweet girl!
    So polite to share snacks with her new roomie. HA
    I did spray paint some black candle holders white.
    White is so 2012!!! It really does make me smile while I am
    spray painting…weird huh?

4. Shannon says

Love it. And I live how entertaining your posts are. I recently did my first lamp makeover, times 2! I took a traditional better homes & gardens lamp, switched out the shade and added some mustard spray paint. I love it.

Um… that is awesome. Now I want to go look for incredibly tacky animal lamps (that I’ve seen so often) and spray paint them white. Makes me wish I had held onto one of my grandmother’s hideous rooster lamps to convert. I do have a metal rooster of hers in my kitchen that might get a paint treatment to make it look a little less… Cracker Barrel?
    That woman really loved bright roosters.

6. Kristy says

Love the lamp. I also really loved your article in the new Redbook magazine. Nice to see good things happen to good people. What an exciting time for you!

7. Paloma R says

No spray painting but I bought a big, bulbous, brass lamp on the ol’ C-list a few months back and then realized when I got home that this weird plastic pole coming off the top of it to the light bulb holder put the lamp shade to high up making the whole lamp look disproportionate and ugly. So last night with much patience, I took the lamp apart, removed the weird stick and voila! The lamp of my dreams is now sitting in my living room!

Great lamp!

But I’m confused. The shade was used for a secret book project, so you can’t show it to us? But the lamp went the way of the ceramic dog this summer, right? And it hadn’t been transformed yet at that point? But the book projects were done around…February?

Sorry to cross-examine.

I recovered the original shade! The lamps came with a more tan/amber-toned shade (from Target back when we got married we registered for them in ’07) and when I bought them into our bedroom two years ago on our night tables we got new whiter shades from Target since the old ones were looking too dirty/amber with all the white accents in there! Sorry for the not-thorough post explanation! You can see how the original shades are more amber-toned here and the new ones are lighter here.

I’m such a horrible person that now that I read these posts, and know how long it takes you to edit them… I’m now playing where’s waldo with bloopers.

Found it one!

…don’t hate me ;)

I scored a totally sweet globe at a church thrift shop for FIVE BUCKS!!! The base is gold colored plastic and I will be spray painting that very soon. Just need to decide what color. The globe itself just happened to match my living colors which is awesome!!! So very excited about it!