Knock Knock… Who’s There?

Moose Who?

Moose Lamp!!!

Wait, but some of that pic is photoshopped. I can explain.

It all started when I saw a moose lamp at an moving sale back in West Virginia when we were there to makeover Granny’s bathroom

I couldn’t resist grabbing him for ten bucks.

His shade was an odd too-small shape and his paint was flaking off in a few places…

… but I knew I could take him from log-cabin to log-cabin-chic with a little spray paint and a new shade. So guess what? Dude, I got on that (see how these odd, usually-animal-related “Dude Get On That Already” challenges started here). I got on that moose like a cowboy. That’s totally a thing right? Moose-riding cowboys?

As for a color, I knew I could go a bunch of ways with him (blue moose? yeah, buddy!) but after some serious moose-related thought I went with white. Why? Duh, because he looks like a ceramic animal first of all. And second of all, because that frees me up to do something crazy fun with his shade. We’re talking patterned fabric. Oh yeah. I’m a wild woman. I even have the exact shade in mind, but it’s a secret book project so I can’t share it until the 6th when the book is officially out – but I’m totally planning to pair that DIYed fabric shade with Malcolm (what? that’s my moose lamp’s name) and hook up Clara’s big girl room with a super fun dose of color and ceramic moose power.

The best part? When I had the lamp out on the table before I got around to spray priming and painting it (I just used Rustoleum Universal since it has a built in primer in it) I said “What’s that?” to Clara and pointed at the lamp and she said “I don’t know what it is” and I said “It’s a lamp with a moose on it!” and she said “I want a moose with a moose on it!” and I said “well I don’t have a moose with a moose on it, but it’s a lamp with a moose on it!” and Clara looked me in the eye and totally deadpanned: “moose… with… a… moose… on it.” Like she was spelling it out nice and slow so I’d understand. That chick is hilarious.

Thankfully after I sprayed him white and paired him up with the secret fabric shade that’s waiting in our crazy cluttered playroom (can’t believe it fits perfectly! it’s actually the original shade from the glass based lamps that a certain mischievous painting broke – we’d replaced the shades with whiter versions and had old ones around for secret book projects last December) Clara was 100% down with Malcolm…

… as in, she can’t wait for him to live with her in her big girl room. And she says goodnight and good morning to him every day (and even offers him snacks sometimes). The moral of the story? When in doubt, introduce a moose lamp to encourage manners and sharing.

And as for the photoshopping that I said I’d explain, I just faked a patterned shade (by grabbing this one from here and photoshopping it on). And while I was at it, I showed how a white moose on a white table might be blah, but could be amazing on something painted – like a soft celery green table (or even a rustic wood dresser).

Moose, there it is.

What have you guy been getting on lately? Anyone else doing any other ceremonial spraying of animals? Or ceremonial spaying of animals?

1. Amy says

So is Clara into knock-knock jokes these days? My 2-year-old son is OBSESSED. I wondered if that’s what prompted the beginning of this post. :)

Oh, and very cute. I think the boy would be jealous, actually!

2. Casey says

I have read every blog post on this blog. “Moose there it is” tops all puns. I crown Malcolm the King of all Puns.

3. Christy says

Love the sherrified-moose! Was reading your post while eating my breakfast (on the WEST coast, I’m not thatt lazy… and today you had me cracking up! Love your blog, can’t wait for the book and Portland tour!!

I’ve been too hung up on the fact that there is a large gap between Pinterest and my real life to do much. Not really! But I’m overwhelmed with pregnancy and unpacking all the things we packed up to stage our house. Now that it’s off the market, I have to figure out why I have all those things in boxes and if I still want them. So mostly, I’m just making one-person-cake-in-a-mug for comfort. :)

5. Lisa B says

I’m holding off until we move, but I pray I can find neat items like that and have the vision to make items like that for our home. Can’t wait to see the fabric!
    Sidenote – I have a ceramic owl my aunt made that I had spray painted. I guess my issue was no priming because it dripped and ran. I ended up still loving it, but I think I have a lot to learn.

Oh yes, it must be the no primer thing but can also be the type you choose. Rustoleum is nice and not-runny since it’s thick! Just don’t go too heavy with it and you’ll be golden!

6. Megan says

Its amazing sometimes to see the things you find that I wouldn’t even notice or probably just walk by and then turn them into something I am now dying to own.

Girl… you have talent!

Your blog has totally inspired me to try spray painting animal figurines. I think I might raid my little brother’s old toys (and maybe some of mine…so pretty old at this point! thanks, parents, for hoarding!) and see what I can come up with. It’d be a kitschy yet cute way to decorate my sparse apartment without spending the big bucks.

Too bad I don’t have any moose. They’re a “thing” in my family since my grandma lives in Maine.

8. kristi says

No moose painting but we did score a white elephant at hallmark on clearance. He is cute. I think he’s resin (not ceramic) but I totally thought of you, Sherry. We are working on re-doing our living room so he’s living in there right now… with our white ceramic horse that I’ve had for years.

9. Kathie G says

Malcolm is a real looker. Moose, there it is…bahahaha! Totally random thought but I sing ‘who let the dogs out’ everytime I, well, open the door to let the dogs out. And of course I answer: ‘Me, Me, Me, Me, Me’

Haha! I was singing the batman song while I sprayed. You know the “duh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuhhhh-Batman!” but I was changing Batman for Moose Lamp! Nerd for life.

That’s hilarious because I recently had a pediatric patient who, upon returning from a procedure highly sedated, informed me that while she was gone, they did a “duh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuhhhh-CATSCAN!”. Needless to say I immediately collapsed to the ground laughing hysterically.