Reader Redesign: Color For Dinner

The boldest color we’ve ever used on any wall is Martha Stewart’s Plumage (which we slathered all over our guest room walls). Long story short: we’ve loved it ever since. So when Jackie sent us her dining room makeover boasting lots of Plumage, of course we were all over it. Here’s her letter:

“When we moved into this house, the dining room started with just a table and the bamboo armoire. We didn’t even have dining chairs.

Over the last six months I prioritized finishing this room in time for the holidays. It is filled with DIY projects including art silhouettes, board and batten walls, mercury glass vases, jute wrapped monogram, and my favorite: the DIY linear crystal chandelier.

After making the head chair slipcovers from tablecloths, I followed your tutorial to dye the side chairs a coordinating color.

It took me two tries to get the right color too, but your story gave me confidence for the second round of dying.

I have blogged about all the DIY dining room projects on my blog, aptly named Teal & Lime (I promise I do like other colors too). Thank you for your continued inspiration and over-sharing. I’ve really enjoyed watching you transform your new home.” – Jackie

Since it’s no mystery why we fell for the teal and lime color scheme, we just have one question: what time is dinner? Thanks for sharing Jackie! Aren’t those silhouettes mixed with the curvy wood mirror fun? Can you believe they DIYed the board and batten walls and even made those slipcovers from tablecloths? Such an inspiring room! Let’s play the what’s-your-favorite-part game. Mine is the dapper dog silhouette and Sherry’s is the curvy wood mirror (closely followed by that homemade linear crystal chandelier).

Comments

1. Steph says

I love the boards and batten. What is your opinion on it? Does this ever work in smaller spaces? We’ve been thinking about doing this in our eat in kitchen to sorta “dress up” the eating area. I am always just worried that it will look closed in!

2. bria says

holy moly! I think home depot is about to run out of Plumage, HA! i’ve been debating painting our dining room or foyer this color for weeks now…this post may have sealed the deal, thanks!!

3. Tara S says

This might be my favorite Reader Redesign of all time!! LOVE the board and batten with the color scheme. I was thinking of doing something similar in the new baby boy nursery (baby #2). Then I just saw on her blog that she has the same color scheme in her son’s nursery too. Just beautiful!!! As always, thanks for the inspiration.

John and Sherry,

I nearly cried when I started seeing the comments rolling in on my site. I was in the car when I found out you featured my dining room. My husband made me read the whole post to him as we were driving. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments and support.

P.S. The plumage was actually leftover paint from our nursery redo. The nursery is a teal & like combo too, but with a totally different youthful and preppy feel.

I don’t know if it’s the color, the board & batten walls or a combo of both but I didn’t even notice the alcove until the after!

It looks fantastic!

Absolutely beautiful! I’m considering this color for the bedroom in my apartment now. The only thing holding me back is that when I move (in 4 years) I’ll have to paint over it. How many coats of white do you think it would take to cover Plumage??

You’ve sold me on Plumage! At first I wasn’t sure but now I’m in love! I also really like that DIY chandelier since I’ve been looking for something similar to go above the island in my soon-to-be-built kitchen :D