That’s The Way, Uh Huh, Uh Huh, We Like It

We’re doing a little bit of happy dance boogieing on our new rug, hence this post’s title. Yes, it’s like High School Musical over here, lots of dancing and occasionally there’s even some ballad-y singing about our feelings. Feel free to click play and get in on it.

Now that we’ve gotten through that little dance interlude, here’s the new rug:

Oh happy day, we love it.

Here’s a recent shot of the space without it for comparison.

Isn’t it amazing what a rug – even a neutral and “safe” jute one – can do to tie things together and add balance to a 15 x 16′ bedroom (15 x 21′ if you count the sink nook’s depth). Well, there’s more going on when it comes to bedroom cha-cha-cha-changes, but we’ll get to those in a bit. As for the rug, we’re loving the horizontal placement in the space (which still frees up 3 feet of hardwood flooring on each side and 6 feet of it between the foot of the rug and the wall – actually it’s 11′ between the foot of the rug and the sink nook), which makes for some great “flow.” Here’s a more rug-oriented shot so you can see some of the hardwood floor around it:

Placing it vertically in our room (since it’s a vertical space) was our first instinct, but before ordering it we taped it off on the floor in either orientation and realized that we liked having more rug on each side of the bed to step down on and balance things out. So wide-ways it went. Here’s a wide shot of the whole room for ya:

We left our ubiquitous faux sheepskin rugs on either side of the bed, just because there’s nothing better than stepping out of bed onto them in the morning. And visually we like that pop of white on each side to sort of triangulate with the feathery white light fixture to create even more balance. Yes, Dad The Math Teacher, I worked “triangulate” into a post. How many Best Daughter Ever points is that? Oh and see that fluffy middle cushion on the bed? Target. $12.

We’ve always been huge fans of jute and this rug is softer than any other that we’ve owned. And just as we suspected, we love the subtle nubby diamond pattern going on. Not too obvious and compete-y with the patterned duvet, but not too flat and blah like some of the other woven jute rugs that we looked at. And we’re so happy with the color too. Not too orange or tan (which might make it disappear right into our floor, which kinda of defeats the purpose of a big rug to balance the room out and tie things together in the first place).

Now back to those other tweaks going on in that we mentioned. At first we were averse to the idea of removing Ed the Bed‘s top slats, but after living with things for a bit and the arrival of our new rug we decided to play around and give it a go. What’s the worst that could happen? And what do you know, we love his little haircut of sorts. Sometimes it’s just nice to take a little off the top. Removing those slats does nothing to compromise the sturdiness of the bed (they can best be described as 100% decorative) and we like how it opened things up and allowed us to move our new light up a smidge since we no longer had to worry about the petals bumping into Ed’s top rail.

We’re loving these little switcheroos for now, but who knows what else will change (or un-change) as we add other stuff into the room. It’s definitely still in progress (to do: add some wall art, bring in an antique dresser, eventually upgrade our nightstands, possibly change the lamp shades, etc). Oh and we might add little finials to the top of each bed post, just for a more finished look. We’ll see. The best thing ever is that even after raising the light a bit it’s still visible in the mirror when our heads hit the pillow in bed (see that magic, along with my hubby’s socks here). It’s a New Years Eve Miracle I tell ya.

Oh and about the absence of the bench at the foot of the bed in all the pics above. Such a short dark bench under the light was making the room look a bit top-heavy and unbalanced, but the one we’d like to someday upgrade to would ideally be as long (or almost as long) as the bed. We just thought removing it for some pics might help you guys “see” past that awkwardly small brown rectangle in the room. But for now it’s still in here since it serves a nice little Burger-related function (he hops on and off of it to get into the much-taller-than-our-last-one bed). So here’s how the bedroom actually looks these days, bench and all:

To go back to our post title (ah full circle, it’s like an episode of Family Ties) we, uh huh, uh huh, really like the new rug. And as for Clara and Burger, they love it too. Oddly enough for semi similar reasons: traction for Burger and texture for Clara. She likes to pet it and “pinch” the nubs, and he loves to run circles around it (which he can never do on slippery wood floors). Ah sweet rug victory. There’s nothing like it.

And now, just for fun, we’ll leave you with a shot of the room as it looked a little over two months ago. It really feels a lot more like “our room” than it did back then.

Gotta love that Christmas tree in the background.

1. Margaret says

Looks great! It’s really coming along :) I’ve been in my house 7 months and we still don’t have a rug in our bedroom! We’ve been looking here and there but we can never agree on what we want. Also we don’t have a headboard and our ceiling light is really old so really this all equals a really unromantic bedroom :(

He’s good. He loves to motor around on them since he gets more traction than on hardwoods, but we haven’t had any jute or wool casualties because of him (we usually stick to those materials because they’re so durable and easy-care).

The husband and I think alike, I was wondering the same thing scratch-wise. We have cats and I always worry that if we got a jute rug they would think it was a scratching post. So we try to stick to flat weave/low-pile/berber type rugs. I often wonder who owns who….

I noticed the bed difference right away and I was reading as fast as possible to get to the explaination! I do miss the top pieces a little but the light fixture does look great without them!

Does anyone with cats and jute have additional info for Rebecca and Mike? Burger’s claws are thicker and less pierce-y, so I’m not sure how cats + jute would do.

We have a circular jute rug that we purchased from Overstock under our kitchen table, and the cats seriously love that thing. We have a dog, too, who is totally fine with it but of course the cats treat it like a scratching post. So of course we are always doing the whole *clap clap!* “Viking, no scratching that!” and nudging them away from the rug…. seems like they will always love it since cats don’t tend to listen, ha.

Thanks Sarah!

I find it funny that you can teach dogs “No!” and they’ll always follow the command — you can also teach cats “No!” but 9 times out of 10 they won’t listen nor care that we’re standing there going, “No! Macky, no!”

We have a cat and a loose-weave jute rug. She pays very little attention to it (actually she had way more fun wrestling with my antique wool rug, grrr). We even have a jute rope scratching post that she loves, but it doesn’t seem to transfer to the rug at all. Her claws can get stuck though if she’s feisty and running circles.

• Leigh Anne says

I have a dog and a cat, and both could care less about our jute rug (we purchased the West Elm one a couple months ago). It helps that we have other scratching posts that our upright that I think our cat likes better anyway. As long as they have other options, I don’t think the rug would be that tempting.

We’ve actually noticed that the cheaper the rug, the more our cats like it. Which makes sense since their giant scratching post is covered in cheap carpeting (like the kind that leaves the crazy noticeable vacuum marks). So we normally try to go for things that are not as fluffy and appealing to scratch… though they’re completely unpredictable sometimes. We swore our one cat would be opening and closing the doors to our entertainment center constantly and he hasn’t touched it!

We recently got this Hemmet rug from Ikea and I think it’s pretty cat proof ::knock on wood!::::

• Sandye says

Regarding cats/rugs: I think you have to consider whether your cat is a horizontal or vertical scratcher. One of our cats (the vertically inclined) could care least what kind of rug we have, but we better have options available for scratching to keep her from the sides of our sofa and bed springs. The other cat, who only stratches on flat horizontal surfaces, takes out her anger on any type of carpet or rug so we avoid anything with loops, which alway seem to snag on her claws.

You just blew my mind Sandye! I have never had a cat (sad sniffle- I’m allergic) but I had no idea there were horizontal or vertical scratchers. So insanely interesting!

Very interesting! I guess I never thought of that because I’ve always had multiple cats and well, between 3 of them they seem to wreck every surface imaginable. One even chews paper so we can’t leave magazines out. We often feel like we run a zoo…but a very happy one :)

Thank you John & Sherry for hosting our little kitty discussion, it’s been very entertaining!

It’s beautiful. Love the texture, love the color, just love it.

The entire room is coming together so nicely.

p.s. I am so glad you’re not leaving the brown bench there — it really detracted from the look.

Okay. So actually I’m replying to the comment above, which for some reason is not showing a reply option at the moment. We have a cat and have had zero problems with our cat using our jute rug as a scratching post.

Thanks for sharing that info! We wish there were reply buttons to every comment below the original top one, but the way our coding works it only allows people to click reply below the original comment- but it’ll thread your response at the bottom of the chain, so it hopefully all makes sense at the end!

3. DebInNYC says

Good Morning,
    I love the rug and I must say my favorite part is Ed’s haircut! I think it make the light really pop!!!
    Good call as usual!

• Roshni says

Yes, I think that was the main criticism for poor ol’ light fixture… the fact that it was too close to the top slat and that the horizontal slat was actually visually impeding the effect of the light fixture! Glad you sorted it out but I’d love to see what modifications you have planned for the bed!

It’s all coming together nicely! Love to see the progress. Don’t know if you’ve ever blogged about this but what tips do you have for photographing your rooms? We’ve got a nice fancy cam but not sure about anything besides that. Tips for lighting, clearing clutter etc?

Yup, we clear clutter, shoot in A mode, remember to white balance, and just take a million pictures with different variations (with the lights on and off for example). Wish we had a big secret, but we just take lots of pics and choose the ones we like after we upload all of them, occasionally cropping and straightening in photoshop. Hope it helps!

5. debbie c says

Love the rug!! Don’t mind the bench at the foot of the bed either….have you considered recovering it? Where is that leather chair hiding these days? Would it fit over in the corner of the left side of the bed? Like the bed without the slats on the tops too and the finial idea would finish it off.

I love it, can we get some day time pics sometime? I love the soft pattern of the rug.
    I think switching up the bench will be great when that happens and I love that you’re playing around with Ed.
    For the bench, I’d like the simple look of something like this: – but maybe even simpler legs for your space (or maybe wood Xs if you ever move those night stands somewhere else)

Ooh that’s gorgeous. Love the link! Ideally ours would have some sort of storage (you know we’re addicted to storage ottomans, right) but who the heck knows where we’ll actually end up!

o.m.g I LOOOOOVE that link with the bench…it’s beautiful…I’m going to have to keep that in the back of my mind…maybe one day I’ll come across some reclaimed fence post’s of my own, ha!

Wow, I can’t get over how quickly you two can pull a room together! I know you’re not done yet, but yeesh! We’ve been in our place almost 4 years now, and we have yet to paint the master bedroom…

I’m loving yours so far!

8. Mary says

Moving the “New Year’s Eve Ball” up has totally made the difference for me!
    I’m liking the room so much better!! In all these years of following you the lower hanging “NYEB” was the only, underscore only, thing that ever bothered me!
    Glad we’re on the same page again! LOL!

9. Lorie Smith says

It’s beautiful! I really love everything you’ve done to your house…so inspiring. Quick question, is the big, tall mirror in your bedroom attached to the wall in any way? Just curious how you did it if it is. Thanks!

Yup, we got an anchoring kit from Home Depot. It just screws into the mirror and into the wall with an anchor to baby-proof it. Hope it helps!