Hanging Our Shower Curtain Higher (Ah, Much Better)

By the time we unpacked our shower curtain last week, it had been 48 hours since either of us had showered. And those two days were filled with lifting heavy objects, if you catch our whiff drift. So hanging the shower curtain was a welcome step in our moving process. What was not so welcome? This result:

You know we love hanging an extra long shower curtain all the way to the ceiling to add height to the room (the 95″ waffle curtain is from amazon.com and the 86″ fabric liner is from Bed Bath & Beyond by the way). But the trick doesn’t work so well when the tension rod you inherit is too stumpy to hang on the higher tile-less portion of your shower wall (it was literally about a half-inch too short to grab the slightly wider wall up top). Then the tricky part becomes being ok with the bottom of the extra-long curtain sitting bunched under the toilet seat.

We were not ok with it.

Which is why our first post-move trip to Home Depot was to get a new longer tension rod. And now we have this going on. Ooooh. Ahhh. Note: You can read more about raising your shower rod and finding extra long liners and curtains here.

It’s a small start in the process of making this bathroom feel a bit more like our own. It’s a great bathroom with lots of good stuff already, but not necessarily an overall style that we’d pick for ourselves. So eventually we’ll do some tweaks / upgrades / remodeling to make it more “us.” And yes, we’re definitely planning to swap out the light fixture for something smaller that doesn’t encroach as much on the newly hung ceiling-height shower curtain. And speaking of light, anyone who is wondering if it’s super dark with the shower curtain that high- amazingly it’s not. It sort of glows and light shines through the light curtain and the liner so the whole shower is lit up through the curtain if that makes sense. In our old house we didn’t even have a ceiling light (just a wall-mounted one above the mirror) and it was still nice and bright.

‘Til then, we at least get to enjoy nice finishes like these sleek stainless shower fixtures.

And these spa-like glass shelves:

We don’t really have a clear vision of what we’d eventually like our master bathroom to be, but there’s a good chance both of those items will be kept long term. The only thing we can say for certain will be going sooner rather than later is the mirrored door. Shocking I know. When have you known us to remove a mirror from our house? We can usually be found hanging them left and right.

But we already have a nice chunky floor length mirror in the bedroom (the one seen in this post, that I got Sherry as a surprise wedding gift) so there’s no need for the slightly less exciting door-mounted one a few steps away. Here’s hoping we don’t break it during removal and suffer a seven-year span of bad luck. And for anyone else out there who’s ready to remove a big mirror on their door or wall, we’ll be sure to post about our hopefully-not-bloody-at-all removal process when we get there…

Comments

Nice job – I love the shower curtain hung high like that, its a great improvement and I really like the SS items you already inherited :)

2. Kayla says

Next month my husband and I are moving into a really old, charming brownstone apartment with hardwood floors, high ceilings and crown moldings (YAY!). I can’t wait to apply all the cool DIY and decorating tips I’ve learned from your blog in our new space! The first thing I’m going to do is hang an x-long shower curtain (the one from your Amazon store!) at ceiling height in our tiny bathroom! Thanks so much for all your hard work and great ideas!

3. Maggie says

I LOVE it how Burger shows up randomly in a lot of pics. LOL! Do you encourage him to get in the pictures or is he really that attached to you? I know my cat, Gaby, would be my shadow too. : ) Either way, it cracks me up everytime. Looking good so far, guys. Keep up the great work.

4. Anuja says

Still a little confused… where did you get the actual longer tension rod from? I want to try the same technique with my bedroom window. I would like to extend the curtains and have the whole wall covered. Would that too be the use of extra long curtain rod?

Home Depot! But it’s only extendable to a certain length so you’d need to see how wide you need yours to be and hunt one down. JC Penney also sells extra long rods (that aren’t tension rods) which could work too.

We took a mirror off a closet door in our bedroom when we moved in. It looked a lot like the setup of yours. It was really easy too. All I did was have the hubby hold the mirror while I unscrewed it and it came off in about 2 minutes. I have to agree that I’m not a fan of mirrors held on by those little clips. I’m always afraid I’m going to close the door too hard and the mirror will break. Good luck with yours!

Looks like the mirror is just held in place with the mirror clips. Easy enough – unscrew the clips, remove mirror. ;) At least that’s the exact setup I had and I removed a rather large mirror solo without any issue.

7. Jackie says

I liked the extra long shower curtain in your old home, but I don’t like it in this new bathroom. It looks odd that it is all the way to the ceiling in my opinion.

Seems like you guys are getting quite a few things done quickly in the new house!

I love the height of the shower curtain! We did the same in our master bathroom, but not yet in our lower bath.

As for the mirror, my only advice is don’t lean it up against an open window, or you’ll end up with pieces everywhere when the wind gusts in! We had a similar mirror on one of our master bedroom walls which we removed when painting, intending to rehang it at least temporarily until we found a more interesting mirror. I found one on clearance the next week though, so we avioded the 7 years of bad luck I guess!

Do you ever get overwhelmed by the number of projects you consider necessary? Or are you just looking forward to the clean slate that the new house offers? I admire you for being so hands-on and expeditious :)

We’re loving all the new projects swirling around in our heads! The only slightly overwhelming part is people asking for photos of every single thing we plan to do all at once. We’ll definitely be making over our house in real time as we go- so nothing is going to be an instant after! Hopefully people are in it for the journey and not just the destination. We always prefer the journey more anyway because when we’re “done” we get antsy and bored. Haha.

2 things: doesn’t the higher curtain impede on the steam’s ability to escape? Or do you vent like crazy when you get out (and leave the curtain open for a while)? You may have just been lucky to not have mold issues in your last house, I’d watch carefully to see how the area clears moisture.

And, the long tension rod… I had a heckuva time finding one long enough for my last house. Finally found one that was advertised as a “closet rod” at Ace hardware. Very long, very, very sturdy. I sprayed it with rustoleum to make it more suitable for wet conditions.

Love the blog, perhaps you’ll visit mine sometime – I’m getting ready to do a bathroom, too!

Hey Holiday,

Great tip about the “closet rod” at Ace! Thanks for sharing. As for the steam issue you bring up, we’ve been showering for a good week now and there’s no issue with steam which escapes out the sides and the top (it’s not sealed like tupperware, so there are one or two inch gaps all around it).

11. Molly P-H says

Look at the b-man getting double the exposure by posing in front of the mirror. That savvy little devil. I’m telling you, mom and dad, I think he’s wistful about his blog. ;). So happy that y’all keep posting even in a holiday week — you’re champs!! Love experiencing the house with you!!