Our Family Christmas Card (Dog Pajamas Included)

As we head into the holiday weekend, we’re looking forward to watching “the kids” unwrap their presents (yes, Burger gets some too), gorging on goodies, and spending time with family and friends. But before the festivities officially begin, we wanted to take a moment to say HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you guys!

The image above was the Christmas card that we sent out to our family and friends (in case you can’t see, the text reads: “Hope you get your mitts on everything that you want this season“). This is the template we used through Snapfish (we just provided the pic and the wording of the note and they printed 40 5 x 7 cards on matte photo paper & provided envelopes for each one to the tune of around $25 thanks to a coupon code that we googled around for).

Getting the shot was a bit more involved than our previous years’ cards (which starred Burger as a reindeer, a kiss-monger, and a big brother in waiting) since we had a dog and a baby to work with this time (everything from getting Burger to actually wear his trapdoor sleeper to keeping both of our models in place was a bit of a challenge). But we had tons of fun watching Clara try to lick Burger for a change (weird, but true). And since we know you guys love behind the scenes stuff, here’s our “set” of sheepskins in the ol’ den where we shot it in early December:

Notice the block acting as Clara’s stand-in while she was getting a diaper change? Oh and here’s a fun fact, Sherry actually photoshopped that bow on Clara’s head after we uploaded the pic since there’s no hair to clip a real bow to yet. Anyway, happy holidays to all! May your days be merry and bright- and may your chihuahuas (and other various family members) be held tight.

Psst- We announced this week’s giveaway winner. Click here to see if it’s you.

Comments

1. Shannon says

Awwwww! So gosh darn precious!
    Is it just me or does Clara make you think of the HP baby singing “I’ve got a brand new pair of roller skates”?

2. Lorrie says

Absolutely adorable!!!

I am so amazed that you can always get Burger to sit still. We made a family portrait with our dogs last year and one of them ended up on his back, upside down looking at the camera!

3. Vonda says

Merry Christmas! Love the card but was wondering if you taped the bow to her head or what. Gotta love photoshop!

I would’ve thought that was a professional portrait – but I read your site so much that I knew you’d make the set yourself at home! And voila – I was right! I must buy faux sheepskins because OBVIOUSLY they work for EVERYTHING!

5. Jennifer says

After my daughter’s first bath in the hospital, the nurse brought her back to me with a bow in her hair using the KY jelly trick mentioned above :-)

I love your Christmas card! I bet the out-takes are hilarious :-)

6. Nina says

My cousin used to tape bows in her daughters hair, or on her head since she had no hair. Its a great picture!

I didn’t have hair for a long time when I was a baby and my mom used to velcro bows to my head…I prefer your photoshop idea instead lol

8. Rosi T says

My cousin one in my family has a bunch of a little bows she puts on her daughters head without a clip, she just puts some ky jelly on the back of the bow and puts it on her head and somehow it sticks, it works great :)