Decorating Our Green, Pink, And Metallic Christmas Tree

Yes, we’re those people.

I personally get irritated whenever stores skip holidays. For example, if I’m walking around Target and they have Christmas stuff out but it’s not even Thanksgiving. Not ready yet. Let me get through Turkey Day before you push your red & white santas and snowmen on me. But this year we did the unthinkable…

… we set up our Christmas tree before Thanksgiving. I’m so sorry. Feel free to virtually slap us or break out an “oh no you di’int.”

We’ve already warned our Thanksgiving guests, and thankfully they acted like it was some fun novelty. So we’ll be able to tell you firsthand if turkey and mashed potatoes taste less Thanksgiving-ish when eaten in the same room as a big glowing Christmas tree.

Why the rush? Well, we usually like to decorate our tree the first week of December. Sometimes the second if we’re not especially on the ball. But since we’re moving in mid December we decided that in order to enjoy it for the three-weeks-or-so period that we normally do, especially since it’s Clara’s first Christmas, we had to break that baby out a bit early this year (before we have to pack everything up for the move in a few weeks).

Our color scheme this time around is champagne, metallic green, silver, and pink – all in honor of Clara’s aforementioned first Christmas (check out last year’s citrus theme here, and the year before that’s monchromatic scheme here). Thankfully we already owned a lot of silver and champagne colored ornaments so we got the pink bulbs along with some metallic green ones for $20-ish at Michael’s (where they were having a half-price holiday ornament sale). I was going for something frosted and girly but not too feminine for the guys in the house (I resisted the urge to bring in some over the top pink feathered boas as garland with John and Burger in mind). Speaking of our four-legged son, this festive chihuahua ornament (from John’s Godmother) is too hysterical not to put up- even though it’s not technically pink, silver, green, or champagne.

Ditto for our just married moose ornament (it’s a bride moose and a groom moose, procured during our Alaskan honeymoon). So even though it’s hardly glam and baby-girl-esque, it’s too sentimental to leave out:

And you already may have noticed a few other personalized ornaments that worked their way in- like this silver (yes, it even fits into our color scheme) Empire State Building ornament that reminds us of our early days in NYC.

In the end we love how soft and sweet it looks (John approves, and Burger seems oblivious as always). Definitely baby-girl-ish, but not too overdone and pastel-y to work in a room with a geometric rug and a clean-lined modern sofa. And of course I tossed down our faux sheepskin rugs as a tree skirt (an odd tradition that we’ve kept up for the past 4+ years).

Oh yeah, and for the second year in a row we’ve had a bit of an issue with the pre-lit tree (the bottom strand of lights was out, but the solution was as simple as stringing a strand of lights around the bottom to correct it). I’m sure we could try to find the bulb that’s burned out to fix it for real, but the added-strand-o-lights approach works just as easily for us (since we already had one around).

And just in case you’re one of those Christmas enthusiasts who not only likes checking out a tree in November, but actually wants to see us put it all together at high speed (like John’s old coworker who starts playing holiday music the day after Labor Day- hi Lauren!) here’s a holly jolly video for you (complete with that burned out string of lights at the bottom of the tree and a baby who wants nothing more than to eat every ornament we hold within her reach). Or you can watch it here on YouTube.

So that’s our tree this year. What about you guys? Any fun color schemes or themes swimming around in your head for your own tree decorating adventures in a few weeks (edible? jewel toned? Jersey Shore inspired?). Let’s chat. If you’re ready, that is. If not feel free to wait the obligatory week or so to join the conversation.

Psssst- If you’re excited to get into your red footie pajamas and go holiday crazy, check out this section of our Projects page for lots of Christmas-related stuff.

1. Brittany says

I totally understand putting it up early! Just because you put up a Christmas tree doesn’t mean you aren’t thankful. It just says hey, if I am going to put a lot of work into decorating than I might as well enjoy it for a while :) I personally use the all silver theme but I am going to add a little bit of color by using pops of red in my wrapping paper. I love the idea of using the fur rug as a tree skirt! I may do that!!

LOVE that video! I might just have to snag that song and use it for my own holiday video. Made me want to dance :)

BTW, kudos to you for mastering the art of getting stuff done with a baby in your arms. It’s quite a work out, isn’t it? (said while I’m typing with a baby in my arms)

3. Amanda says

I am thrilled you did this. I was planning on going through your past Holiday archives tonight. My boyfriend and I are putting our tree up this weekend (I would of put it up the weekend that just passed but he wasn’t home)

Although, last year my tree was up on Rememberance Day! (I’m Canadian so the whole Turkey Day thing doesn’t effect me!) First year with a tree in my own apartment does that I guess! But I wasn’t feeling it this year. I’m so feeling it now !

I do have a question; I love the idea of using sheep (faux) skin as a non traditional tree skirt but I’m not really into fur per-say. I was thinking of a blanket — I would just have to find the right one. What other suggestions do you have for non-traditional tree skirts? (I didn’t have one last year — my trees feet were cold; hah!)

Oh yeah, a blanket would be cute, or even a series of pashminas or winter scarves wrapped around the base of the tree. Anyone else have fun alternative tree skirt ideas for Amanda?

I love Christmas and in order to maximize it and not have to start my decorating in December I did it this past weekend. We always go to the beach for Thanksgiving so if I don’t decorate the weekend before, it runs into December. However, by New Years I am so ready to take it all down. Christmas carols are playing on the radio in my office right now. I LOVE IT!

5. Kate says

My husband and I are doing our first tree this year! We’ve been married two years, but didn’t bother doing a tree last year. This year we have a couple ornaments (“first Christmas” ones last year from our parents, and a couple other random ones) so we’re going to steal a little table top tree from my mom-in-law (or go buy one if we can’t steal that one; but she has about 5 so we’re hoping…) and decorate our little tree!

6. Jenna says

My family has a tradition of getting an ornament each year. My main tree is a nostalgic collection of all the ornaments I have received over the years. We also have a second tree in the family room dedicated to my daughter. Its covered in pink decorations, feather boas, fairies and butterflies. Not at all traditional or Christmas-y but everyone loves it and it makes her happy.

7. Ann says

You would be surprised how passionately people feel about this subject… For example, I needed a Christmas tree two weeks ago and while purchasing it, I cannot tell you how many people were glaring at me as if to say, “Don’t you know the natural order of things?!” Well, let me tell ye who vehemently despise early displays of festivity. Some people, such as those whose husbands are deploying to the Middle East for all the holidays, need to celebrate together as a family in October. I can’t tell you how thankful I was so see trees out in October this year. So please do not grimace at the premature caroling folks.

Wow thats early! We go with a more European tradition of getting our tree the night before Christmas and having a party decorating it. Its always a mystery what type of tree we will get, because pickings are slim the night before Christmas. BUT… we usually get our tree for free or $5 or $10. Last year we paid nothing (‘cept for home baked cookies) and we had a 8ft tall tree in a 9ft tall living room :) Talk about fun overkill! I think the tag on our tree last year was $140 (southern california), not bad for the price of some cookies.

9. Lindsey says

I’m so excited about decorating for Christmas this year, thanks, I think, to the new pre-lit artificial tree I ordered on sale from Ideeli. I’ve been counting down the days until its arrival and it came today! I’m halfway through setting up the tree, but had to take a break (I’m home sick today) to rest.

My decorating scheme is set to complement the tree — which I’m insanely happy about because it’s WHITE (the better to lighten up my dark living room)! So turquoise, lime green, dark purple and hot pink ornaments, along with some ornaments from my childhood that must go on the tree.

Normally I don’t decorate until the weekend after Thanksgiving, but excitement about my new tree, the late holiday and going out of town right after Thanksgiving has me decorating early,

I’m looking forward to see your baby-proof tree next year. My little one is 18 months which added a whole new layer of Christmas decorating complication. Stockings can’t be hung on the mantle because they are the perfect reaching distance for a toddler……And safe ornaments on the lower half of the tree….etc. Once things were set up this weekend we let him have full reign to see what else was a potential hazzard, not earlier recognized. But I must admit, we love having a little babe around for the holidays. Makes it so much more magical!

11. tarynkay says

I never even knew people had Christmas tree themes until, well, now. Your tree looks great! We wait till later into December to put the tree up, but we don’t take it down until after Christmas is over, which for us is at Ephiphany (January 6) though some people keep it going until The Feast of Presentation (February 2) So keeping the tree up till February is totally legitimate! The first Christmas that my parents were married, they owned no ornaments and were so poor that they decorated the tree with my mother’s hair ribbons. This was adorable, but ever since, it has been one of the goals of my mother’s life to make sure that each of her children left home with a full box of Christmas ornaments.

That video is AWESOME! My almost three-year-old keep saying “again again” when it ended and my one-year-kept making the sign for “more.” I think they loved Clara–perhaps they can relate? We already started decorating. But I’m trying to keep the Christmas decor away from the Thanksgiving decor. I don’t want to cause any holiday confusion in the tots’ little brains.