Decorating Our Green, Pink, And Metallic Christmas Tree

Yes, we’re those people.

I personally get irritated whenever stores skip holidays. For example, if I’m walking around Target and they have Christmas stuff out but it’s not even Thanksgiving. Not ready yet. Let me get through Turkey Day before you push your red & white santas and snowmen on me. But this year we did the unthinkable…

… we set up our Christmas tree before Thanksgiving. I’m so sorry. Feel free to virtually slap us or break out an “oh no you di’int.”

We’ve already warned our Thanksgiving guests, and thankfully they acted like it was some fun novelty. So we’ll be able to tell you firsthand if turkey and mashed potatoes taste less Thanksgiving-ish when eaten in the same room as a big glowing Christmas tree.

Why the rush? Well, we usually like to decorate our tree the first week of December. Sometimes the second if we’re not especially on the ball. But since we’re moving in mid December we decided that in order to enjoy it for the three-weeks-or-so period that we normally do, especially since it’s Clara’s first Christmas, we had to break that baby out a bit early this year (before we have to pack everything up for the move in a few weeks).

Our color scheme this time around is champagne, metallic green, silver, and pink – all in honor of Clara’s aforementioned first Christmas (check out last year’s citrus theme here, and the year before that’s monchromatic scheme here). Thankfully we already owned a lot of silver and champagne colored ornaments so we got the pink bulbs along with some metallic green ones for $20-ish at Michael’s (where they were having a half-price holiday ornament sale). I was going for something frosted and girly but not too feminine for the guys in the house (I resisted the urge to bring in some over the top pink feathered boas as garland with John and Burger in mind). Speaking of our four-legged son, this festive chihuahua ornament (from John’s Godmother) is too hysterical not to put up- even though it’s not technically pink, silver, green, or champagne.

Ditto for our just married moose ornament (it’s a bride moose and a groom moose, procured during our Alaskan honeymoon). So even though it’s hardly glam and baby-girl-esque, it’s too sentimental to leave out:

And you already may have noticed a few other personalized ornaments that worked their way in- like this silver (yes, it even fits into our color scheme) Empire State Building ornament that reminds us of our early days in NYC.

In the end we love how soft and sweet it looks (John approves, and Burger seems oblivious as always). Definitely baby-girl-ish, but not too overdone and pastel-y to work in a room with a geometric rug and a clean-lined modern sofa. And of course I tossed down our faux sheepskin rugs as a tree skirt (an odd tradition that we’ve kept up for the past 4+ years).

Oh yeah, and for the second year in a row we’ve had a bit of an issue with the pre-lit tree (the bottom strand of lights was out, but the solution was as simple as stringing a strand of lights around the bottom to correct it). I’m sure we could try to find the bulb that’s burned out to fix it for real, but the added-strand-o-lights approach works just as easily for us (since we already had one around).

And just in case you’re one of those Christmas enthusiasts who not only likes checking out a tree in November, but actually wants to see us put it all together at high speed (like John’s old coworker who starts playing holiday music the day after Labor Day- hi Lauren!) here’s a holly jolly video for you (complete with that burned out string of lights at the bottom of the tree and a baby who wants nothing more than to eat every ornament we hold within her reach). Or you can watch it here on YouTube.

So that’s our tree this year. What about you guys? Any fun color schemes or themes swimming around in your head for your own tree decorating adventures in a few weeks (edible? jewel toned? Jersey Shore inspired?). Let’s chat. If you’re ready, that is. If not feel free to wait the obligatory week or so to join the conversation.

Psssst- If you’re excited to get into your red footie pajamas and go holiday crazy, check out this section of our Projects page for lots of Christmas-related stuff.

1. Shreya says

I love the pink accents for Clara’s first Christmas!

Quick question: I recall you mentioning that the tree was from Target, would you remember which one it was exactly?

Thanks much!

Hmm, don’t remember at all. And now that we keep it in a red bag instead of a box we don’t know how we’d find the name. All I know is that it’s tall and skinny (as opposed to super wide) since we didn’t have room for something more “robust.” Hope it helps!

2. danyelle says

I found once my kids were born, I get more and more excited every year for Christmas. By the ways you said “we have already warned our Thanksgiving guests” Tell me with this move only a few weeks away you are also hosting Thanksgiving??

I love it! I put our (new) tree up the weekend of the 12th and we finished all of the other decorations this past weekend- including (gasp!) the front door “swag.” We leave to go see our families for the holidays on the 16th, so I too feel “cheated” out of quality Christmas tree time if I don’t do it before Thanksgiving. The only thing left is that I would really like to do real evergreen garland on our staircase banister, but not entirely sure if that’s going to happen this year.

I always look forward to your holiday posts for some inspiration, and you certainly didn’t disappoint with your color scheme this year. It looks great! Hope to see more holiday related posts soon.

I wanted to ask too… since it is Clara’s first Christmas and your are moving mid-December, does that mean the tree will go up again once you get to the new house? Decorating twice in one year- fun!

We’re thinking we’ll definitely hang stockings and do some other Christmas decorating at the new house, but we’re not sure about the tree. If we have energy we’ll definitely break it out again- if not, at least we got to enjoy it here for a few weeks!

5. Krystal says

GAH! I just LOVE Christmas decorations (yes, we’re the people with 18 inflatable decorations in our front yard, 67 boxes of lights on the house & mailbox, and yes, we also have the music box that synchronizes with our light show)! I know you said your “add a stand of lights” method worked just fine, but if you ever feel the need to fix the tree (we have trouble with our prelit every year) there’s this amazing red gun looking thing (typically found at hardware stores) that you just scan over the tree and it beeps when it finds the troublesome bulb. Works like a charm every time!

6. Stephanie says

You know, that doesn’t bother me(the tree part), even though I’m that “Thanksgiving comes FIRST” person. I have neighbors who decorated the entire outside of their house on 11/1 (to the point where we’re pretty sure Santa threw up on the house). THAT! Annoys me.

Do you buy new decorations every year? We have collectable decorations that we use, so I never really go into the themed decorating. Never have room!

Hey Stephanie,

We usually have a $20-ish limit for a few new things to switch things up every year when it comes to holiday decorating. For example, we already had silver and champagne ornaments along with silver bows, so we added in some half-price pink bulbs and a few metallic green ones for a while new look to commemorate the major change in our lives (Clara) that we’re celebrating this year. As for storage, we have two large tupperware bins stuffed with bulbs that we keep in the basement (the new pink and green bulbs should fit in there as well) so that’s what works for us!

I understand the decorating early. I usually hate to decorate early but I am already in the middle of Christmas craziness because we agreed to do a charity tour of homes. I’m a late decorator and then we keep it up till epiphany. This year though I bet I will be sick of the decorations by New Years.

Love the Champagne vibe. I’m really into the metallics especially with the personal ornaments mixed in. Also, Kudos for putting the tree up then having to do it all over again when you move.

8. Johnna says

As a child of divorced parents, with a now completely overbearing mother in law, I find myself grinching hard core by the time Christmas comes around.

That said…I have been listening to Christmas music and begging to put our tree up since OCTOBER!!!!!!!!! EARLY October!!! The idea being that in order to capatilize on the Holiday Spirit my hubby and I could enjoy the holiday on 10/25…then when people start getting picky about where we go for the holiday, we don’t need to stress! LOL! The husband put the kabosh on that one FAST! Oh well…

Needless to say I love that your tree is up and I am chomping at the bit to get ours up Friday!!! WAAAAHHHHOOOOO!!!!!

Happy First Christmas, Clara!!!!

Since we use a real tree (North Carolina fraiser fir are the very best in my opionion) we wait until around the second weekend of December. Our tradition also includes a stopover at Krispie Kreme. :)

The tree looks great! I was tempted to get our Christmas decor our last weekend but couldn’t get into the spirit of things just yet. I have a feeling I’ll regret it once Thanksgiving is over and Christmas activities are in full swing!

P.S. We also put a tree up right before we moved from our apartment to our house because it was our first married Christmas, so I totally understand that you want to enjoy it!

11. Melissa says

I love your tree. This year I am embarking on a huge ornament crafting project. I am making felt ornaments for the tree ala the latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens. I found that is a the perfect solution for my toddler. I was really worried about having glass ball ornaments on the tree since my girl is curious about all things shiny and colorful, plus she is quick like ninja. I love the traditional look of the glass ornaments, but toddler safety is always the first concern. With felt ornaments, I can decorate the whole tree (not just the top half) and make my own color scheme. Awesome!

Hey Joyce C,

We record the whole decorating process on our Flip HD camera, upload it onto our computer, and use iMovie (we have version 9) to speed things up. We usually make things around 2000 percent faster, so although it took us around 45 minutes to decorate the tree, we got a nice short summary thanks to high speed editing.