Decorating Our Green, Pink, And Metallic Christmas Tree

Yes, we’re those people.

I personally get irritated whenever stores skip holidays. For example, if I’m walking around Target and they have Christmas stuff out but it’s not even Thanksgiving. Not ready yet. Let me get through Turkey Day before you push your red & white santas and snowmen on me. But this year we did the unthinkable…

… we set up our Christmas tree before Thanksgiving. I’m so sorry. Feel free to virtually slap us or break out an “oh no you di’int.”

We’ve already warned our Thanksgiving guests, and thankfully they acted like it was some fun novelty. So we’ll be able to tell you firsthand if turkey and mashed potatoes taste less Thanksgiving-ish when eaten in the same room as a big glowing Christmas tree.

Why the rush? Well, we usually like to decorate our tree the first week of December. Sometimes the second if we’re not especially on the ball. But since we’re moving in mid December we decided that in order to enjoy it for the three-weeks-or-so period that we normally do, especially since it’s Clara’s first Christmas, we had to break that baby out a bit early this year (before we have to pack everything up for the move in a few weeks).

Our color scheme this time around is champagne, metallic green, silver, and pink – all in honor of Clara’s aforementioned first Christmas (check out last year’s citrus theme here, and the year before that’s monchromatic scheme here). Thankfully we already owned a lot of silver and champagne colored ornaments so we got the pink bulbs along with some metallic green ones for $20-ish at Michael’s (where they were having a half-price holiday ornament sale). I was going for something frosted and girly but not too feminine for the guys in the house (I resisted the urge to bring in some over the top pink feathered boas as garland with John and Burger in mind). Speaking of our four-legged son, this festive chihuahua ornament (from John’s Godmother) is too hysterical not to put up- even though it’s not technically pink, silver, green, or champagne.

Ditto for our just married moose ornament (it’s a bride moose and a groom moose, procured during our Alaskan honeymoon). So even though it’s hardly glam and baby-girl-esque, it’s too sentimental to leave out:

And you already may have noticed a few other personalized ornaments that worked their way in- like this silver (yes, it even fits into our color scheme) Empire State Building ornament that reminds us of our early days in NYC.

In the end we love how soft and sweet it looks (John approves, and Burger seems oblivious as always). Definitely baby-girl-ish, but not too overdone and pastel-y to work in a room with a geometric rug and a clean-lined modern sofa. And of course I tossed down our faux sheepskin rugs as a tree skirt (an odd tradition that we’ve kept up for the past 4+ years).

Oh yeah, and for the second year in a row we’ve had a bit of an issue with the pre-lit tree (the bottom strand of lights was out, but the solution was as simple as stringing a strand of lights around the bottom to correct it). I’m sure we could try to find the bulb that’s burned out to fix it for real, but the added-strand-o-lights approach works just as easily for us (since we already had one around).

And just in case you’re one of those Christmas enthusiasts who not only likes checking out a tree in November, but actually wants to see us put it all together at high speed (like John’s old coworker who starts playing holiday music the day after Labor Day- hi Lauren!) here’s a holly jolly video for you (complete with that burned out string of lights at the bottom of the tree and a baby who wants nothing more than to eat every ornament we hold within her reach). Or you can watch it here on YouTube.

So that’s our tree this year. What about you guys? Any fun color schemes or themes swimming around in your head for your own tree decorating adventures in a few weeks (edible? jewel toned? Jersey Shore inspired?). Let’s chat. If you’re ready, that is. If not feel free to wait the obligatory week or so to join the conversation.

Psssst- If you’re excited to get into your red footie pajamas and go holiday crazy, check out this section of our Projects page for lots of Christmas-related stuff.

Comments

1. Tracy Lee says

I too am anti-christmas decorations before Thanksgiving, but because we just moved, we decided that while we were unpacking, we might as well just unpack our Christmas Trees (yeah, that’s right, PLURAL) and get them decorated anyway instead of storing them for another week. LOL, I feel so cheesey.

I have 2 trees so I have 2 different color schemes. The large main tree is turquoise and brown with lots of metallics, with some “natural” elements added, such as peacock feathers and pinecones. I guess I like combining rustic with glam!

The smaller 3 foot tree is red,hot pink, and purple (the kids’ tree, and they chose the colors, LOL). I am sad to not have a “traditional” Christmas theme this year, but having some unexpected colors is also fun (and the large Christmas tree doesn’t seem TOO out of place for Thanksgiving, since it matches all my Thanksgiving decor)

2. Kristen Dalton says

I love the tree, and you guys had a very good excuse for putting it up early!

Where did you get the ESB ornament? My fiance and I got engaged there, and it would be a great ornament to add to our “sentimental” collection!

3. Veronica says

Love the tree and love that Clara does a “taste check” on all the ornaments with John before they go up! Have a great Thanksgiving guys! :)

4. Christina says

I too am one of those people that can’t stand anything Christmas before Thanksgiving. I refuse to listen to Xmas music until Turkey day is completely over. But, your reasoning convinced me it was worthwhile. It looks good!

5. Jamie says

With all the snow falling at my house in UT and a blizzard warning this afternoon I decided to put my tree up last night, amongst all my Turkey Day decor. Normally I wait until the day after Thanksgiving to put it up but I just couldn’t resist.

6. Angela says

Wow! I always look forward to seeing how you decorate for Christmas so this was a nice surprise.

Does Clara have an ornament commemorating her first Christmas?

Your tree is beautiful. I think the personal ornaments are what make a Christmas tree special. I like to collect a new one each year, but somehow I always forget!

This year I am trying to figure out how to toddler-proof our tree. Last year everything that was breakable made it’s way toward the top of the tree. This year I think that the entire tree needs to be child-friendly, since our 2.5 year old will now move furniture around to get to what she wants.

We might be making ornaments out of pine cones and Styrofoam balls this weekend!

8. Jeri says

We’re going full-on girly this year for our 3 (almost 4) year old daughter and doing a Pink Candy Christmas theme. Lots of sequins, glitter, candy ornaments, and obv pink. Yeah, the husband is thrilled (ha!).
    Your tree looks awesome, and definitely get a pass on the too-early tree this year. Thanks for sharing!

9. jja says

I LOVE yur video!
    What I don’t like is the fact that the tree is not real. It would smell like a tree :-) and ecology is also happy since we don’t cut/take just any tree, then those which have been specially grown for christimas, so called one year trees … no environmental damage.
    Greetings from Germany

10. Patricia says

I love the sentimental ornaments way better than anything else on that tree. Sentimental christmas items are what I think make Christmas the best. My boyfriend and I are going to buy an ornament every year. We bought Space Alien in honor of Toy Story 3, 1 of the movies we saw together this year and really liked. We don’t own a tree yet but my aunt just gave me the mini tree that my grandparents used for about 6 years when they lived in an apartment. I hope that as you and your LOVELY family collect more ornaments that mean things to you guys, that your Christmas tree will not have a theme but will be a mish mash of colorful ornaments! That’s my hope for you guys anyways. :p Then when Clara’s 50 years old, she can inheriet them and tell her kids about them all and what they mean!!

Love it!!

We put our tree up last weekend, too. Normally we’re after Thanksgiving folks, too, but I got all my Christmas shopping done early this year and I wanted to get my wrapping done. Wrapped presents just aren’t fun without a tree to hang out with!!

Plus, there’s this pesky PhD program I’m in, so if I procrastinate for a single minute, it’s like wasting a day. So, do now what can be done later, but likely won’t be!

Can’t wait to see everything put together in the new house, too!!