Two Christmas Surprises

Nope, we didn’t find out that we’re having twins. There’s definitely just one little guy or girl in there (we actually found out the bean’s sex the day before Christmas Eve and will be revealing it shortly so stay tuned for that…). But we also discovered two unexpected and totally amazing holiday gifts waiting for us in our PO Box when we checked it one last time before heading over to John’s family’s house on the 24th.

One item was a box from one of our lovely readers who attached a note that said she enjoyed our blog regularly and referenced my love of ceramic animals. Of course I could hardly contain myself as I tore open the package to see what little white creature would be joining my faux-managerie. And I literally squealed with glee when I learned it was a small ceramic peacock in the most clean and elegant snow globe I’d ever seen. I’d actually been eying this baby from West Elm for months, so imagine my surprise when it arrived out of thin air from sweet Katie in Texas. What a fantastic and unexpected gift! Here’s my regal little peacock in all of her fine feathered white ceramic glory:

And here she is living it up on our living room side table after a little snowstorm ensued:

Isn’t that fun? We’re so glad to have something decorative to post about since we actually received a ton of baby stuff from the family for the holidays so we didn’t think we’d even have a holiday gift post because there was nary a home-decor-related object in sight. But we said there were two surprises right? Well, back to that. The other item in our PO Box was a large flat envelope, which also came with a sweet card from another one of our readers named Steph (coincidentally also from Texas- my you guys are kind down there!) saying that she enjoyed keeping up with us and our blog and wished us a very happy holiday. And look what we found inside:

Yes that is custom art work of our furbaby Burger! And yes we are in love with it. Of course the sender mentioned that she knew we adored having portraits of our beloved four-legger around and she thought this one could be added to our existing collection:

Isn’t it a fantastic little ode to our favorite pooch? We just kept staring at it in awe (so pretty! so realistic! so generous!). So that’s how this post about holiday house stuff came to be. The kindness of strangers. Well, except that we consider all of our readers to be friends, and this is exactly why. Thanks Katie and Steph! Two gushing thank you notes are already in the mail…

But what about you guys? Did you get anything home related for the holidays? Any huge surprises like a new car or twins or a leopard print snuggie? Do tell.

Comments

1. Jennifer says

How fun! It is always great to receive unexpected things in the mail. I would love to know where you got the cartoon-like illustrated rendering of Burger. I would love to get one made of my English bulldog, Oliver!

Hey Jennifer,

That was actually drawn by my friend Heather on my “wall” in Facebook with the Graffiti application. I loved it so much I printed it out and framed it on the spot. Art really can come from anywhere! Why not try whipping up one of your own in “paint” or even with markers? The looser and sketchier, the better!

That painting is INCREDIBLE! I have zero artistic talent, so I’m totally in awe of people with so much talent!!

One of our fav gifts was a hammock and stand from my parents. They told us we need more R & R in our life so they were hoping to help us out! Sooo excited to soak up some sunshine in that baby next summer!

3. Lori H says

I love both the peacock and the Burger portrait! My daughter requested and received the leopard Snuggie for her 18th bday which was the 23rd. But no real surprise gifts this year.

Happy New Year!

we’re waiting with bated-breath to hear about the twins next week (seriously)…but as for home-related gifts, my parents got me a print by one of our favorite cape cod artists, timothy struna, so i can now complete the beachy/nautical gallery wall i’ve been planning for our hallway.

What fun gifts from your readers! :)

We were thrilled to receive a dishwasher from my in-laws! Our house (we bought it in late August) came with a portable dishwasher that flooded our kitchen the first time we used it. My in-laws bought us a Kenmore something-or-other (it’s still in the box, actually) and my handy FIL will be helping my husband cut apart the cabinets to build it in. Can’t wait!

6. Christin says

We received a gorgeous handmade, all maple wood rocking chair from my in-laws. It’s from a place in PA that makes all hardwood, handmade furniture. It’s absolutely BEAUTIFUL and a huge surprise!

7. Stefani says

Well that is just so sweet and lovely that you got those gifts!

I have to say, when I scrolled down to the picture of Burger, and read your note about it saying look what we got, I studied the picture for a second, and thought, “what? A new collar?” And then I suddenly realized it was a painting of Burger! I had actually thought it was a real picture of him wearing some new gift… that’s some talent!

We may be crazy too…because we have photos of our dogs in at least half of the rooms in our house :)

My husbands parents got us a new set of Cuisinart Greenware pots and pans (after they asked what we wanted and I handed over the specifics). I LOVE them and I got rid of all our yucky teflon right away!

9. jennifer says

that peacock is so, SO fabulous!! I collect things with peacocks, I even have a peacock-themed christmas tree. I must have that!! West Elm, you say?

I didn’t get a whole lot that was particularly “home-related” myself, but I did buy myself a beautiful glass tray with hummingbirds on it with xmas money, and my parents gave me a sewing machine! I can certainly make things for my home with it. I plan on starting with new bedroom curtains–wish me luck.

I hope YHL had a wonderful christmas! we love you :)

10. Amy says

How sweet of your readers!

Our surprise was just… awesome. I am still having trouble coming up with words to say how much I love this- My hubby’s parents are super-creative-crafty-DIYers. They gave us some cool wall art very much like what the Frame the Date company does, except they did it in letters with our last name. And the hubby grew up in Rochester, NY, so it’s all pics from around there. AND they matted and framed it all themselves. I wish I had a pic of it uploaded to share, but I don’t quite yet. I am still trying to pick the perfect spot to hang it!