A List Of Our Favorite Home Design Magazines

Lately we’ve received more than a few dozen requests for a post about our favorite remaining shelter magazines. After the sniffle inducing loss of favorite glossies like Domino, Cottage Living, Country Home, InStyle Home and O At Home, people wanna know what we’re loving, so here’s our rundown of the mags that we run to the mailbox for each month:

House Beautiful is always a super inspiring read. From paint color suggestions to high-end rooms, this magazine dishes out gorgeous eye candy on the regular. Are the prices reasonable to cheapskates like us? Heck no. Is everything easily accessible? Not on your life (a lot of stuff is only available to the trade- aka: designers). But we actually like that their primary audience is high-priced interior designers because it’s a great way for us to peek into their “club” and see what they’re loving so we can reimagine their spendy ideas on a budget.

Better Homes & Gardens is a more DIY focused read with a ton of applicable and doable ideas for the taking. From small projects to color scheme inspiration and gardening suggestions, this is a great well-rounded read for anyone looking to spruce up their home in a weekend or even an afternoon.

Do It Yourself is another project-focused glossy with articles like “how to paint almost anything” and “build your own coffee table.” While it only comes out four times a year, it’s a great resource for tons of DIY inspiration and it’s super helpful to keep around for reference (since they routinely include tips and tricks for tackling almost every project from hanging art to painting fabric). And although we might seem a bit biased now that we’re regular contributers, we’ve always loved their thrifty hands-on approach to home decor- which is probably why it’s such a perfect fit for us!

Just like our house, our magazine selections are a nice mix of affordable design with the occasional splurge stuck in there for eye candy and inspiration. A few other glossies that we always devour at Barnes & Noble (we can’t subscribe to all of them!) are: ReadyMade, Traditional Home, Veranda, Elle Decor, Metropolitan Home, Sunset, Dwell and Coastal Living (there’s a new editor in town, so it’s looking much better these days). Oh and we really like the more lifestyle-related pubs like Real Simple & Martha Stewart Living since they touch on other important home-related activities like organization and cleaning.

John also enjoys Men’s Health Living, but seeing as they’ve only put out two of them in two years, he might have to wait a while for another one. And of course if you’re a local Richmonder (and even if you’re not) R. Home is a good read- and we’re not just saying that because we have a column. Honest!

So there you have it. A few of our favorite glossies. Are there any that we’re forgetting? Now it’s your turn. What shelter mags are frying your bacon lately?

Update: We’re also digging the recently released Lonny Magazine, an online glossy very similar to Domino (in fact it’s written by some of the same peeps). You can check it out for free right here. We’ve also been digging Coastal Living since writing this roundup a while back. It shows excellent promise at becoming the new Cottage Living (and has a lot of the same editors over there now- good stuff!).

1. Allison says

Thank you for this post! I’m moving in a few months and my fiance and I will be decorating on a budget. These magazines will be a good source of inspiration…well next to your blog!

You should check out two great Canadian mags = “Style at Home” and “Canadian House & Home”. Canadian H&H is more high-end historically, but lately they’ve been working hard to appeal to the more average home/self decorator.
    Victoria from EdinDesigns @ DesignTies

I am still sick from Domino. Ebayers have made a good $200 I know from me on alll the back issues..I am missing 3 from 2005 and thats it…but those are just to much right now for me to buy them so I will be sad because the Nov 05 is just the one I need…I have not fallen for any others..I look at the magazine racks now with no hope.

4. christina says

I have recently discovered the Family Handyman magazine. It is focused more on DIY projects but also gives a lot of good info on maintaining your home and budget friendly ideas…

Thanks for the good tips. I have recently discovered that the library has a TON of magazines and they can be checked out. I put a slew of them on our coffee table and my husband and I both enjoy a huge variety of reading material.

6. Melissa says

Better Homes and Gardens and all their special publications have always been on my top picks. I never could get into house beautiful or any others to much though.

7. Laura says

Thanks for your suggestions. I was brokenhearted when I received notice that Cottage Living was done – no warning at all! I thought they were doing really well! Unrelated question: when you painted things like your mirror and your sunroom table, did you use a brush or spray paint? I am considering painting a great kitchen table I got on Craigslist, but worry about ugly brush lines, as well as high use messing it up. I know you recommend a couple coats of polyurathane, but I’m still worried. Also, I’ve spray painted before and it doesn’t come out all great and even-looking like yours (too impatient and get drips). Any extra tips or suggestions? Thanks! And I need to take a break from your blog (I’m catching up on all the archives) because I went to bed last night with “easy-peasy” in my head!

8. Lauren says

I truly miss my O at Home and Domino subscriptions. I still love R Home and Better Homes & Gardens -which i am thankful that they are still publishing. I always try to find my inspiration for small projects from BH&G.

I will have to try some of these other magazines….might end up finding myself with a new subscription! How exciting!

9. Rebecca says

Sadly, my need for being thrifty includes not subscribing to any magazines. However, I was “gifted” with subscriptions to Cottage Living and BH&G and certainly stockpiled many ideas!

This website makes me want to buy a house and just spend my weekends painting and decorating. I even googled thrift stores in the area even though we are currently bursting at the seams in our condo.

Which brings me to my next point….have you ever shared (besides the bedbugs!) tales of your apartments in NYC? How did you decorate/organize with the little space that you had?!?

I agree with you that House Beautiful is probably the best of what’s left — Elle Decor kind of gets on my last nerve.

I’m also reading LivingEtc and Canadian House and Home, both of which are a lot more domino-esque than anything we’ve got left in the USA. While LivingEtc is way too expensive to subscribe to if you’re in the States, Canadian House & Home can be bought and viewed virtually, so the price is reasonable.

11. Tara says

You forgot an awesome magazine:
    ********Canadian House & Home*************!!!
    Style at Home is also fabulous!!

12. Katy Wilson says

Hey Sherry, what month/year is the DIY mag you pictured in today’s blog? Thanks!

PS — I’m VERKLEMPT about the loss of Domino, Cottage Living, InStyle Home & O at Home. I agree that House Beautiful is a great place to go to see what the high-end designers are doing…my only complaint w/ Better Homes & Gardens is that I’d like to see more decorating, more room make-overs, etc.

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Katy,

Good question. I actually pulled the image off of a random pop-up ad on http://www.DIYIdeas.com (Do It Yourself Magazine’s website). I clicked back over to try to find it again but it’s apparently just a random thing that only pops up some of the time. And I wonder if it will even says the date of the pub if it does pop up since it was pretty much just an image with subscription info under it. Fooey.

It’s a mystery! Does anyone else know? Check your archives!!!