Lots of us want a more organized home, but are we going about it the wrong way? Today we’re talking with a home efficiency expert about how rethinking our approach to organizing could end up making us all happier – and maybe even help us be more patient partners and more present parents. She also explains why we should treat our kitchen like an operating room, how Sherry’s minimized closet could be better, and why garages are so hard to keep under control. We’re also sharing how a random phone call and a dicey forecast sucked the momentum right out of our duplex progress, but we’re still finding some silver lining in the news. Plus Sherry falls hard for some fairies.
You can download this episode from Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn Radio, and Spotify – or listen to it below! Note: If you’re reading in a feed reader, you may have to click through to the post to see the player.
- That’s a quick video tour of our messy garage, filled with boxes and stuff to be hauled in a big moving truck to the duplex – including the two Crate & Barrel sofas we ordered over a year ago! (Bonus: some dining room insanity)
- NOTE: If you’re reading in a feed reader you may need to click through to view the video. You can also watch it here on YouTube.
- We bought those sofas way back in Nov of 2017 (!!!) right after buying one for our Richmond house because they were having a crazy sale and we loved the one we got for our house. We have the “Steel” color here, but the duplex couches are both “Truffle” because it was the color that was deeply discounted.
- The rest of the boxes include things like window blinds, curtain rods, curtain rings, toilet paper holders, shower rods, and hardware for
kitchen. Oh, and there are some rugs in there too.
- And here’s the picture of my infamous moving-truck-in-the-ditch moment when moving out of our first house eight years ago. You can read about the whole ordeal here.
Stephanie Sikora, Life Made Simple
- If you’d like to learn more from Stephanie, check out her new book Simplified: A Real-Life Guide To Organizing Your Space And Saving Your Sanity
- Or check out her website, Life Made Simple, for blog posts, online courses, and consultations.
- Those are the books Sherry has been poring over these last few weeks. The first book in the series is A Court of Thorns And Roses, followed by A Court of Mist And Fury, and finally A Court of Wings And Ruin. (There’s also a box set if that’s your jam).
- Sherry says it’s similar to The Selection series she recommended a while back – although she might slightly prefer these (in her words, “they’re a bit more Game Of Thrones meets Hunger Games – plus fairies, but cool ones that wear leather outfits”)
- And she’s already picked up the first book in Sarah Maas’ next series, A Throne of Glass.
- Below are just some examples of the range of shower heads that have that H20Kinetic technology (again, not sponsored – I just really like the ones we’ve bought and can tell a difference). Most of these also come in multiple finishes: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7
- The one we found on the clearance rack doesn’t seem to be sold anywhere anymore, but it’s similar to #7
If you’re looking for something we’ve dug in a past episode, but don’t remember which show notes to click into, here’s a master list of everything we’ve been digging from all of our past episodes. You can also see all the books we’ve recommended on our Book Club page.
And lastly, a big thank you to Grove Collaborative for sponsoring this episode. Sign up at Grove.co/YHL to receive their FREE gift: a trio of Mrs. Meyers cleaners, a set of walnut scrubber sponges AND a tin cleaning caddy. Yup, all of that’s FREE!
Thanks for listening, guys!
*This post contains affiliate links*