Be Our Guest, Er, Bookcase

Remember this “Things That Are Awesome” print that we got at a local craft fair last Christmas by an amazing artist named Rachel (here’s her shop) with the intent of hanging it in the guest room (you know, so everyone can study all the things that are awesome while they stay)?

Well, we finally got it framed and hung.

This is actually an angle of the guest room that we haven’t shown for a long loong time. As in, this post from two summers ago is the last time we shared it. And then a year later we grabbed that big mirror and hung it over the mantel in the kitchen and a while later we had a yard sale and sold the old Ikea dresser (it had seen better days and one drawer was broken).

So that wall sat bare for a while until we dragged this bookcase in (it’s leftover from book photoshoots, so the tutorial for the different colored shelf-backs is in the book). Then all we needed to do was run to JoAnn and grab a frame for the art (with a 40% discount coupon at checkout of course – do you know they take coupons on your phone now and you can just go to their site to get them?).

From that far away shot you can’t really appreciate the sheer awesomeness of the Things That Are Awesome print (and of course we love that a fellow Virginian whipped it up).

But this detail starts to do it justice I think. We could stare at it all day…

Oh and one other thing on the agenda was to anchor the bookcase to the wall (not only for Clara’s safety but for anyone who stays with us with kiddos, which happens about once every month or two). Thankfully this bookcase, which we originally bought from Target, came with an anchor system, so we installed it and breathed a nice sigh of relief.

A few days later I walked in and saw this, which pretty much made my day. Apparently the bookcase has Clara’s stamp of approval.

What rooms have sat dormant in your house for years and then suddenly felt like a flurry of activity? Anyone have any theories why that happens? Maybe it’s the ones that you think are pretty far along in the beginning so you shift your focus to a bunch of other rooms and then years later you realize that one room has been sitting around getting ignored for a while?

1. Maddie says

Great little update for this room! I actually have the same print and know what you mean about staring at it all day. I think I said “I love you” right to it about ten times after hanging it over my desk :)

Also love the sneaky doll – Clara belongs on the “things that are awesome” list for sure.

2. Thais Bessa says

Not the subject of the post, but I was about to ask you guys about the guest room’s crown molding. And it is just like I expected: it makes this yummy colour even nicer! Love it!

3. Suzie says

I like this room so much more now, since seeing this side! The new bookcase and art make it all make sense now. I was one of those who didn’t really *love* this room when you first revealed it…not that my opinion actually matters…but now, I think it is great! Love Clara’s baby placement, too!

Right now, the guest room, since it’s becoming a nursery this fall. But it was pretty empty (i.e. no bed) since we rarely have overnight guests.

5. Nancy R. says

Love the doll. Quite the nice touch. We have more than a few over at our house, and they are all named Gracie. I am a little sad that my girls seem to be outgrowing them too fast for my liking.

The blog header is different, isn’t it? You probably said that an I totally missed it though! HA! I’m in a flurry of activity right now. My brother and sister-in-law are visiting at the end of the month. He lives across the country so I haven’t seen him in 3 years and I’ve never met her. SO EXCITING! All of those little projects that I’ve been sitting on are getting done, which is awesome!

Oh yeah we lightened things up on Friday with the header and the background. A little spring blog cleaning, haha!

Have fun with your brother and good luck with all the house activity – sometimes we love a visit to kick our butts into gear :)

7. Christina P (NS) says

Sneaky song reference at the bottom is Beastie Boy’s of course!
    This house is gorgeous, the outdoor space is particularly inviting!! Thanks for sharing.

8. Ashley says

I bought that poster right after you all featured it on YHL. I LOVE it, but I haven’t framed it yet. I haven’t really found any frames that I like in that size – UNTIL TODAY! I really like how you all framed yours. What is the grey matting? Sorry to be a copycat!

That’s the paper that came in the frame (the front had words on it about the size of the frame and the back was that solid gray color :)

9. Aly says

When you say things like “two years ago was the last time we did this and here’s the post”, how the crap do you remember that? Is it just memory or do you have some sort of tab? I can hardly remember what I did two weeks ago let alone which angle of a room I posted a picture of two years ago!

I search a few terms on our site (ex: guest room wall bookcase mirror) and find the most recent post that mentions them, and the date is right on it. I’d never remember myself, so thank goodness the blog is like a big searchable photo album for us :)