Live From Richmond, It’s…

…the third week of December! Okay, maybe that’s not as catchy as the opening to SNL, but for all y’all (yup, I said it) who follow our Instagram pictures (and who have requested the videos to match the wacky photos that we posted below) here ya go. Yes, we never thought we’d actually type a sentence like this, but we’ve had a busy week in the live television department. See, it sounds crazy. Also, about that pic on the right… we didn’t try to match the set. That just happened. And it was hilarious.

By coincidence, two local Richmond stations actually invited us to appear on their programs – ahem – their LIVE programs, this week. That means things from our mouths would go straight to people’s television sets with barely any delay. Yikes. Wait, let me rephrase that. YIKES.

The first was on Tuesday with NBC’s “First at 4” newscast. We were invited by local newsman slash social media enthusiast (slash fellow parent to a Clara, slash friend) Ryan Nobles, who interviewed us about a year and half ago in our house about radon (see the end of this post for the clip which involves proof that Sherry’s crazy). So it was fun to be invited to his place this time around.

Check out the weatherman (Ros Runner) giving his forecast on the green screen in the back.

And here’s our short little interview with Ryan. It was relatively tame on the embarrassment scale, minus when Sherry proclaimed that chalkboard paint is great because “you can tell people what to do.” Twice. She says she couldn’t stop repeating it. (You can also watch it here).

Wanna know a funny secret? As soon as Sherry and I both stepped into place for our interview, the producer paused and said “yeah, I’m gonna get her a box.” Yes, my short wife had to secretly stand on a box behind the news desk the whole time. Ain’t she cute on her little booster step? And hey, if you ever wondered if newscasters wore pants behind their desks…

So thanks again to Ryan and the folks at NBC12 for having us last Tuesday. And thanks also to whatever live TV god prevented us from cursing / fainting / saying the word “fart” instead of art on camera.

With that boost of on-camera confidence, we arrived Thursday morning at CBS6 for our second gig with very few butterflies. OK that’s a lie, we were just slightly less nauseous and Sherry vowed not to work “tell people what to do” into the discussion this time. She also decided to tuck away her security blanket (The Black Blazer) and broke out a jazzy orange number instead. She just told me it’s coral, but I’m a guy so I’m gonna stick with orange.

It also helped that this was a rodeo we’d been to before, way way back in 2009. It’s a local morning program called Virginia This Morning and we’ve been friendly with them since that interview long ago. In fact, they were the ones that Sherry begged to bring The Nate Berkus Show to Richmond (it wasn’t on at all in our market). It didn’t work, by the way (apparently they need more than one crazy fanatic calling to make things like that happen).

We found out when we got there that we’d actually have not one, but two five minute segments. Gulp. But the hosts were so warm and welcoming that it felt pretty simple. Here’s the first clip where we talk about everything from buying ugly things in thrift stores to Clara’s favorite tool. Oh, and Jessica also give us a hybrid celebrity name in the introduction. (You can also watch the clip here).

While we were waiting to come on again we also got to watch this local tween jazz band play Jingle Bell Rock. Spot any future Biebers in there?

Then we closed out the show with this second segment, which was about some fast and easy projects from the book that could act as last minute stocking stuffers or hostess gifts. And Sherry raised her fist in the air for Jersey. Really, that happened. But we happily avoided any wardrobe malfunctions or other FCC-fine-worthy moments. Huzzah! (You can also watch it here).

We’re very grateful to be able to go into the holiday week knowing that we didn’t bring shame to our families or do anything that would ban us from Richmond television for life. But we really have the folks at each station to thank. Seriously, it was great to see Ryan Nobles again – and Jessica Noll was so easy to talk to that we could’ve gone on for hours. But I don’t think they’re looking to add “The Petersiks Blab On And On” to their station line-up anytime soon. #obligatoryweirdfacephoto

Anyone else have any TV experiences that have gone well? Or not so well? Did you cash in on your 15 minutes of fame or get recognized from your moment on air? Did you wear dangly earrings to the first one only to be told not to do that for the second one (ok, Sherry did that and then got all flustered so she grabbed the coral orange blazer for the second show in a moment of panic). Nope, still can’t call it coral.

Comments

I would have truly died! I was interviewed about cloth diapers once and hardly made it through my sentence! You guys are rocking this! It is so inspiring!

Aw thanks Kim! The most helpful tip I have heard for TV is “it’s just a conversation – just look at the person and talk” (we used to try to memorize talking points, which was a nightmare, but just explaining things to someone as if I’m a person talking to a person – which is what’s really going on – helps a lot!).

xo

2. Rebekah says

I haven’t had any experiences with fame, but my FIL had to testify alot during the GSA spending scandal and got invited onto John Stewart because of misquoting 50cent lyrics (he politely declined, but was mocked anyway). He got recognized in the airport a while back. Basically, the only people who would recognize him are those who watch CSPAN all the time.
    Great job on the air!

Congrats on all the success! I’m glad you have each other to enjoy it with. Looks like you guys have no problem having fun ;).

Haha I think that’s awesome you guys! I totally would have said something extremeley embarrassing… probably would have said “fart” instead of “art.” Or I would have just started laughing in very awkward places. And I like those earrings! And the coral/orange jacket :)

Ah! You had to be so nervous! You looked great though. :)

I’ve only been on the news once, when the hubs proposed to me on the 50 yard line of the Indianapolis Colt’s stadium. It was the middle of my senior winter finals week though, so I was sleep deprived and hopped up on way too much coffee. The video makes me laugh every time!

In fact, here’s the highly embarassing link… http://www.wthitv.com/dpp/sports/colts_and_nfl/marriage-proposal-on-colts-field

Congrats you guys! It looks like you had so much fun! I’ve never been on TV before but I’ve spoken on the radio (called into a morning show before, nothing crazy) and I got a little flustered then. Can’t imagine what would happen if people could see me!

7. Amber V. says

Loving the coral blazer! I was excited to watch the Virginia This Morning video (since it’s a sparsely attended day at the office today and I can get away with such shenanigans) but when I clicked on the link, there is no video on the page. Maybe it’s my browser?

When I was 12 or so I took golf lessons and somehow ended up interviewed on 11Alive (holla!) about the “new trend of children playing golf.” I kept repeating the phrase “I love golf because isn’t tennis” while clutching onto a Sophia Petrillo like white wicker purse. I don’t even know.

Y’all, btw, are naturals and I have no idea why you don’t want a tv show. You’d rock it.

9. Shellie L says

You guys were awesome! Is it weird that I clapped my hands at the end and felt so proud? Okay, don’t answer that! But seriously, you guys are so talented and have such a cool gift to share :)

10. sara says

Is it just me, or is John’s chair in that last picture bigger than the others? Another live tv trick, or just my eyes playing tricks on me??

11. Meredith says

My dad and sister were on a news segment at Thanksgiving because she gave him a kidney earlier this year and then they participated in a 5K race together (just a “feel good” piece). They were black Friday shopping the next day and the person assisting them at Best Buy recognized them. Clearly, one person recognizing you=fame.

12. tracy says

I can totally relate to the box! I am quite petite (5’1″) and have always been at least a head and half shorter than my classmates in school. In fifth grade, I sang a duet with another girl and had to stand on a milk crate decorated with red and green construction paper for the performance. Then in junior high wood shop, I wasn’t tall enough to reach any of the tools at the workstations, so my shop teacher made me a wooden box to drag around to each table. Except…he made the box too heavy for my scrawny 13 year old self to lift. So I had to have a classmate or the teacher move it for me every time I had to switch tools. True(and humiliating)story.