In The Esteemed Words Of Sisqo…

… she had dumps like a truck, truck, truck (more highly inappropriate singing about butts here). And speaking of trucks, here’s the story of the little two dollar Goodwill truck that I got Clara in Georgia (mentioned in this video yesterday). This is what it looked like when I snatched it up:

Perfectly charming and vintage-ish, but a little less “Clara” than it could have been. So I thought it would be fun to get Clara involved in a little makeover. Yes, Clara would be the ultimate truck graffiti artist, but first I applied one coat of blue paint, just to set the stage for her scribbles (the entire project was free thanks to using a little test pot of paint leftover from this old art project last year). The color is Embellished Blue by Behr in case you’re wondering.

After it dried I handed it over to Clara with a box full of crayons and told her to go nuts. She had the best time coloring every last corner and crevice. I wish (oh how I wish) I had thought to take photos of her coloring with reckless abandon (I was too busy watching and clapping and playing the role of too-excited momma). Just try to picture Clara grabbing every color and feverishly coloring her blue truck while completely ignoring me. She loved it. She was focused. She took her truck-coloring job very seriously. Of course there were talks about how we can only color on things when mommy says we can. So here’s hoping she doesn’t doodle on everything else we own now. So far so good. As for the truck though, no surface was left uncolored – even the wheels got some crayon-love. About ten minutes later, Clara had created this:

Her crayon-holding truck, complete with crayon scribbles. Isn’t it cute?

It sits on her little drawing desk. Except for when she’s pushing it around on the floor (which is probably about 70% of the time).

I love that it holds all of her crayons out where she can see them since I used to store them in a little zippered pouch and it was harder for her to see all of the colors that way. And the holes definitely keep her busy since she likes to take all of her crayons out and then put them all back in. It’s like an interactive puzzle slash storage spot slash truck. I mean it rolls for goodness sakes! It’s the toy trifecta.

I thought about sealing her doodles with some clear non-toxic sealer (Safecoat Acrylacq) but I actually like the idea of allowing her scribbles to continue over time, so it can change every day if that’s Clara’s idea of a good time. She has already added a little more pink today. I’m looking forward to seeing how it evolves. Haha. Sort of like the rooms in our house. Now Clara has her little truck to “makeover.” And when she gets a little older we can even repaint it another color so she can start from scratch again if she’d like.

So as work continues on the deck outside (along with some Pinterest-Challenging), here’s a zero dollar project with a $2 thrift store find that Clara and I had fun with. Sometimes the little things are my favorite – especially when Clara’s in on the fun. But that’s not to say that our little crayon truck won’t be ten times more fun when the deck is finished and we can take it out there for some alfresco coloring. Haha. Those will be the days. What have you guys been doing with your kiddos (or pets)? Burger totally painted something for us a while back. That was a good time too.

Psst- Click here to see over 60 other kid-projects, from DIY book shelves to homemade mobiles and more.

Comments

My brother and I had a similar crayon holder each when I was little that my dad made us (used a drill to make the wholes) and he painted our names on the side so we didn’t fight over which was which. I’d totally forgotten about those, thanks for the reminder.

2. Brynn says

What a great project! Love ideas that include the little ones!

Also- thanks for the High School dance flashbacks….

Love that truck! Ruby just made her first portrait last night (she’s probably been working on it at school but she whipped one up out of no where last night for us). She said it was me with Daddy’s hair!

4. Christina P (NS) says

So sweet, it looks awesome – good job Clara!
    Thank you for always posting the links to the projects that you talk about in other posts, I can only imagine the time it adds to your posting but I always appreciate it when I see something I want to know about in a current post!
    I have been looking for a play table for my daughter lately and can’t find what I want, I saw Clara’s today and it is perfect and ta-da, linkety-link – there I am – again, thanks!

We recently got a higher cabinet for our TV to keep it out of reach of our 19-month-old. We previously used a Lack coffee table from IKEA and had planned to repurpose or donate it. However, while it was still in the living room waiting to be shifted, the little man appropriated it as his drawing desk and when the creative bug bites and there isn’t paper available IMMEDIATELY, Picasso jr uses said table for his creations. I love it. I’m also hoping we can confine the scribbles to this table and no other furniture/walls, and will now probably never get rid of it!

I am in love with that little crayon truck! I would love to have something similar for my oil paints. It’s perfect that every color is easily accessible.

Sure, I just used low-VOC paint I had on hand since it’s less fumey (spray paint is usually oil-based so it has more VOCs). Generally for Clara related objects I try to go low or no-VOC whenever I can since she has so much contact with them.

• Carol says

Good point…
      My next project is painting an exterior table/chair set for my daughters…I was going to spray paint it. What’s your opinion?

Hmm, for exterior to hold up well I’d use a spray paint made for that material (metal if they’re metal, plastic if they’re plastic, etc). Since they’re outside they should offgas pretty quickly and it’s ventilated outside so it won’t be as fumey. Hope it helps!

• Carol says

Thank you. I always read your blog…it’s my addiction :-), but have never really posted a comment/question…Thanks for replying.

Happy Anniversary tomorrow :) Can’t wait to see your update! I always love your anniversary posts with date night and gifts. You guys are always so thoughtful!

Ps. Clara’s truck is cute too! Love the blue

Aw thanks Natalie! We had some anniversary plans this weekend that the storm totally ruined (we were going to spend the day in Charlottesville but no one had power and trees were down). here’s hoping we can figure out something to do to celebrate!

8. Donna Jean says

seriously – get out of my head! i totally thought of that song the other night! why? i have no idea – probably has something to do with the whole sleep deprived, up half the night nursing my 3wk old thing!!
    such a cute idea for the truck – my 2yr old would love something like that, although i’m not super confident that all of his other toys wouldn’t end up with crayon all over them as well! i love that you guys bring clara in on some of your projects – such a sweet way to spend family time.

I love this! Wooden toys are so cute! Right now my little guy is more interested in how he can build with his crayons than color….how he gets the round crayons into some of these creations is beyond me!

10. Julie says

I just had to write a comment about yesterday’s post! i’m like a cockroach too! i could dip my chips in my kids’ barf (seriously never would do that) and it wouldn’t effect me in the least! love your blog it’s always genuinely positive and hilarious..oh and creative too! :)
    -La Cucaracha