House Crashing Update: Kelly’s Outdoor Escape

We had tons of fun House Crashing Kelly Moore last May (you can see the whole shebang here)…

… so when she told us she had made some outdoor updates, we couldn’t wait to check out this little haven that she created out on her deck.

Complete with outdoor drapes, a hanging egg chair (from Ikea), some colorful seating (from CB2) , and lots and lots of potted plants  – it definitely has serious come-hither charm.

We especially loved the leaning pallet planter that she DIYed with hose clamps from the home improvement store.

Some pallets have chemicals in them while others are more naturally sealed (with heat) so they’re less questionable for outdoor crafts like this. And if you’re unsure, you can always use a product like SafeCoat to seal off a pallet (it’s what the pros also use to seal off lead paint). To see more on how Kelly made her palette planter, click here.

The deck leads down to a sitting area with more bold seating, a chiminea, and a fire pit. You can see a closer shot of that area here.

And in almost every corner there are pretty little potted plants, like this sweet little succulent.

We love that not only did Kelly use plant pots for her greenery, she also used a few unexpected items, like this old metal toolbox. It definitely adds some soul and personality to the mix.

You can check out more of the outdoor details on Kelly’s blog. And a big thanks to her for sharing the update with us – we love seeing even more nooks and crannies of Kelly’s gorgeous house!

***Speaking of gorgeous houses, we’re on the lookout for awesome houses to crash in the Atlanta, Georgia area (or in the areas between there and Richmond – like Charlotte NC, Greenville SC, Greensboro NC, etc) since we’re headed out that way for the Haven Conference next week. We’ll also be traveling to Bethany Beach Delaware later this summer, so if you have a crash-worthy home in that area – or even in Virginia Beach, Virginia’s eastern shore, or Annapolis Maryland – we’d love to check it out! To submit your casa, just drop an email with some house photos and your location (just a general region, we don’t need your address yet) to and we’ll do our best to figure something out (can’t promise we can hit every home that’s submitted, but we’ll do our darndest to squeeze in as much house-crashing fun as we can!).

But back to Kelly’s outdoor oasis. Let’s play the favorite part game. I’m dying over the egg chair and can’t believe I missed it whenever it was sold at Ikea (it’s not there anymore, boo hoo). Meanwhile John is loving the tool box planter. Oh and you can check out every house we’ve crashed here, and a few houses that we’ve re-crashed for update posts here and here.

1. Brenda says

I love that there’s so much wood and so many plants. The pallet is especially awesome. It just seems like a gorgeous, chill place to entertain and have fun!

2. Jamie says

Love this outdoor space…I’m on a total pallet kick right now, so I think I am going to copy her potted pallet idea! Did you mean Charlotte, NC? Just curious, we live in Charlotte and have never heard of Charlotte, SC. :)

LOVE Bethany Beach. I went there most summers during my teen/college years. My step-grandparents had a townhouse there that the whole family would use. Best beach walk fries and carmel corn….. mmmm…. my mouth is watering just thinking about it :)

4. Jennifer G. says

Charlotte is in North Carolina :)

Y’all have fun in Atlanta…I’m still upset that I’m going to be out of town next week!

Also, I love this outdoor space. Not a big fan of the Instagram look of the photos, but LOVE the space. When I move out of apartment-world, I hope my backyard is half as awesome.

5. Ashleigh says

My house is definitely not crash worthy….taken me a lot of time to develop my style, and we’ll move before I get to incorporate it, but maybe we can find a friend in Greenville for you to crash. :-)

6. Stephanie says

I was so sad that Haven was sold out! I was really hoping to get to see you guys and Ana White:-(

Haha, our apartment is certainly not crash worthy, but your little shout out to the Virginia Beach area has my heart all pitter-pattering. Who, knows? Maybe someday we’ll have a home worth letting ya’ll and your Bean tour. Here’s hoping. :)

Kelly’s first crash is in my favorites folder. And though I can’t convince Chris to get on board with chartreuse cabinets in the kitchen, we both love ogling the smokey backsplash and bright pops of color throughout the rest of her house. And now….

And now!!! The outdoor space. I am dying! The bright yellow chairs surrounded by so much natural life really are inspiring to me. In love…all over again.

9. Stephanie says

That backyard is GORGEOUS. Absolutely love it.

Not that my place is crash-worthy right now but I wish you guys would house crash up my way (Boston.) :(

10. Barb says

Wow…just the privacy of all the trees and vegetation make it so private and inviting. I like the covered area with the curtains…great to read a book in and just get out of the sun. would be a great place for a party!

The container gardens are amazing….lots of work to water but stunningly beautiful. Who doesn’t love a container garden?

My fav thing is also the toolbox planter. Brilliant usage of things we tend to neglect. I need to say…why didn’t I think of that.

Altogether…job well done. Love it !

I love this outdoor space! So cozy & definitely full of personality. My favorite part are those gauzy white curtains and the fun yellow chairs.