How To Frost A Window With Frosting Film (& Determination)

This post is actually about three bathroom updates, the first of which concerns this baby – the window. Aka the anti-privacy device located conveniently above the place that we do our most private business.

It’s kinda ridiculous that we haven’t done anything to it sooner, considering the window is nearly a straight shot view to the neighbor’s house. It’s not like we live right on top of each other – heck, we’re not even sure they can see much from this distance (we can’t see anything in their tiny far-away windows) but it’s still just a little odd to see this whenever we step out of the shower or whenever I’m standing up doing my man business.

So to get some privacy coverage while maintaining maximum light in the room, we decided to frost it using our tried-and-true frosting film technique (we’ve had luck with this stuff from Home Depot). In this instance this was a $0 project for us because we already had all of the supplies on hand (we had some leftover frosting film, but normally it’s about $19 for a giant tube that can do a bunch of windows and even large glass doors). Oh and it bears mentioning that this window has mullions update: just learned they’re actually muntins (those white criss-cross things) that are encased between the glass, so they don’t stick out. So although it looks like we would have to cut 12 rectangles of frosting film, we just needed two since these are sneaky interior ones.

You’ve seen us frost the side door in our current house this way and we gave a more thorough tutorial when doing the basement windows of our old house. So rather than rehash the step-by-step descriptions again, I figured we’d mix things up and take you through the process with pictures and captions only. Here goes nothing…

And now for the big finish…

Feel free to click over to this post and this post for more detailed how-to-use-frosting-film instructions. Oh and I realize it’s a bit hard to tell in these pictures (since the window kinda gets blown out anyways), so here’s our best attempt at showing the difference via photos:

You probably won’t notice it in photos going forward, but just know that every time you look at pictures like the one below – it means we’re no longer putting on a show for the neighbors. Hooray for leftover frosting film and a zero dolla project.

Oh and you’ve probably noticed some additions to the top of the toilet tank. You can thank Sherry for that.

She brought in one of the potted succulents she made here and we DIYed that 7 art a while back (here).

She also threw down a little dish to catch the earrings she often forgets are still on until just seconds before hopping into the shower (she used to rest them on the toilet or the windowsill but worried they’d get lost). Now they have a spot to hold them hostage. You know her and drop-spots. They make her all smiley.

You’ve probably figured out by now what the “frosting” and “tanking” parts of this post title refer to. Any guesses about the sucking? Keep it clean, folks.

Let’s look behind curtain #1 for the answer.

It’s our new suction-cup-tacular shower storage. We opted to ditch our over-the-showerhead caddy because it was practically visible from the bedroom door. Yup, it was quite the eyesore. So we wanted to do something more subtle on this other side that would mostly be hidden by the curtain from nearly all angles of the room (we keep the curtain about one third of the way closed when we’re not actually showering… or two-thirds of the way open if you’re an optimist). So this stuff can all hide behind that panel of fabric, out of view (unless you’re standing in the shower looking at it straight on, like the picture above and below.

We’ve had mixed luck with suction cup storage before, but these guys from Bed Bath & Beyond had some sort of extra-strength locking system that gave us the confidence to give it a go. They have a hard outer-cup around the suction cup inside and you have to sort of swivel them to install them to supposedly lock them in place. So far, so good. Even with two steamy showers under our belts (they also stood the overnight test, which means we didn’t awake to the sound of crashing down in the bathroom).

We got two hooks…

…and two baskets (which also had the locking suction cups) for a grand total of $22 after handing over four coupons. Gotta love that BB&B lets you use one for each item that you’re buying and they never expire.

I know it’s weird to be excited about hidden shampoo and razor storage, but for a tiny room that we’re in at least five times a day, it really does make a pretty decent difference. The room feels less cluttered and college-shower-y.

Oh and a reader mentioned they had hanging baskets that were hung over their faucet that fell off the wall and turned on the water and covered the drain so their house flooded (so sad!) – so for safety reasons it’s best not to hang these over the faucet. We like the other side of the shower for them since they’re behind the curtain and you don’t get sprayed in the face when you’re grabbing stuff out of them.

So there ya have it: a frosted window, a spruced up toilet tank and some hidden storage sucking it up on the shower wall. All for twenty two beans.

Here’s our updated to-do list:

• paint the walls so they have some contrast
  • replace the boob light
  • paint the cream trim white
  • hang some bathroom-friendly art
  • craigslist the toilet and replace it with a classic white one
  • do something to add privacy to the window
  • nix the ugly and cluttered showerhead caddy
  • remove the door so we can shave the bottom to allow for a rug/bathmat (and add a door stopper so it doesn’t squash the art)
  • replace the border tile around the room (maybe in phase 2?)
  • move the blue pendant light to hang centered in front of the window
  • replace the floor tile down the road (just to break things up since there’s so much of it)

Anyone else have a favorite privacy method for the window in their bathroom? Or a go-to item for the top of the toilet tank? Or a perfect solution for storing all of their shower necessities?

Psst- To follow this bathroom sprucing project from the start, check out this planning post, this painting post, this light-swapping post, this art and trim-painting post, and this toilet-updating post.

Comments

1. Beth says

Frosting is ALWAYS a good call – In the home I grew up in as a teenager, I assumed my neighbors were too far away…..annnd learned years later that I was VERY WRONG. Makes for great awkwardly-running-into-old-faces-at-the-supermarket conversation though! HAH.

Was re-watching cougar town the other night and saw a yellow light fixture in her house that looked nearly identical to your new blue baby in the bathroom – are they the same kind?

Glad you guys did this! I was debating frosting our window in our upstairs bathroom since I don’t want to block the light with privacy curtains. Now I think I am going to take the plunge :) (haha- get it… bathroom joke. priceless)

I like the window film but the shower caddies are my favorite. These actually look nice. I have been looking around for some. We share a bathroom with our daughter and while he isn’t bathing in our tub yet she will some day. I would love for razors, soap, and shampoo to be out of her reach. Nothing like using some B,B&B coupons to help get the job accomplished!

4. elaina says

I love the frosted window, my bathroom has the bottom one frosted and the top one is clear. I plan to fix that soon, not sure why anyone would go for half coverage?

Not that my math skills are spectacular but wouldn’t your shower curtain be two thirds closed when not showering or one third open for the optimists? ;)

5. Laura says

What brand of suction cup products did you buy? I would LOVE to have them in our shower, but every type I’ve tried in the past hasn’t been strong enough to stay put for very long! Thanks!

6. Stacey says

looks great – heads-up about the suction cups, though. we have those in our shower holding up only bath puffs/loofahs, and they come unstuck ALL THE TIME. the noise when those dang things hit the bottom of the tub is heart attack inducing. you may want to regularly re-suction them so all your heavy stuff doesn’t clatter to the floor when you least expect it :)

Thanks for the tip Stacey! We’ll have to keep an eye on them if you’re starting to slip. Do you have the special kinds with the locking device around the suctions? It’s like a double layer of plastic/suction. Here’s hoping it makes the difference!

xo

• Stacey says

we have the same ones you have – they suction on and then the hook folds down to lock it in place. because the stuff we hang on them is so light, we never see them slip….but we certainly hear the crashing once they have fallen. i think it could mostly be avoided by re-suctioning them frequently. preventative measures!

• Pamela says

We have the same hooks with the same results…the crash is heart-stopping. Sometimes we can go for months without a fall and sometimes it happens every other day. I find cleaning the tile and the cup and letting them dry thoroughly (even buffing them) prolongs hanging time.

• Nina says

Same problem here. We have the exact same suction baskets in our son’s bathroom and they come loose every few months. In fact, one of them fell off while I was bathing my son this evening. (Thankfully, no one was hurt. It was hung real low so that he can put his bath toys in it.) I’m so frustrated with them, I told my husband to just screw ’em into the tile! GRRR!

What really gets me is that they are more expensive than the normal suction baskets, with the promise of working better, but they don’t.

We have heard from folks that using 3M command hooks can keep them up there for good! And those are usually just a few bucks for the added peace of mind! Hope it helps!

I love the frosted windows! We’ve been considering doing this to our bathroom window since we moved in, but since our windows are the old, 6 pane style, it would be a huge project. Maybe we’ll just get new windows instead?

I bet you can knock that window out with film a lot easier than getting a new window! All the rectangles are the same size, so cut 6 or 12 sheets a smidge bigger than the side of the pane, apply them, credit card them, trim them and you’re done! Maybe it would take 2 hours tops?

• Emma says

We have an old school (original 1930s) 8 panel bathroom window, and my husband frosted them with the same stuff in about an hourish :) so worth it if you love the windows as much as we do! :)

8. Mo says

I usually just frost or curtain the bottom half of the window. People can’t see in, and you get natural light for putting on makeup. Blocking out all of the view just seems kind of sad. You might as well be in a basement.

Thankfully lots of light passes through the frosting film (it’s translucent, not transparent like a light blocking curtain would be) and we have a giant window over our sink (which is where I do my makeup and John shaves). That window isn’t frosted, so we get lots of light through that!

Can I just say, I’m a wee bit envious of your adult only ensuite. My first thought was where are Clara’s bath toys? Of course, not everyone shares a bathroom with their toddler! One day!

Haha, we can relate! Our last house had only one full bath (which we couldn’t use while we renovated it for over 5 months a while back- so we actually showered at the gym or outside with the hose- so bad!).

I’m so glad I saw this post today! We need to use that frost film on our front door. Right now we lose a lot of light because the glass (which takes up 50% of the door) is covered by fabric. This is a great solution! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Looks so great! I used that frosting all over my house (I’m not a big curtains person) and it’s held up gorgeously.

Also, are you worried about the new items sliding off the slick toilet top? I have the same sort of stuff on mine and I just put a little square of a no-slip rug pad underneath. If it’s something I need to stay permanently, I use industrial-strength velcro. No breaks or slips yet!

12. LKG says

The number 7 on the back of the toilet, wouldn’t number 1 or number 2 have been more appropriate?