How To Frost A Window With Frosting Film (& Determination)

This post is actually about three bathroom updates, the first of which concerns this baby – the window. Aka the anti-privacy device located conveniently above the place that we do our most private business.

It’s kinda ridiculous that we haven’t done anything to it sooner, considering the window is nearly a straight shot view to the neighbor’s house. It’s not like we live right on top of each other – heck, we’re not even sure they can see much from this distance (we can’t see anything in their tiny far-away windows) but it’s still just a little odd to see this whenever we step out of the shower or whenever I’m standing up doing my man business.

So to get some privacy coverage while maintaining maximum light in the room, we decided to frost it using our tried-and-true frosting film technique (we’ve had luck with this stuff from Home Depot). In this instance this was a $0 project for us because we already had all of the supplies on hand (we had some leftover frosting film, but normally it’s about $19 for a giant tube that can do a bunch of windows and even large glass doors). Oh and it bears mentioning that this window has mullions update: just learned they’re actually muntins (those white criss-cross things) that are encased between the glass, so they don’t stick out. So although it looks like we would have to cut 12 rectangles of frosting film, we just needed two since these are sneaky interior ones.

You’ve seen us frost the side door in our current house this way and we gave a more thorough tutorial when doing the basement windows of our old house. So rather than rehash the step-by-step descriptions again, I figured we’d mix things up and take you through the process with pictures and captions only. Here goes nothing…

And now for the big finish…

Feel free to click over to this post and this post for more detailed how-to-use-frosting-film instructions. Oh and I realize it’s a bit hard to tell in these pictures (since the window kinda gets blown out anyways), so here’s our best attempt at showing the difference via photos:

You probably won’t notice it in photos going forward, but just know that every time you look at pictures like the one below – it means we’re no longer putting on a show for the neighbors. Hooray for leftover frosting film and a zero dolla project.

Oh and you’ve probably noticed some additions to the top of the toilet tank. You can thank Sherry for that.

She brought in one of the potted succulents she made here and we DIYed that 7 art a while back (here).

She also threw down a little dish to catch the earrings she often forgets are still on until just seconds before hopping into the shower (she used to rest them on the toilet or the windowsill but worried they’d get lost). Now they have a spot to hold them hostage. You know her and drop-spots. They make her all smiley.

You’ve probably figured out by now what the “frosting” and “tanking” parts of this post title refer to. Any guesses about the sucking? Keep it clean, folks.

Let’s look behind curtain #1 for the answer.

It’s our new suction-cup-tacular shower storage. We opted to ditch our over-the-showerhead caddy because it was practically visible from the bedroom door. Yup, it was quite the eyesore. So we wanted to do something more subtle on this other side that would mostly be hidden by the curtain from nearly all angles of the room (we keep the curtain about one third of the way closed when we’re not actually showering… or two-thirds of the way open if you’re an optimist). So this stuff can all hide behind that panel of fabric, out of view (unless you’re standing in the shower looking at it straight on, like the picture above and below.

We’ve had mixed luck with suction cup storage before, but these guys from Bed Bath & Beyond had some sort of extra-strength locking system that gave us the confidence to give it a go. They have a hard outer-cup around the suction cup inside and you have to sort of swivel them to install them to supposedly lock them in place. So far, so good. Even with two steamy showers under our belts (they also stood the overnight test, which means we didn’t awake to the sound of crashing down in the bathroom).

We got two hooks…

…and two baskets (which also had the locking suction cups) for a grand total of $22 after handing over four coupons. Gotta love that BB&B lets you use one for each item that you’re buying and they never expire.

I know it’s weird to be excited about hidden shampoo and razor storage, but for a tiny room that we’re in at least five times a day, it really does make a pretty decent difference. The room feels less cluttered and college-shower-y.

Oh and a reader mentioned they had hanging baskets that were hung over their faucet that fell off the wall and turned on the water and covered the drain so their house flooded (so sad!) – so for safety reasons it’s best not to hang these over the faucet. We like the other side of the shower for them since they’re behind the curtain and you don’t get sprayed in the face when you’re grabbing stuff out of them.

So there ya have it: a frosted window, a spruced up toilet tank and some hidden storage sucking it up on the shower wall. All for twenty two beans.

Here’s our updated to-do list:

• paint the walls so they have some contrast
  • replace the boob light
  • paint the cream trim white
  • hang some bathroom-friendly art
  • craigslist the toilet and replace it with a classic white one
  • do something to add privacy to the window
  • nix the ugly and cluttered showerhead caddy
  • remove the door so we can shave the bottom to allow for a rug/bathmat (and add a door stopper so it doesn’t squash the art)
  • replace the border tile around the room (maybe in phase 2?)
  • move the blue pendant light to hang centered in front of the window
  • replace the floor tile down the road (just to break things up since there’s so much of it)

Anyone else have a favorite privacy method for the window in their bathroom? Or a go-to item for the top of the toilet tank? Or a perfect solution for storing all of their shower necessities?

Psst- To follow this bathroom sprucing project from the start, check out this planning post, this painting post, this light-swapping post, this art and trim-painting post, and this toilet-updating post.

Comments

Perfect timing! I’ve been thinking about doing this to my closet window. Yep, closet. I’m sure the neighbors have been enjoying that..

Oh man, I went to see Titanic in 3D yesterday as a nostalgia trip with my best friend from school. The whole cinema was sniggering in the car scene! (and everyone clapped at the end, haha).

Love the little upgrades, Might try out some suction baskets for our shower.

I also keep the shower stuff hidden by the curtain – shampoo bottles can be such an eyesore!
    And you always amaze me when you apply the frosting film so easily. I’ve tried it several times and it’s always been a disaster. I thinkI might give frosting spray a go instead!

• Jill says

My husband and I tried the frosting film too and had so much trouble with it. We actually returned what we bought and tried the rustoleum frosted glass spray paint instead. It looks great! A little more prep work to tape things off and protect the nearby walls, but we were so happy that it worked!

4. Hannah says

Can I be that weird person who asks where you got that toilet roll holder?!

I bought one similar at Goodwill for $4, but because it was super fragile glass it ended up breaking on the ride home… I guess it was never meant to be :(

Still on the look out! :)

That was just a vase from Target about five years ago! They make them for those giant sticks to be held (I also think Ikea sells them) but I actually brought a roll of TP in my purse to make sure I got a vase big enough. Haha. I’m that girl.

I had one … that was super tall and held 8 rolls!!! Then my darn cat broke it. :( But I’m on the mission again … only this time looking for one that holds 3-4 rolls.

• leah says

I have a similar toilet paper holder. The same shape and size but made of brushed silver wire. It’s really nice – I love it! Got it at Walmart. I don’t recall the price, however, first of all it’s Walmart; secondly, if I bought it, it had to be reasonable since I’m on a tight budget. I’ve had it for a year or so and it’s just like new. I love the brushed silver. It doesn’t seem to pit like other silver wire products I’ve bought.

5. Debbie C says

Oh my gosh I was laughing out loud reading this post! Thanks for a good Thursday morning laugh. :)

Wow. I can’t believe how different this bathroom looks after what are only cosmetic changes. Everything looks great! I think the film really brightens the room up, if that makes any sense. We will be tackling out EVEN SMALLER half bath (if you can imagine that)soon, and am inspired by your “simple” transformation. Thanks!

7. Lisa says

Math/typo correction: if the shower curtain is one third closed, it is TWO thirds open!!

Bathroom is looking great!

8. Wendy says

I have a window in my shower, and when I moved in I struggled with what to do with it for privacy and light. I ended up going with cheap vinyl blinds that I can leave partially open for light, but not enough that people can see in (My neighbors house is only about 15 feet away from mine). I considered something like the frosting film, but most of the summer I have the window open. Do you guys ever have the windows open? Or any other ideas for this scenario?

Hmm, we don’t open that window much at all. I think we opened it while we painted for ventilation, but that’s about it. Haha. I think your vinyl blinds sound like a great solution for your scenario though!

• Jamie F says

I have the same problem, my window is in my shower and faces my neighbours house (I can wave at them through their living room window from my shower!). My solution has been to hang another shower curtain liner over that window (I trimed it so its just slightly longer than the window), and then just push it to the side when I am not using the shower. I used a curtain rod like this http://www.homedepot.ca/product/single-curtain-rod/912328 and hung it extended it about 6″ past one side of the window so when I push it to the side it doesnt block the light from window at all. I’m hoping that visual makes sense!! The shower liner seemed to be my only option, as otherwise the water sprays all over the window and the wooden window frame.

• Bren says

We have a window like that which is open a lot in nice weather. I hung a simple rod and used a very light and airy, small white curtain. It allows all the light in, but just enough cover to “frost” the view if you know what I mean. I just love the blowing in the breeze effect, too. In winter, I just take it down.

9. Niki says

Looks good. Soo…I’m not sure why I totally missed the old posts on using the frosting/film; but, is it removable? I ask b/c I’d possibly like to use on a window in our house but we have it for sale so I’m not sure.

Oh yes, you can spray it down with the application spray and pull it off. Might have to scrub the window with goo-gone or a straight edge to get the goo off, but it’s doable for sure!

• Susan says

We had film on a large window in our old home. No one complained during the open house and we even got a few offers that day. I don’t think it’s an issue for too many people. :)

And the suction baskets don’t fall off the wall?! Have our amazing science discoveries and advancements finally created a suction basket that actually stays up?! What’s the brand? I need some of these bad boys.

They seemed to be the only brand sold at Bed Bath & Beyond and they have some sort of “suction-lock technology” or something. They have a hard outer-cup around the suction cup inside and you have to sort of swivel them to install them to supposedly lock them in place. So far, so good. Even with two steamy showers.

• Alison says

I have the same ones and they only fall down every 3-6 months. They’re not up there forever, but they do seem to work a lot longer than non locking suction cups. Just be sure not to put anything breakable in there.

• Tia says

Yep, I agree with Alison. They work, but about every 3 months be prepared to be awoken in the middle of the night to a huge BANG that scares the daylights out of you. We finally stopped using them because they would fall down at random.

That’s my experience as well. And they always seem to fall down in the middle of the night, so they wake you up and scare you the death. After a few times, we couldn’t take it anymore and took them down. Now we use one of those over the shower head things, but instead of hanging it over the shower head, I put a hook in the wall at the far end of the shower to hang it.

I love that frosting stuff! I had to use it on a window that was strategically located *in my shower* in the last place I rented. What baffles me is that no previous tenant had every frosted the window. It looked directly into the neighbors’ house.

Will do! So far we have each taken a steamy shower and they’re still hanging tight. I hope they don’t crash down over time. They stood the overnight test, so that was nice (nothing like waking up in a panic to the sound of something crashing down!).

12. Cristy says

OK… maybe you have me convinced… we have a window in our bathroom which overlooks… OUR PORCH!!! What a surprise for the door to door preachers, huh?! I’ve delayed making a curtain for it because the one benefit of that window is that it brings some extra light into a pretty dark bedroom. Maybe some window frosting film is the right choice! Thanks!

13. Karen F says

Firstly, the Titanic caption made me laugh out loud (good thing I work from home), and secondly, the hint about using tape to separate the two sides of the film is genius! I love projects that cost little time or money, but make a huge/everyday impact!

Also, I tried the tip about putting a penny in my tulips (from the mantel post) and I’m happy to say they are still upright and beautiful and not floppy at all – I think it really works!