We figured during the week of our big kitchen reveal it was only fitting to share a reader’s kitchen makeover as well. And this kitchen redesign comes from an atypical source. It’s not from a female blogger who is documenting the DIY-ing of herself and her man. It’s actually from a male blogger who goes by “Beard” – although he does have a female sidekick in the form of “Pigtails” (the daughter that he’s a single dad to). So, long story short, I found their backstory quite endearing, Beard’s blogging style quite amusing, and their kitchen makeover, well, quite awesome. Here’s his letter:
I recently gutted and rebooted the kitchen on my 1950′s brick ranch (using inexpensive materials like Ikea cabinetry and reclaimed wood for a bench and table setup).
Goals for the reboot:
- Be smart with the available 100 square feet. Kill clutter and chop it down to the basics.
- Open things up by reducing the number of cabinets, shrinking appliances, and deleting the soffit and ceiling fan. Recessed lights for a smooth finish up top.
- Install a robot that cooks and mops up messes, a.k.a. Rosie.
- Move the dishwasher from the random corner to a slot beside the sink.
- Build a slim table to fit the space without dominating.
- Create a warm look that’s different than what I typically see out there.
It turned out just right, hit all the goals but one.
Yeah, the kitchen will never be this clean again. Ever. – Beard
Be sure to check out Beard’s blog for more of the story on the makeover (there’s a cool tale behind the table). And thanks to Beard for bringing some testosterone to the reader redesign this week! Virtual fist bump. Petersik out.
Psst- We announced this week’s big Crate & Barrel giveaway winner. Click here to see if it’s you.