Tele-Photos (& Missoni Spoils)

We get asked pretty frequently about where we find inspiration. The short answer: everywhere. Other blogs, design mags, real life, family and friends, clothing, nature, even reality TV. Yup, I’ll admit it. Who takes pictures of the TV for inspiration slash fun? This girl (points to self with thumbs). And then they get uploaded with all of our other photos and John dumps them into an iPhoto folder that’s aptly named “TV pics.” And every once in a while I come across them and click through and say “oh yeah that was Law & Order, I loved that ceiling” or “that headboard makes me all clammy, in a good way” or “poor actors slash reality stars – I wonder if they hate the fact that they can be paused in such unfortunate and unflattering ways?” (Oprah used to give me the most hilarious faces when I paused her – miss you O!). So here are a few photos of the tube that were sitting in my folder (you know I’m an over-sharer).

The Modern Family house (someday we’d love to use their landscaping as inspiration for our own home):

Here’s another Modern Family shot from the Clive Bixby episode (where they meet at a hotel lobby – best ever). I snapped a photo because I thought the shape of the headboard could be fun for one of those DIYed from plywood and foam ones. Maybe for a kids room someday (in brighter colors/fabric).

This shot from Law & Order LA was taken back when we were still house hunting. And I snapped it (get ready to snort-laugh) because I was hoping to find a house with arches and tall ceilings like this. Yeah, that didn’t happen, but I still love our house (and this photo too, just for the how-deluded-was-I memories). And heck, we did end up with exposed beams (white in the kitchen, and darker in the living room). They even run in the same directions as this photo. So maybe we did buy this house… kind of.

Here we have a shot from America’s Next Top Model (and an example of unfortunate pause-faces). Guess what I was enamored with… yup it’s another headboard lust moment. Isn’t that brown and white fabric awesome?

Here’s a shot from a movie we Netflixed (The Kids Are All Right), which we watched right after moving. We loved the deep-ish blue on the walls and wondered if that was a good color for the guest room (and actually ended up going even deeper).

Here’s another shot from The Kids Are All Right. John and I both fell in love with the large stone paver walkway that sort of curved out from the house in a triangle-ish shape. Maybe someday when we transplant about five hundred bushes we can attempt this clean and open look…

Ah, here we have one of my favorite shows: Flipping Out. I really liked the dark wood doors with the giant pane of frosted glass. So many homes have those ornate oval-glassed double doors, and I loved the clean-lines and chunky frame of these – they just felt so different.

Here’s another Flipping Out picture, and I can’t remember if I loved the tangerine gourd lamps (which could be accomplished with a can o’ spray paint and a Goodwill score) or the cool wavy mirror in the back that looks kind of like faux oyster shells. Probably both.

Last Flipping Out shot. This time I loved the glass pendants and the dark cabinets with the white counters. Of course we don’t have white granite/marble/silestone in our kitchen so it’s nothing we’ll do (we want to work with the mid-toned granite that we have, and don’t want to create a sea of brown) but it was a nice look, so I worked my picture-taking finger to capture Jeff’s design. Who knows, maybe someday we’ll get to stain someone else’s cabinets to mimic the look.

Here we have a shot from The Celebrity Apprentice (did anyone else think that show got boring after crazy Nene left?). Can you tell what I was obsessed with? Yup, the floors. They actually inspired us when it came to building the console table. So yeah, we owe it all to the Celebrity Apprentice.

Here’s a shot from The Big C (does anyone else watch it- it’s so good, we got a free trial of Showtime and got hooked and watched the whole thing in record time). I really liked the board and batten on the wall behind her and still dream of DIYing something similar in our hallway (as recently mentioned here). So I thought you’d like a visual. Preferably with Laura Linney in it.

This shot is from Secrets From A Stylist, snapped because we still have plans to thrift or build a larger, chunkier media cabinet to balance out the giant wood console table that we built on the other side of the room. And we really liked the white frame with the wood fronted doors of this thing:

Oh and occasionally we just see something we don’t think we’re supposed to and it blows our mind. Like this rare angle that John noticed (he’s such a notice-er) on Bachelor Pad a few weeks back. Look how many lights are on the ceiling in that room behind Jake. Isn’t that crazy? The place looks so homey on TV but it must feel like such a set in real life (and probably gets pretty hot).

Who else takes TV pics? I can’t be the only person who does this, right? Or do you try to find screen grabs on the computer instead? Some of my shots are admittedly quite wonky due to TV glare. I know I could mess around with the camera a bit to cut down on that stuff, but I mainly just use them as memory joggers, so it’s ok if they have a weird blue tint or there’s a person or two oddly frozen in the room. Maybe you guys all just watch TV and relax like a normal person? Probably that, huh?

Oh and did anyone else go Missoni crazy at Target? Sorry we’re late to that bandwagon/update. We actually didn’t make it there until Wednesday evening (the collection dropped on Tuesday morning) and of course it was hugely picked over/sold out by then, but I did spot these sweet rain boots (in an extra small) for Clara and couldn’t resist. She already tries to wear them (they’re a bit too big). Very cute.

I also grabbed this pretty geometric vase for the back of the living room console:

It’ll probably migrate around the house over time, but for now I’m loving the bold pattern and the metallic finish that references the chunky silver lamps nearby. Bah-dah-bling.

I also made off with these headbands for myself. They seem like a nice compromise for a ponytail obsessed gal like me. Now I can wear my hair down but still keep it out of my face. Oh who am I kidding, I’ll probably wear them with a ponytail. Update: already did here.

What did you guys buy? Was everything already gone? Was there someone in line buying 2K worth of Missoni stuff in front of you? Word on the street is that happened like crazy on Tuesday and Target’s website even crashed and folks are selling everything for $200 on ebay. Peeps be crazy for Missoni.

Comments

1. Jill says

P.S. I didn’t know you watched Bachelor Pad!!!I tried watching it but just had to stop. It was too much for me. I went to high school with Graham and swooooooooooooooon did I ever have a crush on him. Like WHOA. Major bad. But then I saw him all mackin out on Michelle Money from Brad’s season and I just couldn’t hang. She drives me up the wall. Anyways, I heard he came in 2nd with her? Awww sigghhh. Even though my tastes in men have changed, there’s nothing like seeing your high school crush all over tv and social media.

2. Emily says

I’m so excited by your TV pic of the kitchen with dark wood cabinets/white counters. It’s a long story, but I have to have wood-toned cabinets even though I prefer white, and I have been having a hard time finding inspiration. Most of the wood-toned kitchens I find seem dated. So, I’m going to pin that pic. Yay!

I must admit I was at Super Target an hour after it opened on Tuesday and was shocked at how picked over everything was! They said that there was a crowd waiting for the doors to open that morning!
    I did manage to get a pair of the rain boots for myself though! I can’t wait to wear them, as I have been looking for the perfect pair for way too long!
    Clara is going to look adorable sporting hers!

You have excellent taste in entertainment! ;) love all those shows. The houses and rooms in The Kids Are Alright were soooo beautiful. I want their front door especially. Thanks for sharing – great post!

I LOVE all of these! They are a great idea and I always think that when I am watching shows too! :) Thanks for sharing!

P.S Can you spread the word about our adoption process at my blog hatchlife.blogspot.com :)

6. Elizabeth says

I do the same thing – take pictures of TV. In fact I’ve bought ever Nancy Meyers movie there is (even the Parent Trap remake) because I always love her interiors. I’ll watch and pause them over and over again to look at some lamp in the background etc. My husband thinks I’m nuts.

Love your taste in TV. We’re huge fans of The Big C, and couldn’t agree more that the Clive Bixby episode was an all-time best! Phil just cracks me up. Can’t wait for the new season to start.

Missoni: got a shirt for myself that is supposed to be a nightshirt but I am going to DIY it into a ‘going out’ shirt. Got some socks (exciting) and a scarf. Who thinks it’s a bit of a publicity stunt: me. Who went out and bought the stuff immediately: me. Ah well. As for tv pics, yep, I do it too and my kiddos do it all the time.

9. Beverley says

I sometimes take pictures of TV shows too :) Right now my obsession is finding out where I can get the curtains that are featured in the girls’ bedroom on Modern family – love them!

ha – good catch with the lights on Bachelor Pad! A big oops on their part! We love noticing when it’s obvious their was a retake because of an accessory that’s different or their hair or they did something twice in the scene.

11. Saz says

I hear the Missioni stuff went like gang busters. (Gangbusters? Gang-busters?) And is being resold on ebay for crazy prices. I haven’t checked this. I’m just spreading the rumor. ;D

Also, I bloody love Chip Kidd.

• Saz says

Oh no! I just read the comments and am so sad for the girl and the bike jerk. That’s awful. Karma will get him.

Totally missed the boat on Missoni (Missedoni?). I knew it was coming out but didn’t think people would be quite so obsessed, so I went to Target like normal on my way home from work. It was NOON and stuff was already sooo picked over. I was there again the next day for groceries, and they had a sign out saying there won’t be any replenishment. Waaaah!

I know who Missoni is (thank you ANTM), but I don’t understand the rush. If Target is going to be carrying the brand, then it’s not like it’s going anywhere right? Unless this is a one-time thing, which would still make no sense.

I can’t believe Americans are buying wellies (Wellington boots, aka rain boots). I wore them as a kid in England, lol!

Yup, oddly enough it’s a one time thing (collections by “spotlight” designers come in and out all the time) and most of the items are allegedly sold out permanently. So sad for folks who wanted something and the ebay people swept in and cleared the store out.

• Donita says

I am so glad you posted this Alyssa. I kept thinking through the post WHAT is MISSONI. LOL You are not the only one. I am probably going to be so upset that I didn’t know about Missoni. Those boots are so cute.

13. Bethany says

I had to laugh about this post and that the Modern Family house was the first picture on it! My husband and I gutted out 1920’s house in the heart of Nashville this past year and we had the HARDEST time picking a paint color for the entryhall and stairwell. The sad part is, I knew I wanted blue. I just couldn’t find the right blue. WE were watching Modern Family one night and I realized the Claire’s entry hall and stairwell were EXACTLY the blue I was going for. So I saved the show to our DVR, did a Lowe’s/HomeDepot/SherwinWilliams run to collect a million blue paint chips, and then pulled up a shot of Claire’s hallway, paused it, and held up the million paint chips until I found the one that was the closest. We LOVE our blue walls!