Tele-Photos (& Missoni Spoils)

We get asked pretty frequently about where we find inspiration. The short answer: everywhere. Other blogs, design mags, real life, family and friends, clothing, nature, even reality TV. Yup, I’ll admit it. Who takes pictures of the TV for inspiration slash fun? This girl (points to self with thumbs). And then they get uploaded with all of our other photos and John dumps them into an iPhoto folder that’s aptly named “TV pics.” And every once in a while I come across them and click through and say “oh yeah that was Law & Order, I loved that ceiling” or “that headboard makes me all clammy, in a good way” or “poor actors slash reality stars – I wonder if they hate the fact that they can be paused in such unfortunate and unflattering ways?” (Oprah used to give me the most hilarious faces when I paused her – miss you O!). So here are a few photos of the tube that were sitting in my folder (you know I’m an over-sharer).

The Modern Family house (someday we’d love to use their landscaping as inspiration for our own home):

Here’s another Modern Family shot from the Clive Bixby episode (where they meet at a hotel lobby – best ever). I snapped a photo because I thought the shape of the headboard could be fun for one of those DIYed from plywood and foam ones. Maybe for a kids room someday (in brighter colors/fabric).

This shot from Law & Order LA was taken back when we were still house hunting. And I snapped it (get ready to snort-laugh) because I was hoping to find a house with arches and tall ceilings like this. Yeah, that didn’t happen, but I still love our house (and this photo too, just for the how-deluded-was-I memories). And heck, we did end up with exposed beams (white in the kitchen, and darker in the living room). They even run in the same directions as this photo. So maybe we did buy this house… kind of.

Here we have a shot from America’s Next Top Model (and an example of unfortunate pause-faces). Guess what I was enamored with… yup it’s another headboard lust moment. Isn’t that brown and white fabric awesome?

Here’s a shot from a movie we Netflixed (The Kids Are All Right), which we watched right after moving. We loved the deep-ish blue on the walls and wondered if that was a good color for the guest room (and actually ended up going even deeper).

Here’s another shot from The Kids Are All Right. John and I both fell in love with the large stone paver walkway that sort of curved out from the house in a triangle-ish shape. Maybe someday when we transplant about five hundred bushes we can attempt this clean and open look…

Ah, here we have one of my favorite shows: Flipping Out. I really liked the dark wood doors with the giant pane of frosted glass. So many homes have those ornate oval-glassed double doors, and I loved the clean-lines and chunky frame of these – they just felt so different.

Here’s another Flipping Out picture, and I can’t remember if I loved the tangerine gourd lamps (which could be accomplished with a can o’ spray paint and a Goodwill score) or the cool wavy mirror in the back that looks kind of like faux oyster shells. Probably both.

Last Flipping Out shot. This time I loved the glass pendants and the dark cabinets with the white counters. Of course we don’t have white granite/marble/silestone in our kitchen so it’s nothing we’ll do (we want to work with the mid-toned granite that we have, and don’t want to create a sea of brown) but it was a nice look, so I worked my picture-taking finger to capture Jeff’s design. Who knows, maybe someday we’ll get to stain someone else’s cabinets to mimic the look.

Here we have a shot from The Celebrity Apprentice (did anyone else think that show got boring after crazy Nene left?). Can you tell what I was obsessed with? Yup, the floors. They actually inspired us when it came to building the console table. So yeah, we owe it all to the Celebrity Apprentice.

Here’s a shot from The Big C (does anyone else watch it- it’s so good, we got a free trial of Showtime and got hooked and watched the whole thing in record time). I really liked the board and batten on the wall behind her and still dream of DIYing something similar in our hallway (as recently mentioned here). So I thought you’d like a visual. Preferably with Laura Linney in it.

This shot is from Secrets From A Stylist, snapped because we still have plans to thrift or build a larger, chunkier media cabinet to balance out the giant wood console table that we built on the other side of the room. And we really liked the white frame with the wood fronted doors of this thing:

Oh and occasionally we just see something we don’t think we’re supposed to and it blows our mind. Like this rare angle that John noticed (he’s such a notice-er) on Bachelor Pad a few weeks back. Look how many lights are on the ceiling in that room behind Jake. Isn’t that crazy? The place looks so homey on TV but it must feel like such a set in real life (and probably gets pretty hot).

Who else takes TV pics? I can’t be the only person who does this, right? Or do you try to find screen grabs on the computer instead? Some of my shots are admittedly quite wonky due to TV glare. I know I could mess around with the camera a bit to cut down on that stuff, but I mainly just use them as memory joggers, so it’s ok if they have a weird blue tint or there’s a person or two oddly frozen in the room. Maybe you guys all just watch TV and relax like a normal person? Probably that, huh?

Oh and did anyone else go Missoni crazy at Target? Sorry we’re late to that bandwagon/update. We actually didn’t make it there until Wednesday evening (the collection dropped on Tuesday morning) and of course it was hugely picked over/sold out by then, but I did spot these sweet rain boots (in an extra small) for Clara and couldn’t resist. She already tries to wear them (they’re a bit too big). Very cute.

I also grabbed this pretty geometric vase for the back of the living room console:

It’ll probably migrate around the house over time, but for now I’m loving the bold pattern and the metallic finish that references the chunky silver lamps nearby. Bah-dah-bling.

I also made off with these headbands for myself. They seem like a nice compromise for a ponytail obsessed gal like me. Now I can wear my hair down but still keep it out of my face. Oh who am I kidding, I’ll probably wear them with a ponytail. Update: already did here.

What did you guys buy? Was everything already gone? Was there someone in line buying 2K worth of Missoni stuff in front of you? Word on the street is that happened like crazy on Tuesday and Target’s website even crashed and folks are selling everything for $200 on ebay. Peeps be crazy for Missoni.

Comments

1. Sheela says

The Missoni craze is out of control! My sister lives in the DC area, and some of their stores were sold out within 2 hours. Here in Virginia Beach, the stores still had product as of Wednesday, but the glass items (votive holders, vases, etc.) were pretty much gone. I picked up 2 votives (a bargain at $5.99 each) and a couple of the glass photo frames. I also got a set of the little journals for $7.99, so nothing too wild here. But what a marketing coup for Target!

2. Andrea C says

… oh my …. I n e e d some of those rain boots – or gum boots as we call them here – in my size! Modern Family – impressed that you can decor-spot in between laughing at Gloria!

Call me weird, but I don’t get the Missoni craze :o) For the most part the patterns remind me of the worst of the 70s. Except, … those rainboots. Those are very cute and I can’t wait to see Clara wearing them!

• ruthie says

Me either! It’s all the same pattern with slight variation. I think the the homegoods stuff is a little more tolerable, but not really digging all the chevron patterned clothing!

• Jenn says

I don’t understand it either. I remember a few years ago when paisley and flower prints were really big, and now you don’t see them anywhere. I think chevron is a fad, too, and a couple of years from now, people will be saying “that’s so 2011” or whatever. lol

• Jill says

I felt that way too.. what’s the big deal buying something from Target with some Italian’s name on the label? Mehhh. But some of the stuff is super cute!! Not the clothes. I don’t think that zig zag stripe would look good on anyone… maybe a stick figure?

Ditto…never have been a fan of Missoni! When I see it in Harper’s Bazaar or Lucky, I’ve always thought it was so busy and clashy. Not my favorite look. The rain boots, though, are the cutest thing of the whole Target collection!

well I am a weirdo too… i think that it is all ugly. it is way to 70s-ish. the boots are cute, but only because your princess will be wearing them and she is fabulous! :)

I haven’t gotten to Target yet but I have been browsing the Missoni collection online!

Anyway, I love all those snip-its of inspiration. I loved the wall color in Katherine Heigl’s apt. in 27 dresses. I also love the porch from The Notebook. I guess I steal inspiration from the tv too!

5. Meg A. says

I didn’t even know that people were going to FREAK over the Missoni collection. I’ve been looking for a “diaper bag” (that’s not actually a marketed/over-priced diaper bag) and I happened to spot the bright zig-zag bag in a commercial on Mon. night. Wandered onto the website Tuesday morning… it had crashed but I persisted and finally got on and ordered the bag. And then I find out later the same $35 bag is reselling for $200! Crazy! I was a little tempted to sell it, buttt the bag is just so darn cute. My baby wants me to have it.

So this might be offensive depending on how much you invest yourself in reality tv, but am I the only one who sees a resemblance between Jake and a certain Petersik?

Yep I’ve checked ebay to see how much the mark ups are and it’s insane! I could die for those curtains though. Yes I do that with photos. I have a huge set of ones I need to upload from my iphone to my online album for inspiration/photo albums/laugh and delete.

8. Jessica says

Can I just say I’m HUGELY dissappointed by the whole thing?? I saved for 2 months for the bike.. The bike was amazing true Shimano adjusters and everything.. AND SOMEONE BOUGHT BOTH OF THEM. Oh he offered to sell me one right there while I was waiting in line with him in front of me (no, he hadn’t purchased them yet.) Yeah he said he’d let me take one for $899. $899!!! FOR A BIKE THAT WAS $399!!!! I was sooooo upset… That was the ONLY thing I had wanted from the line, because for the things on that bike, it was a truly good deal. (Instead I shoved the $350 back into my savings.. My husband used $50 to purchase a sweater for himself from the line.) I guess I’ll continue saving for another bike that tickles my fancy… Hate eBay sometimes… (Yes, I checked. He said he was just going to resell them both, cashier smirked and said nothing more.) Again. HUGELY DISAPPOINTED.

Such a bummer :( I am so sad that the ebayers were out full-swing. It takes the FUN out of it for the rest of us…

At the prices things are listed on ebay, you might as well order some REAL Missoni!

I was there early Tuesday and snagged 2 scarves, a clutch (that I am still on the fence about keeping) and a tray–just what I went in for :)

• Heather says

crraaaazy!! Sorry for you Jessica! I just checked ebay and one of those Missoni for Target bikes sold for $3550!!! The other ones are selling for upwards of $1500. That is totally insane. People are crazy. nuff said.

• Jill says

Wow. that is horrible. BUT I did read online that they may still get some more inventory in through Oct 22 so it is worth going back to take a look!

• Penny says

I just checked the completed listings on ebay and also saw the bike sold for $3550. However the buyer only had 2 feedback, so I wouldn’t be convinced this is sale is going to be completed. Sometimes people just bid on things to raise the price, with no intention of buying them, for a variety of reasons. The only way to know is to watch the sellers feedback and see if she gives any to this buyer once the bike is paid for. I understand that this doesn’t help you, but people should take it with a grain of salt that something being sold at an outrageous price actually ends up at that price. The sale isn’t completed until the buyer gets the money!

• Jessica says

WOW. I didn’t check eBay just because of the prices I imagined… For that price, I would be getting an actual Dutch commuter/cargo bike. Seriously. I only wanted it because of the hydrolic Shimano gear shifts (a 3 speed cruiser is not found easily here in KY), basket and mudguards (a must for those towing kiddos!)… That and yes, it was super cute and totally my style. (The black and white that is, not the crazy weird brown grossness.) But thanks for the link Elizabeth!!! I may end up getting one of those after I’m over my heartbreak… lol

• Emily says

Checking eBay now, it looks like the resellers might be getting the shaft. Most of them aren’t selling, and the ones that are, they’re going for less than purchase price. Oopsie!

9. Mariah says

Almost all the Missoni stuff is gone in our area! (DC/MD)
    I tried most of Tuesday to get on the Target website…uh from work…shhhh :) but it was crashed most of the time or I could only make it as far as the home page. I was hoping to score the purple and charcoal chevron dress socks for my husband’s Christmas stocking. Sold out in all the stores in our area and online! I checked ebay and bid on a pair the same day but they quickly climbed out of my price range and sold for about $25 (in a weird auction that only lasted a few hours…didn’t know they had those…)
    LOVE the rain boots you got for Clara!

10. Diane says

I’ve taken TV pictures of haircuts I want. My hairdresser just LOVES me for challenging her with the lack of multiple angles and tininess of the picture on my phone.

I love it that you find inspiration everywhere! Ya’ll are definitely passionate about your craft. I guess I never pay that much attention, and if I notice something, I think “yeah, I’ll remember that” and I never do.
    One thing that I am so good at spotting, when they mess up the details of the shot frames…like when someone’s glass is full in one frame and empty in the next. Or hair is behind the shoulder and then over the shoulder. My husband thinks it’s crazy, but I think I have a secret career as a film editor (if that’s even the job title).
    P.S. going to Target today- I only want one thing…holding my breath it’s still there…

It cracks me up how people went cookoo for cocoa puffs over all the Missoni. If I wouldn’t spend $100 on it, trust me I will not go on ebay to buy it for $200. Plus, it is Target Missoni. It is not like you are getting their real product at a lower price. You are getting a Target product with the signature Missoni pattern. Ok my rant is done.

I love those wood floors.

13. Lauren says

What do you think of ANTM Allstars? Am I the only one who had no idea this was going to happen? Do you hate Alexandria as much as I do??

• JennyB says

I missed it this week..I think I recorded the last 20 minutes or so but haven’t watched it yet. I am 42 years old and I love ANTM..how sad is that!