Hating The Scale

Nope, this isn’t a weight loss post. The scale that I’m talking is this too small had-it-so-we-used-it bookshelf that we shoved into the guest room (just days before my mom arrived) a few months back. Talk about teeny tiny:

And somehow we forgot to update you guys about a little switcheroo that took place after we got our new (well, very old) dresser for the bedroom from John’s dad. So here’s a very belated dresser related news flash: we moved our old malm (from Ikea five years ago when we moved to Richmond from NYC) into the guest room. So it looked like this:

The scale is definitely better. Someday we’d love to get a thrift store dresser or cabinet (our old malm guy has a wonky drawer and more than a few scratches if you look closely enough). But for now it works. Especially because it’s in the we-already-had-it-so-it-was-free category.

There it sat looking a little lonely and still a bit bare up top for a while until late last week. Something got into me and I decided to hunt around in our crazy storage room (aka: the future playroom/second kids bedroom) to find the big mirror (scored for $5 at a garage sale a while back) that used to rest above this very dresser in our old guest room (and then in our old sunroom once the guest room turned into our office as well). It was still wrapped in bubble wrap from back when we moved and leaning in the corner of the playroom. Talk about delayed reactions. It has always been a little bit too big for our malm dresser, but since we someday hope to upgrade to a great thrifted dresser (preferably a smidge wider and made from solid wood so it’ll really go the distance) we’re ok with the 1″ overhang on each side for now (it was like that in our former guest room and sunroom so maybe we’re just used to it).

As for baby safety, Clara’s never in this room alone (we keep the door closed) and we’ve slammed the door and tugged on the dresser a bunch to make sure it’s not too tippy (thankfully it stays put) but if we ever use the room more with Clara we’ll be sure to mount it to the wall (along with the dresser). You know, in the name of maintaining our Captain Careful nicknames.

Oh and of course I added some guests-might-like-it stuff to the top of the dresser too (do you know me at all?). Like a stack of magazines, a book called The United Cakes Of America (who doesn’t like reading about the history of cake and looking at so-amazing-you-wanna-lick-the-book iced creations?)…

… and our piggy bank (that’s really where we drop our change- no idea why it always ends up in the guest room but it was in there in our last house too). So to those who stay with us: look how much we trust you. We must really like you.

I love that the dresser provides a place for guests to store clothing (and for us to shove things they might need like spare shampoo and towels, which we’ve stowed away in the top drawer):

So thanks to inheriting our new dresser from J’s parents when they were selling their house, all this guest room tweaking was free. And nothing feels better than spending zero point zero zero dollars (anyone get that Bronx Beat from SNL reference?). Warning: it’s semi scandalous (read: not work or kid friendly) but it also makes me snort sometimes.

Have you guys done any furniture rearranging or swapping? Or wrestled with scale issues of your own? How about finding something awesome on the curb or near a dumpster that’s perfect for your house and totally free? I love those stories. Even though they never happen to me. Hearing them makes me feel like someday my perfect curbside find will come. Gotta keep the dream alive.

Comments

1. karen says

I love the brassy/gold frame of the mirror with that wall colour!! It would be cool if you put more of that tone in there.

Love the mirror, but it looks tippy. Would Clara be able to “rock it” over? just checking, maybe you fixed it to the wall already!

Thanks for the concern. Clara’s not allowed in the guest room alone (we keep the door closed and supervise her if we’re all in there) but we did slam the door a million times and tug on the dresser and it’s not tippy (it’s very heavy and tilted out enough to be sturdy). But if it ever becomes a room that we’re in more regularly with her we’ll definitely mount it to the wall just in case.

I love the towel and toiletries (sp?) idea in the top drawer! I don’t know why I never thought of that (could be that any company I have always end up sleeping on the couches instead of the guest room – crazy folks!

Can’t believe you got the mirror for $5 – don’t you love finding a great deal? As for dumpster diving, I’ve done it once – for the kookiest thing, too. I found one of those revolving eyeglass display stands like you see in stores…you know, the ones with tons of holes running up and down and a few little mirrors on it. I was just sure it could be dressed up and turned into a great display for doing craft shows…it’s still sitting, unadorned, in my garage, and will most likely make its way back to a dumpster :o)

I love the new piece- the scale is much better and I just LOVE what a big mirror can do for a room! This one bounces off the natural light in your space beautifully! I also LOVE that you have a piggy bank sitting out for your parents to contribute to…. ha!

abodelove.blogspot.com

Oh my GOSH, sister christian, I move furniture from one room to another ALL the time! I was thinking about that this weekend and am kinda excited that I’m old enough and have good enough taste at this point that I don’t need to buy all new stuff when I want a new look. Aging has it’s advantages, I suppose. :)

So, same topic but with a question thrown in there- when we bought our condo it came with two larger than life (think 2 x 3.5 feet)mirrors in each bathroom. While painting…er, watching my partner paint… the kitchen this weekend, I was thinking that I could totally repurpose them buy putting a fun colored frame around them and moving one to over the dresser in the master bedroom! Any ideas on how to do that or a site that might help out?

Thanks- have a GREAT week! :)

7. Mary says

I highly encourage “midnight garage sale-ing” (curbside shopiing) and dumpster diving. This is a run-down of all that I’ve snagged: my dresser, our hall bookcase, a nightstand we store our dog leashes in, a massive dog crate that would normally cost $165, an artist’s easel, all my bookcases, my mirror… that’s all I can think of now!

My rule of thumb is nothing too big, nothing actually in the dumpster (Most the people in my complex leave desirable objects next to the dumpster.), nothing soft, and it should look decent, or at least would after some light cleaning/repairs.

8. Jennifer says

We moved a bookshelf thing from our bathroom into the nursery. It felt weird at first, b/c I’d gotten used to seeing towels and toiletries on the shelves….now it holds books and toys! The only “new” furniture we got for the nursery is the crib! I’d say we repurposed very well! :-) Once you get a bigger dresser in that space, it will look better. Love the mirror.

The scale is better, but a slightly larger dresser would be even better! Love the garage sale mirror. We bought a huge one at a sale for $5 several years ago. A few months back, I saw the same mirror in a consignment shop for $80! Wahoo!

Recently, I got an indoor couch that looks like a bench for free from an AA meeting place: http://ourhumbleabowed.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/bench-warming/

I’ve been working on refinishing it this past week, so hopefully it looks like a million bucks and not a trashy couch…

I love the brassy/gold color of the mirror against the walls (which is a color I really love!). I think the 1″ overhang is fine. You can barely notice it.

I’ll have to wait until I’m home to watch the video, but I do love me some Betty White!

11. Mary says

You made my day with the acronym YOGA and Betty White!

Happy Monday to you Sherry!

I love finding things you forgot you had that are in the “free” category :) That mirror looks great, there!

13. Kristina says

I second a happy green dresser. I bought a 1964 Ethan Allen coffee table for 5 dollars that I am going to turn into an entry bench. I actually plan on painting it green and getting some graphic green and white fabric to make a seat cushion. The green of the headboard in your guest room is what inspired my new found fascination with green.

Just yesterday my mum & I found a big wooden table and six chairs out on the curb in her street! We carried it down the street with people along the way complimenting the table. The table is perfect, exactly what my husband and I envisioned in our future house, but the chairs I may sell. Gotta love some free shopping, all the buzz of shopping without the cost! P.s. Isn’t it amazing how just moving your stuff around can make it feel all brand new?!

misshayleysprettythings.blogspot.com