Decorating Our Green, Pink, And Metallic Christmas Tree

Yes, we’re those people.

I personally get irritated whenever stores skip holidays. For example, if I’m walking around Target and they have Christmas stuff out but it’s not even Thanksgiving. Not ready yet. Let me get through Turkey Day before you push your red & white santas and snowmen on me. But this year we did the unthinkable…

… we set up our Christmas tree before Thanksgiving. I’m so sorry. Feel free to virtually slap us or break out an “oh no you di’int.”

We’ve already warned our Thanksgiving guests, and thankfully they acted like it was some fun novelty. So we’ll be able to tell you firsthand if turkey and mashed potatoes taste less Thanksgiving-ish when eaten in the same room as a big glowing Christmas tree.

Why the rush? Well, we usually like to decorate our tree the first week of December. Sometimes the second if we’re not especially on the ball. But since we’re moving in mid December we decided that in order to enjoy it for the three-weeks-or-so period that we normally do, especially since it’s Clara’s first Christmas, we had to break that baby out a bit early this year (before we have to pack everything up for the move in a few weeks).

Our color scheme this time around is champagne, metallic green, silver, and pink – all in honor of Clara’s aforementioned first Christmas (check out last year’s citrus theme here, and the year before that’s monchromatic scheme here). Thankfully we already owned a lot of silver and champagne colored ornaments so we got the pink bulbs along with some metallic green ones for $20-ish at Michael’s (where they were having a half-price holiday ornament sale). I was going for something frosted and girly but not too feminine for the guys in the house (I resisted the urge to bring in some over the top pink feathered boas as garland with John and Burger in mind). Speaking of our four-legged son, this festive chihuahua ornament (from John’s Godmother) is too hysterical not to put up- even though it’s not technically pink, silver, green, or champagne.

Ditto for our just married moose ornament (it’s a bride moose and a groom moose, procured during our Alaskan honeymoon). So even though it’s hardly glam and baby-girl-esque, it’s too sentimental to leave out:

And you already may have noticed a few other personalized ornaments that worked their way in- like this silver (yes, it even fits into our color scheme) Empire State Building ornament that reminds us of our early days in NYC.

In the end we love how soft and sweet it looks (John approves, and Burger seems oblivious as always). Definitely baby-girl-ish, but not too overdone and pastel-y to work in a room with a geometric rug and a clean-lined modern sofa. And of course I tossed down our faux sheepskin rugs as a tree skirt (an odd tradition that we’ve kept up for the past 4+ years).

Oh yeah, and for the second year in a row we’ve had a bit of an issue with the pre-lit tree (the bottom strand of lights was out, but the solution was as simple as stringing a strand of lights around the bottom to correct it). I’m sure we could try to find the bulb that’s burned out to fix it for real, but the added-strand-o-lights approach works just as easily for us (since we already had one around).

And just in case you’re one of those Christmas enthusiasts who not only likes checking out a tree in November, but actually wants to see us put it all together at high speed (like John’s old coworker who starts playing holiday music the day after Labor Day- hi Lauren!) here’s a holly jolly video for you (complete with that burned out string of lights at the bottom of the tree and a baby who wants nothing more than to eat every ornament we hold within her reach). Or you can watch it here on YouTube.

So that’s our tree this year. What about you guys? Any fun color schemes or themes swimming around in your head for your own tree decorating adventures in a few weeks (edible? jewel toned? Jersey Shore inspired?). Let’s chat. If you’re ready, that is. If not feel free to wait the obligatory week or so to join the conversation.

Psssst- If you’re excited to get into your red footie pajamas and go holiday crazy, check out this section of our Projects page for lots of Christmas-related stuff.

1. Christina says

Looks great! We’re feeling Christmasy early this year at our house too! We get a live tree every year, and the theme of our tree is always “family.” We’ve bought a non-breakable ornament on every vacation and trip together since our honeymoon, and it’s a fun way to reminisce and count our blessings every year as a family as we decorate the tree (nothing breakable on our tree so the kids can have fun hanging ornaments too). We’ve got everything from a NYC yellow taxi to a gondolier from Venice and a bear from the Appalachians. We also add a homemade felt advent ornament each night as a family up until Christmas day. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

2. Jenn says

Thank goodness I’m not alone! We put up our decorations and tree (white, silver, black and a hint of red color scheme) last weekend. The weather was perfect and nothing was on our schedules so it seemed like the perfect time for us.

Your tree looks beautiful by the way!

3. Christy says

Pretty! I generally wait until after Thanksgiving, but that’s just because I have too much going on to decorate earlier. IMO, Thanksgiving and Christmas blur into one big holiday season, and intertwining decorations is part of that!

And remember with the artificial tree – those things are covered in lead, and you want to keep baby far far away!

4. Brittany says

I have my mantle decorated, so you’re not alone. Our tree will be up this weekend. We have maintained a red and gold theme, so I can stock up on beautiful ornaments whenever.

We bought a full, 8′ prelit tree at a garage sale a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, we didn’t notice the water damage on the box, so none of the lights worked. We had to cut off 1200 lights. It took several hours but was completely worth it for $20 and a beautiful tree.

5. Melissa Irvin says

LOVE the video! I really enjoyed the close ups of Clara – looks like she is talking! She just wanted to nosh on those ornaments! Precious and priceless!

6. Christina Shelton says

My hard and fast rule has always been that Christmas doesn’t start in our house until Dec. 1st. However, I’m glad you posted your video since you will have a few weeks more experience than I will. Is Clara crawling yet? How do you keep her safe around the tree, and the tree safe from her? My son will be 6 months old on Christmas Eve and I’ve been wondering how it will work to have the tree set up in the same room where the baby spends most of the day. He doesn’t crawl yet but he’s working on it. The only thing I can think of is to put up a smallish tree on top of a table in the corner. Any ideas? Has Clara made a run for the tree yet?

Hey Christina,

Clara is just a smidge over 6 months but not crawling yet. We expect her to be a lot more mobile in a few more months, so next year’s tree will probably be a whole different ballgame! As for your little guy, if he’ already on the go, a tabletop tree would be a great solution. Good luck!

7. Selina says

I’m stealing your suggestion for a Jersey Shore themed tree…complete with Snooky’s pouf as the topper and the tree will have to be sprayed orange in honor of spray tanning.

Okay so I commented on your earlier post that I was in Michael’s last night shopping for centerpiece stuff. I was also shopping for ornaments, and I was thiiiis close to buying those ones! Seriously we gotta stop doing this, if we worked together we’d be the people who unknowingly show up in matching outfits ;)

But I passed on them because of the pink. I don’t have a baby girl, so I’m sticking with a blue and silver muted color scheme…but not until the second weekend in December or so since we’re getting a real tree :)

@Amanda – I’ve been using our Thanksgiving tablecloths as tree skirts. I host Thanksgiving, and usually my sister hosts Christmas, so we don’t need the extra table cloths for dinner. Plus, we have a table cloth that I found that almost matches our dining room wall color, so it sort of pulls that color into our living room (which is open to it by french doors). Anyway, it’s my thrifty way of not having to buy two things that I pretty much only use once a year.

10. mribaro says

Clara trying to taste ornaments is hilarious! So cute. The tree looks so classy and sophisticated, yet quirky and fun in details :)

As this tree was decorated with Clara in mind, I’ll share with you how a friend of mine has been decorating her tree ever since she got a son – veeeeery kid-proof and kid-friendly! What she did is she’d bought a dozen of small, white, plush bears with red pointed caps, and she hangs those instead of glass balls. That way she thinks if the tree falls down because a toddler pushed it or something, at least there won’t be million sharp shards on the floor from broken oranments. She also adds some velvety bows and some silk ones, and a couple of pom-poms. Her tree looks nice because she sticks to a limited color scheme – red and white on a green artificial tree, but at the same time it’s fun when you realize what the ornaments are :)

Yeah I’m with you on both counts… I hate that stores skip holidays! But this year, all of my Christmas decor is out as of Sunday night and I have to say I love it. I skipped decorating for Halloween and Thanksgiving so I don’t have any “mixing” of decor… the horror! =) Plus we don’t host Thanksgiving so no one has to know…

We did it out of necessity this year since we won’t be home the next two weekends and having just three weeks of it up didn’t seem like enough. But now that I know how awesome it is to be done early, I might do this every year.

But still no Christmas carols for a couple weeks…yeesh.

My SIL puts up her tree the week before Thanksgiving because that’s one holiday when we’re all together at the same time, rather than in waves throughout Xmas Day… So if it wasn’t up, it would be a real downer for us all.
    This year I’m going to put up my tree (pre-lit) on Thanksgiving morning, while the potatoes are cooking and the salad’s being made, and then I’ll start decorating it a little each night once December rolls around.
    There just aren’t enough hours in a holiday day!!!