How To Make A No-Sew Crib Skirt (Video Tutorial)

We’re back with another update on John’s sister’s little-boy-on-the-way nursery that we’ve been transforming for the past few weeks (see how we painted stripes and hung mirrors here). This week’s project is a custom crib skirt that we easily whipped up on the cheap with fabric that we snagged on sale and without the use of a sewing machine- or even a needle and thread! Here’s how:

Simple, right? We love that all you need is some fabric you heart, a measuring tape, an iron, hem tape and a bit of velcro. And this was actually our first time taking on a project like this, so if we can do it on camera you can totally follow along at home (hopefully with an iron that’s on). John’s favorite part was when I said “you’ll have a ribbon of stick” when I was struggling to describe the iron-on tape. Eh, you win some, you lose some.

And speaking of winning, how great is it that Emily can now shove a ton of stuff under her crib and no one will ever be the wiser? Especially since she thought she couldn’t have a crib skirt in a modern baby-boy nursery for fear that it would look too frilly or traditional for her tastes. Thank goodness for that inky blue geometric fabric! We love that it’s clean and modern yet oh-so-kid-friendly at the same time. Kids like shapes, right? Especially paired with zoo animals.

So that’s the rundown of our crib skirt adventure. Stick around for more DIY nursery undertakings and of course the big reveal. And because we know you appreciate a budget breakdown, we’ll leave you with our total cost for this entire project: $35. And that includes velcro, iron on hem tape, and two yards of high-end-but-on-sale fabric. We probably could have done the whole thing in under $15 but we fell hard for the fancier fabric and didn’t look back. And a custom $35 crib skirt still isn’t bad at all when you consider that this one from Restoration Hardware Baby can run ya $80.

Oh and we even had enough extra fabric leftover to make a pillow for the chair next to the crib so that’s also included in the total (we’re going to use the fabric in reverse for a complementary lighter blue pop of color nearby). Can’t wait. Seriously is it nerdy that this stuff gets us all giddy and hyper? Do any of you guys have a DIY nursery project of your own going on right now? Any buns in the oven out there? Any kid room makeovers in general (from toddler to big boy or tween to teen for example)? Let’s hear it.

I had a blast doing my sister’s nursery (which you guys so graciously featured) so I know the giddyness you’re talking about! I can’t wait to see the final reveal and all the modern baby boy details!

2. Reagen T. says

This is fabulous. I’ve been reading your blog for a while now as it’s given me that extra push to transform my apartment from somewhere I’m just living temporarily to an actual home. I’ve pulled so many ideas from YoungHouseLove, and this may be another one I borrow. I’ve just been asked by friends to help design their baby-boy-on-the-way’s nursery in a comic book theme. My first “commission” if you will, outside of my own home, and so many ideas rattling around in my head! Being in ND (miles away from anything) and frugally minded this is just another way to add a custom touch to that room with the fabrics we’ll be using for all the other bedding. Thanks so much and keep it coming =)

Wow guys, thank you so much for the video! I have always wondered if the iron on stuff really worked and how easy it would be. After seeing this, I know I could actually attempt it :) Your finished product looks absolutely awesome and I can’t wait to see the rest of the nursery makeover!!!

4. MrsEAM says

Thank so much for posting this! I hated the crib skirt that Pottery Barn had with my bedding and had decided not to use one at all. Now I can pick a fun pattern and make it myself! And the velcro to shorten when the bed drops? Genius, since all the other crib skirts I’ve seen just bunch up on the floor.

5. jbhat says

What a great project. I am not a seamstress and never ever will be, so anything that can be put together with anything other than a needle and thread (or a dreaded bobbin) appeals to me greatly.

You guys rock.

I made a bedskirt for my guest room the same way a few years ago. I love iron on hemming tape – it doesn’t get any easier! I didn’t hear it mentioned but make sure you wash the fabric first since some fabric tends to shrink and you’d hate to perfectly measure everything only to have it shrink up on you. :)

• YoungHouseLove says

Greeeeaat tip Heather! That’s definitely something we forgot to mention and it’s always a good idea!

7. Beth says

Hey Guys!
    I’ve got a bun in the oven! Love it that you’re working on this nursery that lines up with my timeline. I love this idea for the bedskirt. Those bedding items are pretty pricey!

8. Schae says

Hi there

I’m a few weeks pregnant and come to your site every day for inspiration. We’ll only begin with the nursery when we’re a little further along but in the meantime, I’m enjoying your tidbits of information a lot!!

Really cute project! Didn’t know about the bondable tape!

We are currently doing a little makeover on a budget with our quads room. Which after we get 4 cribs in one room it’s bound to look like a Russian orphanage, but it will look better, nonetheless. Here’s a link to our project:

and here:

I’m new to your blog, as someone alerted it to me in the comment section of the above post. Thanks for all the great ideas and fabulous decorating advice!