In The Hopper For Young House Love

Ok, so now that we’re holding it down at a new URL, we figured you guys may be wondering what those fun features that we mentioned would be coming soon might be. Well, there’s lots to look forward to so here’s just a smattering of exciting projects and developments coming to Young House Love…

#1. A Young House Love Nursery: If people could get pregnant by popular demand, Sherry and I might just be having octuplets. And since so many of our readers were crossing their fingers that our big announcement would be a baby, we figured it was high time we did a nursery makeover, even if it’s not in our house. My sister Emily (check out her amazing casa right here) is due in October and she recruited us months ago to majorly transform her empty bedroom into a nursery for her little one on the way. We are both geeky-excited about it. With a before like this you know it’s going to be dramatic:

emilys-nursery-before-picture-small

nursery-other-angle-emily-before-pictures-young-house-love

Yes, there’s an awesome track door leading into one side of the room (the other side is accessible through a regular doorway) so there are already some pretty amazing features to work with. Is it weird that before pictures actually make our mouth water? It’s pavlovian. And as for expanding our little family, it’s not in the works yet but it’s certainly something we look forward to in the next year or so.

#2. Videos, Baby: We’ve already ordered some video equipment to make it quick and easy to wax poetic whenever the mood strikes. And we also have a little TV appearance coming up so that should be fun/potentially-embarrassing.

#3. Our House’s History: We never knew you guys were so curious about our house’s original owners until we started receiving quite a few emails and comments asking if we’ve ever heard from them. Well guess what? Last week we heard from them. The original owners who lived here for almost forty five years contacted us after coming across our blog through a friend. Oh the tales they told. And we can’t wait to spill all the dirty details about our humble house’s past. Let’s just say there we plenty of new discoveries. And speaking of discoveries, here’s an old post about how we found some pretty amazing things under our old cabinets when we redid our kitchen (the bottom one is a childhood drawing by the woman who contacted us from back when she was five years old!):

original-homeowners-young-house-love-1

#4. The Usual Suspects: Of course we have more Reader Redesigns, Burning Questions, House Crashing adventures, Design Dilemmas, before & afters, DIY projects, follow-up posts (how do we like our new bed a month later? how’s our edible garden doing?), Fab Freebies, and a slew of tutorials (hanging art, painting paneling) on our list. So keep an eye out for that stuff coming down the pipeline to a computer screen near you.

#5. Another Katie Bower Play Date: Ever since we visited Katie and her husband Jeremy over at All Bower Power to crash their house and make a fun little video, the people (you, our dear readers) have clamored for more. And we like to give the people what they want. So we already have a meet-up on our schedule…

#6. Some Bathroom & Basement Action: So many of you were hoping that our big announcement was a total basement or bathroom makeover that it got us even more excited to take on both of those major projects. We can’t promise a finished product anytime soon, but we’re formulating a plan and hope to kick things into gear in the near future (we’re just saving our pennies for a little while). And we know you’re all about instant gratification but time flies when you’re busy enjoying items 1-5 on this list, right? Until we “break ground” (literally) on both of those projects, we’ll leave you with a picture of our dank, dark, and oh-no-you-di’int basement. We can’t wait to get to work.

basement-before-picture

scary-old-nasty-basement

So that’s what’s cookin’ here at Young House Love. Who’s hungry? Anything else you’d like to see in the coming weeks or months? Consider this a suggestion box of sorts.

p.s. psst, have you updated your bookmarks / reader / blogroll / outgoing links / Twitter/ Facebook yet? If you’re still heading our way using old TYH methods, they won’t last for long so don’t forget to make the switch! We’d hate to lose a single one of you lovely people.

Comments

1. summer smith says

We only want you to have a kid because, well… just go look at the wedding week photos/stories again! You’re like the most adoreable couple!

2. Krysta says

Oh I can’t wait for a painting paneling tutorial! Eeeek!!! I just closed on my home this month and (in addition to mulitple layers of some really “awesome” wallpaper) I’ve inherited a family room surrounded by DARK, wood paneling. In true YHL style I’m gonna paint rather than replace.

Everything sounds great, and you continue to be one of my favorite blogs! Even if I don’t have time to read anything else, I always pop in here.

4. Erin says

Sounds great! I’m one of those people personally excited about a nursery feature! We’re moving in 3 weeks, so it’s my chance to redo our 1 year old little boy’s bedroom. 4 weeks after our move-in date we’ll be welcoming a baby girl too- so that’s another new nursery to do! I’m SO excited to do two baby rooms and cannot wait to see your ideas!!

I’m soooo stoked for the nursery re-do… I’d love to see you smashing style done up for a little one! Congrats to your sister, does she know whether she’s expecting a little lad or a little lady? Either way, I’m sure your space makeover will be fantastic :)

6. Laura says

Ok, ten points to you for using “pavlovian”! And I’m super excited to see you do more with Katie Bower!

WOW guys!!!! I almost can’t BELIEVE how awesome your blog is :) I am really looking forward to all the new features and follow ups. Also, the painting paneling tutorial! Our whole basement is paneling. Eeek!
    Also can’t wait to see what you do with that basement…. *shudders*
    And Sherry, I know it’s not house related, but if you could ever do a post about where you buy your earrings……. :-D I love them all!

Hey Christie,

You know I’m a girl on a budget so most of my earrings actually come from…. Target! It’s my favorite pit stop when we’re there for other things (although I try not to grab some every time we walk through because I’d have a million pairs by now). Hope it helps! Glad you guys are excited about the future of Young House Love. We’re so amped up we can hardly sleep anymore!

8. Kelly says

You’re my favorite blog! The new name keeps making me sing “Young House Love, it’s driving me mad, it’s making me craaazy” That could be the jingle to start your videos, although then you’d have Steve Miller after you with a cease and desist :)

Something that could be fun would be where readers send in photos of something they’ve just freshened up, rather than completely redone.

Keep being your awesome selves!

9. Mandy says

YAY! So excited for all the fun things coming up. I second the updates on hangin’ with Katie (you two are my daily must-reads), new mattress, composting, garden, and rain barrel. I tried the compost bin but didn’t last long for us, filled up too quickly and we don’t have room for two – can’t wait to hear how you guys are working with this. Maybe a bigger bin next time?

Thanks so much for doing what you do!! : )

10. Heather says

Didn’t you guys do some type of bedroom makeover with Katie Bower? Or did I miss that? Or maybe I read it wrong..

Hey Heather,

You’re a mind reader. Yes back when we visited we did a little bedroom refreshing and took some pics to document what happens when you put two house obsessed bloggers in a room together. Stay tuned for those pics and the makeover play by play coming soon!

Sherry

11. Christa says

Have you ever thought of having a service where you help your readers find a similar piece to one they see on tv/in a mag/etc and there’s no resource listed? For example, say I see a great chair in a magazine but its source isn’t listed on a resource page at the back (after all, not all magazines are as thorough as Domino…tear). I can’t seem to find it on my own, so I’d email you with a picture of it and you could help locate something comparable…or, I see something way out of my budget and you help locate a version on the cheap. Just a suggestion for a service to add to your shop!

Thanks for a great blog – I look forward to what YHL will have to offer!