Reader Redesign: Stellar Sliders

When sweet southern Beth emailed us some pictures of her newly spruced sliding doors (she implemented one of our favorite tricks that we love to recommend for dressing up sliders) we couldn’t wait to share the eye candy. Here’s her letter:

Hey there Youngsters! Just wanted to share with you what I copied from ya’ll to dress up our sliding glass doors! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful idea (I love how it looks in your living room and your den). When it came to our sliders, the existing hardware had been attached to our wall since the 70s, so sanding and spackling (and a new coat of light blue paint for the whole room) was necessary to make it look cleaner since the wall wasn’t being covered up by a HUGE valance anymore. All my friends come over and ask how I did it, so I’m sure this window treatment will be applied to many homes here in Atlanta very soon. Thanks again for your inspiration! And another big thank you for the Behr “Paint Project” post. With that application, I tried out the blue paint for the living room online first and then applied it to my room the next week! You guys ROCK! -Beth

Here are those sliding doors before…

window-treat-before

…during…

window-trmt-during

…and after:

window-trmt-after

Lovely transformation Beth! Thanks so much for sending the pictures our way. Of course the wall color really lightens things up but those breezy curtains and bamboo blinds definitely contribute to the crisp and airy feel in your fabulous Atlanta living room. What do you guys think about Beth’s fabulous sliding door do-over? Oh and be sure to drop in on her blog to see what else she’s up to!

Comments

1. Kate says

Wow, I LOVE this room. The paint color is gorgeous and looks great with the new window treatments. Way to go Beth!

2. Holly says

What a great way to transform a room! I just bought some bamboo shades last night at Target for only $15.99!!! I was so excited to find them because I had done some researching online and was thinking I was going to have to pay around $30 each. Gotta love a great deal! That plant in the corner looks great too :-)

3. Emily says

Beth, I would love to know where you got your blinds. I need some that are about that wide for several windows in my home. Beautiful transformation! Thanks in advance

Great transformation. I do have a question though regarding drapes. Do you have to get enough panels to cover the entire door or window or do you just get one panel to flank each sides of the window/door?

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Abbey,

It really can go either way but in Beth’s case (and in our home as well) hanging just one panel high and wide on each side of a window or glass door will add billowy softness and the bamboo blinds can be lowered or raised to control light and provide privacy (which Beth recently mentioned that she does in her comment below). Hope it helps!

Sherry

Thanks guys!

We actually got the blinds at Home Depot, because I was there grabbing a bunch of other things (not to mention I couldn’t find them at my local Walmart like John and Sherry). They are pretty long though, so they almost completely cover the door at night….which is great.

Depot has a ton of colors and sizes to choose from. Hope this helps!

6. lauren says

at the risk of sounding like a stalker, i think i just saw john walking on main in front of the christopher’s cart… does he wear aviators?

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Lauren,

Haha that was totally him! He must have been walking to or from the gym. I love those aviators.

7. Ashley says

I love this look, but I might have a hard time convincing my husband to go for it (he wants vertical blinds..yuck). What are some other sliding door options that are available?

• YoungHouseLove says

Hey Ashley,

The good news is that you can have this EXACT look with vertical blinds (they can just be slid to the side and tucked behind the curtains when they’re not in use). Gotta love function hidden behind form!

Sherry

Great makeover!! The room looks so much more open and with the addition of the plant in the corner, it looks tropical (I love the beach). I used to live in Atlanta and I know its a fun place to be and it’s HOT. The new room looks so comfortable and airy for hot Atlanta days :)

9. Laura in LA says

Oh Beth! This is great. Love the blinds and drapes, the wall color, and the change to the mirror with greenery!