Messy House Tour 2014

Since you guys have enjoyed the past messy house tour videos that we’ve shared (like this one from our last house in 2011), we seized the opportunity to remind everyone that we’re not all carefully folded towels and meticulously placed pillows 24/7 (not even close). With our attention focused mostly on the showhouse & some last minute nursery updates, many of our other house projects have been put on hold (some are literally halfway done) and a handful of rooms have quickly devolved into chaos. And when your house is a mess, why not video tape it for the whole internet to see?

A few notes:

• There is no rapping in this video. I am both relieved and somewhat disappointed.
  • I hate narrating these things and usually just hold the camera (I have steadier hands) while Sherry talks, but she was doing showhouse stuff so I put on my big boy pants and went for it.
  • Burger is all over this thing like a helicopter in a P.Diddy video.
  • Don’t worry about the droopy figs in the office. They bounce right back after getting some water… although they do seem to be suspiciously thirsty.
  • If there truly were a wedding between a sabre toothed tiger and a pony, I would have given anything to attend it as a child (I was a huge fan of any type of tiger, and checked out a library book about tigers every week for two years straight in elementary school)
  • Look at those gleaming hardwood floors after the climb to the second floor. They make my chest swell with pride.
  • For everyone asking what’s on the fourth wall of the nursery, you catch a quick glimpse of it in the video (it’s just a floor lamp and the doorway to the hall for now, but we might add a “wall of fun” like we did in Clara’s room eventually)
  • There’s some rarely seen footage of the unfinished storage room at the end of the upstairs hallway (and – surprise! – that’s a mess too)
  • I edited the end of the video to cut off myself shouting “keeping it real” because something possessed me to yell that out and the end of the video like a Backstreet Boy circa 1995 and I couldn’t not let it see the light of day. You understand, right?

In case you can’t watch the video at work (it would still pretty much tell the story sans sound), here’s a quick tour-via-screengrab of some of the highlights.

If everything stays on schedule, we should have a few days between our big Homearama deadline and our baby arrival date when we can hopefully wrap up a couple of projects and return things to some semblance of order. You know, right before Barnacle comes along and throws us all out of whack again…

Does anyone else have any messes to fess up to? Is there some half-finished project that’s causing a ripple effect into other rooms around it? We can’t be the only ones.

Psst – Showhouse deadlines have kept us even crazier than expected this week, so we’re not going to have a post for you tomorrow, but we hope to be back at it again on Monday.

Comments

1. Katherine says

Many thanks for the highlights summary. I was about to be sad that I couldn’t see your post until tonight.

I think this is the first time my place has EVER been cleaner than yours. I took out (old, gross, smelly) WtW carpet from my apartment in stages over the past several months, which has occasionally forced all of my possessions into one room for a week at a time. Everything finally looks okay, if you discount the fact that I still haven’t taken up all the carpet tacking. (No kids or pets to get hurt on it; enabling my laziness.)

2. Annelies says

Love the flow in your house! And so happy to see I’m not the only one who has some mess in their house sometimes :-) Good luck with the babies (showhouse & Barnacle) !

3. Nina says

Thanks for the post guys!

Quick question (and again I am sorry if this has been answered elsewhere!), but where is that lovely cream ottoman from? For some reason after reading the blog forever I am just noticing it and I am in the market for a similar one.

Thanks!

Nina

4. Tirsa says

Great job John!

Thanks for making me feel better about our mess. I have still to put away things from our weekend trip. (I’ll get to it today, I promise! :) )

Will miss you tomorrow, but totally understand. I can’t imagine how crazy it is for you guys right now. Can’t wait to see the finished show house.

5. Kati says

Have a fabulous day of not posting guys!!! I know it will be the opposite of a break, and I hope it is as productive as you need it to be. Thanks for keeping us in the loop with your adventures. :-)

6. Jen says

It is definitely refreshing to see that you guys have clutter too. I’m always down on myself because I have three (yes, three, I’m insane) large dogs and between their fur and toys, it’s hard to tell I clean all the time.

But the real reason I wanted to comment was to say thank you for being so considerate of your readers who view your blog from work and who can’t watch the videos. I always get bummed when other blogs post videos that I can’t watch, so it was so nice that you posted some screen shots from the videos for me to see! Thank you!

7. Jill says

Love this video! Thanks for being honest and showing us what your house looks like on a normal basis. It’s comforting to know that other people “live” in their homes the way we do. :)

8. Jessie says

Oh my goodness, I busted out laughing at the Burger-helicopter-Pdiddy thing, you all are too much, anyways, it is nice to know that my house is not the only house that is less than perfect, in fact, we are getting ready to put our house on the market, so we are in the middle of putting in floors and this and that and it is amazing how that process can destroy one’s living space!

9. Kimberly says

I know it’s silly, but I LOVE when you all do this. I know that you’re not perfectly neat all the time, but seeing proof of it does wonderful things for my heart and self-worth. ;-) My house is always a constant state of mess – one room will be clean, but only because I’ve moved it all to another room and then never get around to cleaning that one. Then the original room gets messy again – gah! It’s a terrible, terrible cycle!!!
    I’ll just drink some wine instead…

Okay first of all, I thought the caption for the Dining Room was going to say “Where stuff from the office and living room go to die…” Does that make me morbid?

Secondly, I wish our house was as “messy” as yours right now! We moved a month ago and still have stuff in boxes because there’s flooring to be finished and painting to be done. BUT I also know what it’s like to have a mess everywhere and feel sorta overwhelmed. But 38 wks preggo and showhouse stuff are really good reasons to just have a messy house for awhile. :)

11. Taya says

Ah. You just made me feel waaaayyyy less guilty about the clutter in my house. I love how you two show the world how you are actually real people!

Really appreciate this! I read this as I prepare to host a get together this weekend of 30 people and am not quite ready (why then am I on the internet?!). Anyway, I did a “behind closed doors” post once I saw something similar on another blog and found the response I received was great. Readers LOVE seeing real life so thank you for sharing! ::runs off to clean::