Less Is More (Unless You’re Talking About Oreos)

Life has been busier than ever for us – and there’s nothing like having a baby to confirm your true priorities. We’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately: what exactly are our goals? What are we working towards? Hoping to gain? The answer, we realized, was definitely not more blog hits or traffic or approval. Honestly we both feel unsettled by the idea of our blog growing any larger, and we look fondly back on the earlier days when we worked less, slept more, and spent more quality time with our family and friends. This little website of ours has already surpassed every expectation we ever could have had for it. So what are we chasing?

When Clara was born we were both blogging full time, but we had about a third of the traffic that we have now and we usually shared around one project a week amidst other home-related chitchat, family happenings, polls, reader makeovers, etc. It was one of the best times of our lives. We did less and had less, and we were completely comfortable. So in light of everything on our plates, this new baby boy, and a girl who’s growing up entirely too fast (cue the Armageddon music), we’ve decided to paddle back towards that.

We know this choice may directly correlate to fewer hits and therefore less income – and we’re ok with that. Sure, it’s a little scary not knowing where we’ll be in a few months or years (but we’ve never known that as professional bloggers anyway). We’ve made “risky” career choices before in the name of life quality – like leaving the NYC rat race and giving up steady salaries for blogging – but they’ve also been some of our best decisions.

Just like we did when we made those leaps, we’ve saved enough to help us sleep at night. We’ve also both left the door open in our previous professions, so even if this choice means we’ll eventually be taking on freelance advertising work again (which I did to make a living before we started this blog, and which John has dabbled with over the last few years) it’s a risk we’re willing to take in the name of bringing some balance back into our lives.

The good news is that our love of home improvement and blogging is burned deep into our hearts, and our to-do list is still a mile long. We have no plans to stop blogging anytime soon. We’ll still be posting our projects, planning, shopping, and other usual fare here regularly. But things will be noticeably different as we recalibrate our priorities (we think we’ll end up in the 3-5 posts per week range).

We’ll also be going back to sharing all of our family posts on Young House Love (sorry Young House Life). We’ve always had family stuff here – in fact some of our favorite (and most popular) posts are the personal ones about things like breastfeeding, Clara’s birth story, her photo project, this ridiculousness, and random facts about me and John. Between those types of posts always existing on our main site, and Instagram taking the place of the smaller family updates, Young House Life has felt less necessary lately, so we won’t be posting over there anymore.

We know some people will be relieved by this change of pace (many of you have encouraged us to slow down) or excited about the new looser style of posting, while others might decide to tune out – and we’re ok with that too.

We feel extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to make this choice. It’s not a decision that we’ve made lightly, and we realized that if we don’t seize it now, we may never have the chance to again. Teddy is our last baby and Clara is just a year away from kindergarten (how did that happen?!), so we want to enjoy this time with them instead of working our nights, weekends, and vacations away chasing some business goal we don’t even want.

We have no idea what the future holds, but even if the internet exploded tomorrow, we’re already so grateful for this amazing and completely unexpected journey of ours. This blog has surprised us in the most major of ways, and has led to some unbelievable experiences and opportunities, many of which we can’t quite wrap our minds around.

We still have big dreams for this house of ours and can’t wait to share how it evolves with you guys. But if you’ll excuse us, I have an almost impossibly tiny diaper to change and John’s off to buy some lumber again…

Comments

• Melissa says

Good for you guys! Seriously! Take this time to enjoy every moment. My heart feels heavy reading this post, but this is about you guys! Take the time and I look forward to following you in the years to come. You are part of my morning reads…at work. All the very best to you and your little family.

You guys are the best!!

Melissa.

Blogging is a weird weird world. I’m nowhere as big and popular as you guys, but every so often I like to take a step back too. It’s nice to make sure that I”m still doing things for ME and not doing them to please imaginary unseen people.

Congrats on making this choice for your family. I know it’s hard to slow down sometimes (I call myself “recovering Type A” for a reason…), but darn is it worth it.

Love you guys and I’ll ALWAYS be a reader! =)

2. Jill says

Good for you! As a mom getting ready to watch her oldest graduate high school next month, I can attest that time flies! Enjoy every minute with your sweet family. You won’t regret it.

Totally agree with Jill. Our baby turned 21 and now is married. Enjoy your babies. I admire you both so much and now I admire you even more for making this decision. It will now make the posts even more special to read having to wait for them to arrive!

• Lee says

I agree with Gale and Jill. My babies are 30 and 20. Time flies! Enjoy this time. We’ll be here.

• Danie says

My goodness just reading the posts about babies growing fast makes me want to cry all ready, and my baby is only 4 months old! I’m going to sob through her entire graduation later in life – guaranteed!

3. Shannon says

Good for you! Best post ever! Our oldest daughter goes to high school next year. Those years fly by quicker than you could ever think. Seize the day – the one the counts!

HEAR HEAR !
    APPLAUS !
    *raising my glass of wine*
    MORE APPLAUS !
    Couldn’t be more happy to see you re-tune your priorities!
    The internet won’t go away, your readers will just be √©xtra happy when there is new content.
    Loving this, with all my heart.
    Lots of love for you!
    Silke

5. Zuzanna says

I fully understand your decission and I am sure you will not regret it. The readers will adjust just fine. Best of luck on your new path (if you ever need an intern from Holland to come and take some load off your shoulders, please let me know ;) )
    Love you Guys!!!

Good for you guys!! I applaud your honesty and courage, and I can assure you I will still be a faithful reader ;-)

Congrats on the new baby…Teddy is so adorable!

7. Diana K says

I think this is my first time posting, but I love reading your blog and I am glad you have decided to not work ALL the time. Everyone needs time off to enjoy the finer things in life. I like the older days just as much as I like the blog now and will continue to read!!!

8. Sarah says

So glad you have the ability to make the decision that feels right to you. You are so smart to enjoy those sweet babies while you can! Take a well deserved break!

9. Faith says

Good for you! You’ve worked hard to reach the point where making a decision like this is even feasible, so congratulations. I don’t think spending more time with your family and friends is a decision you will ever regret and I, for one, will still be reading and following along your journey. After all, we’re friends too (even though you have NO idea who I am!) LOL

10. MelanieL says

Thank YOU for rebalancing, it takes guts and that’s what I love about it! Can’t wait to see what the future holds for your family, best wishes as you learn to navigate the world with 2 kiddos…I’ll always be here:)