Bringing Someone Else Into The Bedroom…

… it’s… gasp… a TV.

We were originally anti-TV-in-the-bedroom, so we know it’s not for everyone (and it’s downright sinful to some) but we only have one TV in our entire house – in the living room – and this guy was just sitting unused in the playroom (ever since we upsized the living room one since he wasn’t large enough to actually see from the sofa)… so we’ve gone and changed our minds. Haha. There’s actually a real reason behind the decision: more and more we’ve been thinking about how we have issues with work/life balance and it’s hard for us to “shut off.” Which is why we always end up working on the couch with our laptops and the TV on in the background. But a TV in the bedroom could become a no-work-and-no-multi-tasking spot – so we wouldn’t allow any laptops or work to take place in the room and we could actually concentrate on our favorite shows.

Just pure relaxation and zombie-apocalypse/Dexter viewing. What can I say, that’s our idea of a hot date. And I know there’s an old saying that a TV in the bedroom might keep you from… ahem… other activities. But we figure if things like caring for a toddler, renovating rooms, writing a book, and maintaining a blog don’t get in the way, that’s nothing a little TV in the bedroom could change. Aaand, now I’m blushing. Moving on.

Not gonna lie, it sounds downright heavenly to wake up on a lazy Sunday and watch a movie in bed with the bean instead of sitting on the sofa and immediately snapping into “we should be working” mode and grabbing our laptops.

And let’s just say a wall with a dresser and a TV are straight up spa-like when compared to this ridiculously cluttered before:

So I returned from all of our tour flights with a fire burning under my buns to whip the wall that we stare at every. single. night. into shape. The first step was just putting things where they actually belonged (books we had read went under the built-ins in the dining room with the rest of our collection, empty boxes got broken down and stashed in our recycling bin, the lamp moved back to where it should be, etc).

Then I moved our mid-century side tables (remember we phased them out here?) into the guest room. Now that we yard-saled the old dresser that was in there we have a completely bare wall – and two of them next to each other actually look like a console against it. I owe you guys a picture, but it definitely works for now. We don’t know if we’ll eventually use them in Clara’s big girl room, so we’ll have to keep you posted.

Anyway, once those were out of the way we could properly center the dresser (which was one of the only secret book projects that we paid for and kept since we were so in love with it – you might recognize it from this video). It sits directly across from our bed – for our prime viewing pleasure – and then we just plopped the old too-small leftover living room TV on the top.

So far, it totally works for us. Wait, except not literally. It’s not actually hooked up to cable or anything yet, so… womp-womp. Nothing to watch. Maybe I’ll “dude, get on that” in a week or two (returning from tour stuff + Thanksgiving week = too much going on to sit on hold with Verizon). Perhaps I’ll have the patience next week?

Oh and I’ve heard that it’s bad feng shui to sleep across from a TV or a mirror, but we actually slept facing a giant floor length mirror for a few years at our first house and didn’t have issues sleeping or anything like that- thank goodness. So maybe we’re immune? Haha.

Honestly, my favorite thing about the dresser actually being centered and cleared of clutter is that I get to put cute little jewelry dishes up there (which tie into the color of the rug, you know, because I’m coo-coo-for-stuff-like-that).

Also hanging out up there: wood blocks in our initials and our favorite number. Oh yeah, this stuff makes my day, guys. #noshameinmygame

So that’s where we are. Slowly inching towards a bedroom that looks less blank-wall-here, cluttered-junky-wall-there. We’ll let you guys know how the whole TV thing goes once it’s up and running. Who knows, we might end up never using it, hating it and removing it, or pretty much deciding we should never leave our room! Mostly I’m just excited that we can share photos of one of our favorite book projects on the blog. Yeehaw.

Do you guys have TV’s in the bedroom? I’m dying to know the breakdown (is it 50/50? way more than not? very rare indeed?) but the last time we embedded a poll it crashed our site, so we’ve cobbled this tiny poll together over on Facebook so if you feel like playing along or checking out the tally, click here. Can’t wait to hear where you guys land!

Psst- Have you guys seen baby Weston yet? It was so exciting getting the call in the middle of the night that he came into the world safely and all was well with Katie and the fam. Clara loves him already – and after I showed her a picture in the morning she lovingly said “I want to bother him.” Cute, right?

Comments

I wonder if sleeping in hotels during your book-tour was a bit of inspiration for TV in room. We love watching TV in bed in hotels.
    Currently our tv is downstairs, but one winter I brought it up so I could try to catch a flick or tv show before falling asleep … baby & boy snuggled beside me. I would get tired so early, but sometimes I wanted to unwind / veg in front of tv. It worked well for awhile, until I was staying up way to late, clicking through channels, mindlessly.

2. Katherine says

We are a four person family – me, hubs, two daughters 16 and 10 years old, and we are a two TV family: one in the family room and one in our bedroom. So you copied us! We are also a one computer family. That’s right, even with a teenager, we still just have an iMac in the family room. I suppose the teenager will need a laptop when she goes off to college, but until then, we are OK with just one computer. Weird?

We had a TV in our bedroom for a long time but it never got turned on except when my partner was out of town, then I’d watch marathons of my favorite shows on DVD late into the night. It was like a special (no sleep) treat for me! But since we never used it, I moved it out to my studio once it was built because out there I turn it on in the background while I’m working. I think it’s totally a matter of personal preference though- my Dad has always had a TV in the bedroom and turns it on every night when he goes to bed (at like 8pm). When my mom comes in two hours later he’s snoring away with the TV still on and when she turns it off he always startles awake and says “hey, I was watching that!”

4. Ashlea says

We always watch our shows in the bed, but since we don’t have cable, we are Netflixing and such on the laptop. Nothing like going to sleep after getting up close and personal with a “kill room”… ;)

We do have a TV in our bedroom (and family room and two other bedrooms). However, we have a lights out, TV off rule when we want to “know each other in the biblical sense” (we have 4 kids so as you can tell nothing is interfering with other activities). Mostly, I have the TV on so I can listen to the news when I am getting ready in the morning and I DVR all my decorating shows on that TV without hogging up space on the main family TV. When the little kiddo is in bed it is nice to have a place to watch a movie or a show without worrying that noise from the family room is keeping her up.

6. Ashley S says

Love the Ombre Dresser!… It has given me ideas for a dresser we have in our office/guest room that could use some TLC. Now I just need to get hubby on board and pull the trigger. And I say good for you putting the TV in your room and declaring a no work zone. I think if I worked from home the same thing would happen.

We’ve always had a TV in our bedroom (even though we never watched it unless someone was sick in bed) until we moved into a tiny midcentury bungalow in February (moved out of the burbs and into the city). We just flat don’t have room, and this timing has coincided with our son turning into a toddler. He wakes up EVERY. SINGLE. Saturday and Sunday at 6 AM and wants to watch some Yo Gabba Gabba. I would give ANYTHING to have a TV in our room so we could throw him in bed with us, turn it on and then doze back off. Such is life.

So, I officially approve your TV decision. :)

And I’ve never heard of a TV in the bedroom interfering with the boom boom. People know they turn off right? :)

• EmilyThompson says

Boom Boom made me laugh out loud at work. Oops. Busted. Also I am so glad to know you guys made time for boom boom during your crazy photo-shooting, book-writing, blog-tending, baby-wrangling life. Boom Boom is very important to me so I worry about it for other people. I know. I’m weird. I just don’t ever want to buy the Young House Love Divorce edition book :).

8. Nikki says

Hy hubby and I have one in our bedroom. The deal was there was to be no cable hooked up to that one. We use it only for Netflix. It’s nice curling up in bed together watching a Saturday night movie or a new TV series. Much more comfortable than the couch. It stays off more than it’s on, and we don’t find it gets in the way of other bedroom things ;)

I love that dresser!! I’ve been planning on doing an ombre thing with the dresser in our guest bedroom, and seeing yours solidified that it’s a good idea! :)

We don’t have a TV in our bedroom anymore just because it was an old school tube TV that took up a lot of room and it didn’t get used much at all. We actually remove the back cushions from our couch and snuggle that way when we watch TV.

P.S. Weston is so cute!! And it’s adorable that Clara is excited to “bother” him. :)

10. Monika says

I love/hate TV in the bedroom. Love because of all the reasons you gave but then hate because eventually it makes the family spend time apart (like the kids watching one thing, and parents another in a different room). OK, maybe I’m worried that I would never see my husband who would take this opportunity to watch football non-stop. LOL! Btw, whad up with the Dec. 1st event? The few holiday weekends are hot commodity, so it sucks not to know the deets (or even if I could get into the event!). Happy Thanksgiving your way btw! :)

we don’t have a tv in the bedroom, but i’d love if we did. especially for nights when my husband stays up late watching football — i’d love to fall asleep beside him rather than shuffling off to the bedroom alone.
    everything in moderation :)

I should have saved my question from yesterday! Having a TV in the bedroom is the ONLY way my wife and I are able to catch up on our shows… between working 40 hours a week, chasing after a one year old, staying caught up on house chores, blah etc blah there’s no way we would ever watch anything otherwise. There are days we don’t step foot in our living room, unfortunately.

I’m glad you decided to add one to your bedroom (love the dresser by the way) – you won’t regret it! If you missed the AMAs the other night, I’ve got a recap up if you want the highlights (and lowlights).

Lastly, I haven’t seen the Walking Dead yet but everyone and I mean EVERYONE has been talking about it… do I need to Netflix the seasons? I feel left behind.

13. Emma S. says

We have a TV in our bedroom and really just use it for the occasional SNL or movie night when I’m sure to fall asleep on the couch.

We didn’t hook up cable to it and just went with a DVD player and HD antenna which works great for as little as we use it. THe antenna’s tiny – the size of a magazine and just sits on a shelf or can be mounted to the wall behind the tv.
    “flat antenna”:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+Indoor+HDTV+Antenna+-+White/8939839.p?id=1215217075905&skuId=8939839