Bringing Someone Else Into The Bedroom…

… it’s… gasp… a TV.

We were originally anti-TV-in-the-bedroom, so we know it’s not for everyone (and it’s downright sinful to some) but we only have one TV in our entire house – in the living room – and this guy was just sitting unused in the playroom (ever since we upsized the living room one since he wasn’t large enough to actually see from the sofa)… so we’ve gone and changed our minds. Haha. There’s actually a real reason behind the decision: more and more we’ve been thinking about how we have issues with work/life balance and it’s hard for us to “shut off.” Which is why we always end up working on the couch with our laptops and the TV on in the background. But a TV in the bedroom could become a no-work-and-no-multi-tasking spot – so we wouldn’t allow any laptops or work to take place in the room and we could actually concentrate on our favorite shows.

Just pure relaxation and zombie-apocalypse/Dexter viewing. What can I say, that’s our idea of a hot date. And I know there’s an old saying that a TV in the bedroom might keep you from… ahem… other activities. But we figure if things like caring for a toddler, renovating rooms, writing a book, and maintaining a blog don’t get in the way, that’s nothing a little TV in the bedroom could change. Aaand, now I’m blushing. Moving on.

Not gonna lie, it sounds downright heavenly to wake up on a lazy Sunday and watch a movie in bed with the bean instead of sitting on the sofa and immediately snapping into “we should be working” mode and grabbing our laptops.

And let’s just say a wall with a dresser and a TV are straight up spa-like when compared to this ridiculously cluttered before:

So I returned from all of our tour flights with a fire burning under my buns to whip the wall that we stare at every. single. night. into shape. The first step was just putting things where they actually belonged (books we had read went under the built-ins in the dining room with the rest of our collection, empty boxes got broken down and stashed in our recycling bin, the lamp moved back to where it should be, etc).

Then I moved our mid-century side tables (remember we phased them out here?) into the guest room. Now that we yard-saled the old dresser that was in there we have a completely bare wall – and two of them next to each other actually look like a console against it. I owe you guys a picture, but it definitely works for now. We don’t know if we’ll eventually use them in Clara’s big girl room, so we’ll have to keep you posted.

Anyway, once those were out of the way we could properly center the dresser (which was one of the only secret book projects that we paid for and kept since we were so in love with it – you might recognize it from this video). It sits directly across from our bed – for our prime viewing pleasure – and then we just plopped the old too-small leftover living room TV on the top.

So far, it totally works for us. Wait, except not literally. It’s not actually hooked up to cable or anything yet, so… womp-womp. Nothing to watch. Maybe I’ll “dude, get on that” in a week or two (returning from tour stuff + Thanksgiving week = too much going on to sit on hold with Verizon). Perhaps I’ll have the patience next week?

Oh and I’ve heard that it’s bad feng shui to sleep across from a TV or a mirror, but we actually slept facing a giant floor length mirror for a few years at our first house and didn’t have issues sleeping or anything like that- thank goodness. So maybe we’re immune? Haha.

Honestly, my favorite thing about the dresser actually being centered and cleared of clutter is that I get to put cute little jewelry dishes up there (which tie into the color of the rug, you know, because I’m coo-coo-for-stuff-like-that).

Also hanging out up there: wood blocks in our initials and our favorite number. Oh yeah, this stuff makes my day, guys. #noshameinmygame

So that’s where we are. Slowly inching towards a bedroom that looks less blank-wall-here, cluttered-junky-wall-there. We’ll let you guys know how the whole TV thing goes once it’s up and running. Who knows, we might end up never using it, hating it and removing it, or pretty much deciding we should never leave our room! Mostly I’m just excited that we can share photos of one of our favorite book projects on the blog. Yeehaw.

Do you guys have TV’s in the bedroom? I’m dying to know the breakdown (is it 50/50? way more than not? very rare indeed?) but the last time we embedded a poll it crashed our site, so we’ve cobbled this tiny poll together over on Facebook so if you feel like playing along or checking out the tally, click here. Can’t wait to hear where you guys land!

Psst- Have you guys seen baby Weston yet? It was so exciting getting the call in the middle of the night that he came into the world safely and all was well with Katie and the fam. Clara loves him already – and after I showed her a picture in the morning she lovingly said “I want to bother him.” Cute, right?

Comments

1. Rachel says

I’m a couple and family therapist and I am always telling people to practice good sleep hygiene (i.e. the bedroom is only for sleeping and… well… you know), but I have to admit, there is something very satisfying about laying in bed and watching a show or movie every now and again :-) Enjoy! P.S. Love the book. I purchased it at the West Elm Chicago signing but could not wait in the line to see you! Sads. But, congrats you two!

2. Beth says

No tv in the bedroom, but we don’t really watch it, so it’s not an issue. BUT–I want those end tables/nightstands that you moved to your guest room! Sigh, I guess I have to keep haunting CL. Love the new look!

surprisingly, we haven’t owned a tv (even in the living room) since me and my husband have been married (two and a half years)! Its actually really nice. Though, the office is in the living room so we still get our movie/show fix every now and then.

We have one in our room and actually kind of forget its in there every once in a while. Then some random night we will be all “Lets watch a movie in the bedrooM!” Like it is a big deal. It is also perfect for those snuggle nights with the kiddos when it is later than they should be up but want a little more time with them. Hey technically they are in a bed, right?

Side note: just made may way cover to cover on the new book! I love it. So many wonderful things in there. You guys are truly an inspiration by keeping things real. Great job!

We actually don’t own a TV at all… not really a “permanent” thing, just sort of one of those in between things. I imagine eventually we’ll get one for the living room, and one for the bedroom. My husband and I love watching movies/TV together… it generally actually CAUSES conversation between us (yes, we’re the annoying people who talk during all the movies) so we don’t see it as a hinderance to our relationship. :)

p.s. On Sunday, I was telling my friend about your book – she doesn’t read the blog – and then she told me yesterday that she actually bought the book for her mother for her mom’s birthday. She said that your book “seemed the least intimidating and based on a house and the most fun and simple”. I told her that was exactly what you were going for!

p.p.s. Weston is so, so adorable. The hubby and I were keeping an eye on the Bower’s instagram uploads through the whole thing!

Sex sex sex. See, there. Now it’s out there and said. (I’m not being bold because it’s a blog, if you said that in person I would have said, “You mean sex? You can say it.”) Haha. It’s wonderful that you aren’t letting other things get in the way of it – there’s no shame in that. It’s good stuff, let’s just be honest here.

On another note, we are definitely no TV people. We had it in our first place together and I wasn’t a fan so I’ve put my foot down about it in our house now. Though, in the room we’re staying in while we renovate the TV can be seen from the bed. So *sometimes* as a treat we’ll turn the tv so we can watch it from bed. It’s like a renovation-treat to get through it all!

7. Karly says

I was anti-Tv in the bedroom for a long time, but finally caved because the hubs is a much lighter sleeper and often needs some TV to fall asleep. Now, I love it, it makes our Homeland/Sons of Anarchy/Boardwalk Empire/Dexter/Walking Dead (we may have an addiction!) viewing sessions so much cozier and intimate. From one convert to another…happy watching!

8. Emily says

We’re the no-TV type. We don’t really watch much TV, and I grew up without one, so I’m more likely to take my Kindle to bed with me. :) But it certainly isn’t something you have to justify. If you want it, you get it!

Btw, I absolutely love your book. You’ve turned me from the kind of person who says, “Ooh, that looks hard and I’d probably make a mess”, to the kind of person who tackle things without fear. YAY! Thank you.

9. Kristi W. says

The dresser looks great with that gradient paint! And I think it’s fine to have a TV in your room, if you want to. :) Question – I clicked the old bedroom side tables post referenced here, and I love that little white dresser/cabinet thing under the window! Do you mind sharing where you got it?

10. Haley says

I used to be anti-TV in the bedroom and would watch things on the laptop if I needed to be in bed, but I’m starting to switch over and contemplate getting a small one for the bedroom.

Everyone lives his/her own life and does what’s best, so if it works for you- kudos. If not, as you noted, changes can always be made.

For us, we don’t have a TV, but we affectionately refer to a TV as a GDNB (so as to not offend others). GDNB= G*d Damn Noisy Box which is from Robert Heinlen’s Stranger in a Strange Land.

Sometimes we do curl up on the couch and watch a show on hulu on the laptop, but most often the hub is writing and I’m providing feedback at night. Sometimes we’re working out together. It works for us.

Happy Early Thanksgiving to you and all!

12. karen says

We have a TV in the boudoir. It’s more like a dinosaur than a TV – I’ve had it since I was 16, and I’m in my 30s now. But, hey, it works. I especially love having it during baseball season…husband watches the game downstairs, and I go upstairs, chill in bed and watch the Housewives rip eachother’s weaves out. Marital bliss :)

13. Amanda K says

We were talking about this gorgeous dresser in line for the book signing in Dallas…it makes me want to Craigslist my dresser, buy one from the thrift store and do this!

In other news, I won the autographed lacquer tray from the raffle at West Elm. I got the email yesterday and may or may not have squealed at my desk. So excited to get it in the mail!