Father’s Day, Animal Friends, & Cheesy Grins

Work continues on the deck (looks like we’ll have an update for you on Monday barring any unforeseen disasters inspection failures!) so to end this week with a dad-worthy bang, I thought I’d share something that a bunch of you have been requesting: a belated Father’s Day recap (like last year’s) – especially since the day included a few home related activities and presents.

The day started off much like any normal Father’s Day might. We went out to one of our favorite brunch spots (deLux) and enjoyed some french toast in their open-air back room (we also enjoyed an impromptu walk beforehand because we accidentally arrived 20 minutes before they opened – oops).

Our day kind of got derailed from there because we found out just the night before that a New York Times photographer was coming by at noon to shoot our kitchen (!!!). Cue the sweaty palms. We’d already been interviewed for the article (about people who use online floor-planning software to guide home renovations) a couple of weeks before, but it literally wasn’t until 10:30pm on Saturday that we heard they needed someone to come over about twelve hours later on Father’s Day to snap the photos. Check out the big cameras he brought…

The article actually came out last Thursday while we were at Haven. We’ll admit we’re not head-over-heels for how it turned out since we feel like we sound a little anti-architect, which definitely isn’t the case (we even have a close friend who’s an architect!). During the interview they asked Sherry about kitchen designers (not architects) and how they might help, and Sherry said something like “a designer might tell you onyx is in or help you define what you like if you don’t know, which can be really helpful” but somehow a shortened version of that was used as our quote about architects (who do a heckova lot more than talk about onyx, as do kitchen designers!). You can read the article here if you’d like. I guess there’s always a risk that a story may shape up differently than it was originally pitched to you (we heard it was more about the software itself, kind of like this post that we wrote about the pros & cons of certain programs). But at least the photo of us came out ok. No closed eyes or spinach in the teeth. High five.

The photographer was pretty speedy (and extremely nice!), but between getting home quickly to clean up the house for his arrival (both our kitchen and ourselves) and then with him shooting photos until Clara’s nap, we didn’t really get a chance to squeeze in any more Father’s Day activities (since we were also working on blog projects to get ahead before our trip to the Haven Conference and practicing our little presentation). But Sherry, Clara, and Burger did treat me to some nice Father’s Day gifts – like this addition to our kitchen that sports my favorite thing (she got it from Joss & Main). Am I the only dad to get excited about a dishtowel? Perhaps. But put a bird bike on it and I’m sold.

Knowing that I have a thing for cool art, Sherry also found this fun “Twenty Northern Friends” print that not only is a subtle nod to our Alaskan honeymoon, but also includes lots of geek-y trivia about lesser-known animals.

Like, did you know a Snowy Owl can eat close to 2,000 lemmings in a single year? I’d say that’s about 2,000 more lemmings than I’ve eaten in my entire lifetime.

We’re thinking the print will go here in our living room, but we’ve gotta get a frame for it first (fortunately Target sells a size that should fit, so we’ll keep you posted). We think it’ll play nicely off the dark gray beams in there.

Speaking of keeping you posted, that picture reminded us that we’re guilty of sharing pictures of an unframed print and saying “we need to hang this and share the pics later” and then we hang it but never actually share the pics. So, let’s tie up some of those loose ends, shall we?

Come on into our frame hallway and make yourself comfortable…

That’s where the map of Maui (which we bought on our Hawaiian vacation back in March) ended up.

We were lucky that it fit in a frame that we found at Target (the mat’s opening was pretty much exactly the size of the map – huzzah for standard sizes!). And we actually had this empty spot on our wall since its previous occupant (an old map of Richmond) now lives on our kitchen shelves. Yup, things like frames and pillows definitely get around in our house.

And speaking of our trip out west, the wooden letterpress print that we got in Portland

…also ended up in the hallway, just on a different wall. You can see it here on the bottom right:

I wish I could remember what was there before, but so much got moved around while shooting the book in January that I think it’s been empty for a while. Oh wait, I know – it was the other frame that we moved into the kitchen after the shelves were built since it had some images of food in it (it was actually an old $12 poster from allposters.com that Sherry cut up a few years back for our first kitchen).

Who knew this Father’s Day recap would include miscellaneous art updates? Oh the twists and turns of blogging. As for Father’s Day, I’m thankful that I got to spend the day with my two favorite girls and my one favorite chihuahua (and a random, but very nice, photographer). How was your Father’s Day? Can you think that far back? I know I had trouble! Anyone have new art to hang? Or old project updates that they have yet to blog about? Why are those little updates so hard to remember to share?

Looks like you guys had so much fun. My list just keeps on growing – we are planning on adding a picture wall to our living room (not sure if that is going to happen before or after the headboard redesign) :-)

Good luck this weekend – we will keep our fingers crossed that you get a big thumbs up.

Ooh, am I first (probably not)?! We spent Father’s Day with our families. We had a big gathering at my in-laws with all the dads, and it was so wonderful since we previously lived 1,400 miles away and didn’t get to spend days like this with our families.

I am very inspired by your hallway full of frames :) I have a wall that this would look great on. The Northern print is pretty cool also. I love the backsplash in your kitchen, I’m pondering things to do on ours and this might have to be a contender :) Have a great day!

Haha- isn’t that funny?! No matter how hard I tried to be “on top of” the 4th of July with my early post, we overshot Father’s Day by almost two weeks! Glad we’re not alone! And that butcher block is gorgeous!

I love the art that celebrates your travels together! Kevin and I love to travel and always buy two things to remind us of our trips: a cookbook from where ever we are for me and cufflinks for him. :) I love the idea of art though!

I’m glad you had a great Father’s day!

5. Cara says

Uh oh. You just reminded me that my husband’s gift is still in the closet. I bought it months ago, but we were in Europe for Fathers Day and.. Well, my plans to have a make up day when we got back were forgotten. Better get on that!

I love, love, love the bike towel! I’ve been eyeing some dish towels in a very similar style on Etsy. Quite a few sellers have them with *bees* on them! :) I just searched for “bee dish towel” I think, and some even offer personalization. Thought you might have fun with those. I know how it is to get excited about dish towels.

I am also in love with that colorful bike print, too…

7. Jordan says

very unrelated, but I have a couple of cupcake questions…..Being an avid YHL reader, and all the mention of Ukrop cupcakes, I am dying to try them. Do you know if they ship their cupcakes? also, do you know if they have stores in other states (i live in south carolina)…..thanks, ms. sweet tooth:)

I think they’re only in certain parts of Virginia and aren’t sure they ship. Maybe if you google Ukrops bakery there’s a number you can call for more info? They truly are the best!

8. Lauren says

The picture of your rhino reminded me that I thought of you a few weeks back when I was browsing through Anthropologie. They had a paper mache rhino head hanging on one of the walls and my first thought was “Sherry would love this!” Haha. Maybe I read your blog too much… :)

I have that rhino (my husband got it for me for my birthday 2 years ago and since we moved, it hasn’t found a new home on a wall yet). I LOVE IT and now that we’re talking about it, I think I need to go find a spot and hang it up RIGHT NOW.

A comment about architects: they’re far from perfect. We hired one that came highly recommended around town and she put together three options for us. We were adding a second floor onto a ranch with a basement (the basement walks out at lake level on the lake side and the “front” of the house is the opposite side on the 1st floor). We chose our favorite design, acted as our own general contractor, hired the pros we needed (framing, roofing, siding, plumbing, sheetrocking) and only after it was up and we had walls did we realize we have no linen closet on our new second floor. No closet in the bathroom, no closet near the bathroom, only 2 bedroom closets. If I didn’t want to run up and down to the linen closet on the 1st floor, we had to come up with an alternative. So hubby built 3 freestanding window seats to fit wall-to-wall against the sitting room windows and they are custom built to fit some closed fabric baskets I got from WalMart: voila! Our linen closet!!!
    And next week we’ll be hanging some photos in our upstairs hallway, and then I’ll be pulling together some photos and art for our staircase, and buying/painting frames. Also, next week we’re repainting two “found” wooden stools: I’m trying to decide green or red… the kitchen is going to be redone next year so I’m thinking green, ’cause that will fit in with what I plan to do… but red would really pop! (And I could always repaint, right?!?)

That sounds like an awesome father’s day… I love that you guys really take the time to celebrate each one of you – plus your gifts are always so thoughtful! I love picking perfect presents for my loved ones and love that you guys seem to as well…

So sorry about the NYTimes articlae – that should have been straight up exciting instead of slightly stressful and, you know, factually dubious… plus they spelled your name wrong, Sherry?! And they didn’t link to the blog, which I think they should have done considering they linked to other websites mentioned. Harrumph and Grrr. Better luck next time! You guys deserve all the awesome press you can get…

Good luck with the deck!

If they spelled Sherry wrong, I think they fixed it. But MS.Petersik? You’re married to Mr.Petersik – I would think the New York Times would know that makes you MRS.Petersik! :)

• Dina says

What Liz said strikes me as so funny, because I just had a conversation about this topic with my sister the other day. I am married but I always go by “Ms.” professionally, not “Mrs.” I feel very strongly about this – I don’t think I should have to carry a title that signals whether I’m married or not, just like “Mr.” doesn’t tell you whether the person is married. My sister, on the other hand, is a teacher and all her students call her “Mrs.” Regardless, in this case I’m guessing it has to do with the NYT stylebook rules!