Look Who’s Hanging Out In Our Bathroom

This guy:

You saw the wall we were dealing with before we removed the not-very-functional shelf and towel bar here:

And you saw it again after we spackled and sanded those holes from the fixtures and painted:

Well now, thanks to two nails (it’s a pretty light canvas), we hung up the DIY art that I made a while back (I originally whipped it up for the bedroom, but it’s nice to tie this color in here and it was aqua overload in the bedroom). Thankfully I used latex wall paint to make the painting (the same thing you’d use on the walls of a bathroom) so it should hold up well in here. It was a complete lucky break that it fits on this wall. And thanks to the ceiling-height shower curtain on the other side of the room, something over-sized on this side of the space actually adds balance, and feels less heavy or invasive than the shelf/towel bar that stuck out from the wall.

Admittedly, the pattern of the art isn’t perfect with the tree border tile that runs around the room since that’s pretty busy (see that up close here) but because we have a plan to redo that with soft frosted white or gray glass subway tile someday it should look nice and clean after Phase 2. It’s not that the tree tiles are terrible, they’re just not “us” if that makes sense. So we figure the room will feel more like our bathroom and not someone else’s when we put up accent tile that floats our boat.

And now for an art detail shot. Ooh. Ahh.

One of the coolest things about my homemade painting is how purty it looks with our blue light. The room just went from feeling beige and builder-basic to feeling like ours. Ya know?

And now for a light detail shot. Ooh. Ahh.

One issue in here that we haven’t explained is that the door is too tight to the floor, so it actually doesn’t open all the way since it gets stuck on this floor grate. So we have added “remove the door from its hinges and shave a sliver off the bottom so it opens correctly” to our to-do list. And then we can have a bath mat outside the tub since it won’t get scraped by the door. Hurrah!

Speaking of the door, the trim around the window, the trim around the door, and the door itself were originally a beige-y off-white color. So things like the bright white towels, shower curtain, and light switch made that feel a little… dirty. We’re crisp white trim folks anyway, so I got my paint on.

I used leftover semi-gloss paint that we’ve used for other rooms (it’s off-the-shelf white by Olympic Premium). And two coats later…

… it was white! Like the towels and the shower curtain and the light switch. Oh happy day.

Here’s the window all glossy and refreshed.

Pretty much still looks like this from the doorway since you can’t see the art behind the door. But once you go inside, bah-dow, art in yo face.

So that’s the latest with our cheap little bathroom update. We love that this step was f-r-e-e thanks to art we already had (sitting around in the playroom waiting to be hung – who’s surprised?) and leftover trim paint. And here’s what the ol’ to-do list looks like now:

• paint the walls so they have some contrast
  • replace the boob light
  • paint the cream trim white
  • hang some bathroom-friendly art
  • craigslist the toilet and replace it with a classic white one
  • do something to add privacy to the window
  • remove the door so we can shave the bottom to allow for a rug/bathmat (and add a door stopper so it doesn’t squash the art)
  • replace the border tile around the room (maybe in phase 2?)
  • move the blue pendant light to hang centered in front of the window
  • replace the floor tile down the road (just to break things up since there’s so much of it)

So there you have it. Any trim painting or art hanging going on in your neck of the woods? Have you painted any giant canvases to add color to a small room? Or made some quick bathroom upgrades on the cheap?

Psst- To follow this bathroom sprucing project from the start, check out this planning post, this painting post, and this light-swapping post.

Comments

Amazing how two good pops of color make that room so much more personal.
    Though you totally should have run with the whole tree tile thing and hung branches from the ceiling or something. I could see Hildi from Trading Spaces doing something nutso like that. Staple moss to the wall? Why not?!

Light coming in through the window was reflecting badly across the whole room (wrong time to take pics), so in order to have one of the whole room painted from the hall in time for this post I grabbed that from an older post. Haha.

xo

Oh it looks great!

I loooove painting canvases to add color to a room. We are renters, and while I love our house, the one downfall is that we cannot paint any wall. So this is what I did for my two year olds room!

I painted the four canvases on the wall for him, and I LOVE the color they bring to a very basic square room! You have to scroll to the last picture in the post to see all four.

The art looks great in the bathroom. I am an advocate for paintings and art in every room, including the bathroom and kitchen. It just adds so much.

P.s. Where did the light go in that last picture??

Oh yes, choices like this are definitely not for everyone! I think the more personal you make a space the less it appeals to the masses, but the more it can feel like “you!” if that makes sense! The ceiling height shower curtain to the left of the toilet feels much more balanced with large art on the right side, but I can also see how if you’re not there in person it’s hard to get that from a pic!

I love your artwork Sherry. My husband is an artist too and right now he is in his own head thinking about what he will create for our office art. Can’t push the talent! Well funny you should ask about bathroom upgrades, because last night I finally finished upgrading our master bathroom toilet by adding the dual flusher water saving system. (Psshhh no tools install my foot! Not if you are sporting a toilet that has survived 1974 down to today with the rustiest and oddest oversized bolts you’ve ever come across.) Yep. It turned into a 2 day project…

My best, Lynn

The white trim alone makes a HUGE difference! I never before realized how large your painting is. I like how it fills the space.

You’ve inspired me to put DIY wall art on my every expanding to do list. I’ve got a very dark studio that needs brightening so while I’m adding lamps I might as well add the art too. I think it’ll be a cheerful upgrade :)

I am just getting around to painting the trim in our house after looking at it and wishing it were magically bright white for SEVEN MONTHS now. A little at a time, during the kids’ naptime, and I am getting it done. I had the doors all painted by someone else though- I knew I didn’t have it in me to do seven doors on my own. I love bright white trim! It freshens everything up!

Aw, thanks so much Stef! We’re so flattered to be among such other great blogs we love! We tried to post a comment on your blog but it wouldn’t go through so we hope you see this here!

s (& j)

More colours and variations of your artwork could result in an ETSY shop. Young House Love Art Originals. Yup, add that to your to-do list.

We got the light fixture at an outlet here in Richmond called The Decorating Outlet. If you click the link on the bottom of the post about switching out the light there’s more info for ya! And wow- that’s a big bathroom improvement without that wallpaper!

Just a heads up for you – you will want to put a door stop on the wall when you shave some room off the bottom of the door – otherwise your robe hooks will go right THROUGH your new canvas.

Love the bath though. Grey, white & turquoise will be the color scheme for our “someday nursery”… so I’m a fan!