Boxed In

This week’s first project for my little self-imposed Dude Get On That Already challenge is small – but it’s not animal related (so that’s something, right?!). It actually involves a fifty cent wood box that I found at Goodwill about three months ago and then… you guessed it… stuffed it into our playroom, never to be seen again. Until now. Here’s the only before picture that I shot with blue spray paint in it before deciding not to go blue…

Nope, I didn’t go gray either- that’s just primer.

Yup… I went yellow!

I still had some leftover from this horse head bookend makeover of yore, and I thought it would look like a little burst of sunshine.

I actually bought this box with function in mind. Every night I flop onto the sofa and immediately have to take off my watch and earrings and any other jewelry I’m wearing so I can truly relax/write posts/watch The Walking Dead/etc. And I thought if I had a pretty little box to put those things, I wouldn’t keep forgetting where I left them (on the stack of books, on the arm of the sofa, on the ottoman, etc). You know, they’d have a little zone for me to check back for them (before Clara gets to them and throws them under the sofa or into the couch cushions, both of which have happened).

So now I have a happy little jewelry drop box that lives on the ottoman (or the console table – he gets around).

It’s not where I store things for the long-haul (I have a jewelry tray in the bedroom) but it’s great for the stuff I have on for the day (and if I want to wear it the next day I know where to find it).

But my other little Dude Get On That Already project is animal related. Of course it is. Who is surprised at this point. Anyway, this isn’t a proper before pic because this guy was orange with brown spots when I found him at Goodwill last fall for ten cents (he’s small and wooden and I thought he might be fun for Clara – heck, he’s fun for me too). Then when I had the white primer out for another project about five months ago I gave him a little spray-spray (that’s how I imagine Tom Haverford from Parks & Rec would say it). Then I forgot all about him and he ended up in my giant animal pile-up in the playroom. Imagine that.

But since my odd little Dude Get On That Already challenge is apparently some sort of intervention from the universe (ok, ok, so I could probably stand to “adopt” fewer faux animal figurines) I decided to embrace the crazy (that’s pretty much our MO over here in general) and paint him gold. That’s right, I gilded the guy with $2 craft paint from Michael’s in Antique Gold.

Momma likes. And Clara likes too. Right now he’s hanging out on the desk in our living room, which is nice because I can gaze at him from the sofa. Sometimes he comes down to play with Clara, but he’s too dapper to get squashed into her toy bin when she goes to bed, so back up on the desk he goes. Until he becomes alive and hangs out with his animal friends when we all go to bed a-la Toy Story.

What? You guys don’t think that really happens? Whatevs. It totally does.

So animal by animal (and other random object by other random object) we’re clearing things out of our playroom so we can actually enjoy them (and we’re inching closer to another empty room for us to tackle). What little projects have you guys been up to? Sometimes it’s those easy little upgrades that make things like the entire desk area in the corner of the living room look sweeter. Which isn’t helping my animal problem (now I want one on every surface).

It could be worse. I could be addicted to buying cars or expensive shoes, so little cheap-o thrift store animals probably aren’t even my biggest vice. Spray paint could be. No wait, puns. It’s puns. Biggest vice for sure. What’s yours? Did you gild anything lately? Do you play with your kid’s toys? Let’s chat.

Comments

1. rebekah says

Spray spray. That is great!
    While you may have a small faux animal problem, I don’t see why it’s bad to “treat yo’self!”
    And neither would Tom :)

2. Mandy says

They totally do come to life at night!!! And I totally watched the second Night at the Museum last night, as well :0)

3. Sheela says

Welcome back! Very cute projects – sometimes those little things really add so much fun to a house. They look great, and definitely look far more pricey than their price tags!

Oh my, this is adorable! Both of them! My latest ‘Dude get on that already’ includes finally {finally!} getting my shoes organized. I can’t believe how long they sat in a big pile…and all I had to do was order 2 racks and now they are pretty and organized. I even go into the closet just so I can see how nice it looks :)

Fan-freaking-tastic idea with the wood box!! I wear a pretty obscene amount of jewelry daily (13 pieces right this second – no joke), and the first thing I do when I get home is take them ALL off and leave them wherever. I too have had to dig through couch cushions to find missing earrings.

I might have to steal inspiration from your idea. :)

6. Christine says

I love you guys even more now that I know you watch The Walking Dead! The last five minutes freaked me out! And do you think they are turning Carl into a psycho boy?(Don’t want to give too much detail if someone hasn’t seen it yet.) I thought the first season was a lot better but I am still hooked. I’d love to get a stagger-on part.
    (Uhm… back to home decor… Love the color on the giraffe!)

I love the box! I tend to take my earrings off in the evening while I watch tv and I usually just stick them on the TV table, but a little box would be so nice.

I really need to make a trip down to goodwill to scout for projects!

I have some spray painting I need to do, but it’s been super windy here lately. Hopefully later this week!

8. mercedes says

Love it! So simple yet it looks like you spent a fortune on those items at a high end store. Such inspiration – I’m on my way to Goodwill!

9. Carol N. says

My favorite book when I was a kid (Bunny Blue) was about toys that came to life in the toy box and were out and about at night. That is how Bunny Blue lost his ribbon! I looked for years and finally found that book on ebay so now have it safe at home and ready for a shadow box.

I have a March project: Manage the Mayhem month! One little pile at a time as my sort of spring cleaning.
    Love the yellow box! It is a little burst of sunshine (which after 6 inches of snow in C’ville yesterday is welcome!)
    Laura

So glad I’m not the only one who thinks toys come alive when we go to sleep! (Kidding…a little) When I was a little girl I always tried to pretend I was sleeping so I could catch my toys while they were awake, Haha! Thanks for the funny childhood reminder :)

I’m in the midst of spraying a curly-framed mirror blue for the nursery, so I have a question about spray-primer. What kind do you use? I’ve been using a Killz brand spray primer and kind of hate it – it’s all gloppy when it sprays out. I suppose it could be that particular can of it, but I don’t want to risk it again when I need to buy another can of primer. So I’ll take recommendations for another brand if you have a favorite…

I usually get the Rustoleum kind if it’s available. As a rule that seems to be my favorite brand since it tends to come out well and stick for good!

13. Emily Rae says

I like that you had a real-world purpose for that box, and that you know your living habits (taking off jewelry on the couch) to find something to fit that need. So many design/DIY sources I read don’t emphasize this point strongly enough — that we need to design our spaces around the way we live!

Well, at least your puns are free, right?
    I love the little horse, he is too cute – well done. I wonder what anthropologists would say if they found all your animals hundreds of years from now.