Boxed In

This week’s first project for my little self-imposed Dude Get On That Already challenge is small – but it’s not animal related (so that’s something, right?!). It actually involves a fifty cent wood box that I found at Goodwill about three months ago and then… you guessed it… stuffed it into our playroom, never to be seen again. Until now. Here’s the only before picture that I shot with blue spray paint in it before deciding not to go blue…

Nope, I didn’t go gray either- that’s just primer.

Yup… I went yellow!

I still had some leftover from this horse head bookend makeover of yore, and I thought it would look like a little burst of sunshine.

I actually bought this box with function in mind. Every night I flop onto the sofa and immediately have to take off my watch and earrings and any other jewelry I’m wearing so I can truly relax/write posts/watch The Walking Dead/etc. And I thought if I had a pretty little box to put those things, I wouldn’t keep forgetting where I left them (on the stack of books, on the arm of the sofa, on the ottoman, etc). You know, they’d have a little zone for me to check back for them (before Clara gets to them and throws them under the sofa or into the couch cushions, both of which have happened).

So now I have a happy little jewelry drop box that lives on the ottoman (or the console table – he gets around).

It’s not where I store things for the long-haul (I have a jewelry tray in the bedroom) but it’s great for the stuff I have on for the day (and if I want to wear it the next day I know where to find it).

But my other little Dude Get On That Already project is animal related. Of course it is. Who is surprised at this point. Anyway, this isn’t a proper before pic because this guy was orange with brown spots when I found him at Goodwill last fall for ten cents (he’s small and wooden and I thought he might be fun for Clara – heck, he’s fun for me too). Then when I had the white primer out for another project about five months ago I gave him a little spray-spray (that’s how I imagine Tom Haverford from Parks & Rec would say it). Then I forgot all about him and he ended up in my giant animal pile-up in the playroom. Imagine that.

But since my odd little Dude Get On That Already challenge is apparently some sort of intervention from the universe (ok, ok, so I could probably stand to “adopt” fewer faux animal figurines) I decided to embrace the crazy (that’s pretty much our MO over here in general) and paint him gold. That’s right, I gilded the guy with $2 craft paint from Michael’s in Antique Gold.

Momma likes. And Clara likes too. Right now he’s hanging out on the desk in our living room, which is nice because I can gaze at him from the sofa. Sometimes he comes down to play with Clara, but he’s too dapper to get squashed into her toy bin when she goes to bed, so back up on the desk he goes. Until he becomes alive and hangs out with his animal friends when we all go to bed a-la Toy Story.

What? You guys don’t think that really happens? Whatevs. It totally does.

So animal by animal (and other random object by other random object) we’re clearing things out of our playroom so we can actually enjoy them (and we’re inching closer to another empty room for us to tackle). What little projects have you guys been up to? Sometimes it’s those easy little upgrades that make things like the entire desk area in the corner of the living room look sweeter. Which isn’t helping my animal problem (now I want one on every surface).

It could be worse. I could be addicted to buying cars or expensive shoes, so little cheap-o thrift store animals probably aren’t even my biggest vice. Spray paint could be. No wait, puns. It’s puns. Biggest vice for sure. What’s yours? Did you gild anything lately? Do you play with your kid’s toys? Let’s chat.

Comments

I try to be very choosy! Sometimes I leave with nothing, sometimes I only buy one ten cent or fifty cent thing although there are ten cheap things to choose from. I try not to collect too much clutter, so keeping an eye out for things with a purpose (ex: a box = good jewelry storage) or a wooden giraffe (Clara can play with it and it can sit around looking cute). But I definitely leave empty handed a lot!

• Cair says

I’m pretty sure their goodwill has the same stuff mine does, just that when I see junk Sherry sees potential. I’m working on developing that vision….

• Monika says

That’s good to hear Sherry. I’m also with Melanie, that it’s often that I leave with nothing but a pouty face ;) I have snagged a couple of good finds, not many though!

• Barb says

I agree. No matter when I go…I have yet to buy anything but books. My GOODWILL makes me afraid…very afraid!

Wish I could visit Sherry’s Goodwill.

Maybe I have the wrong technique???

• Bethbirk says

Sherry has definitely helped me see potential, and I’m pretty sure that the wooden animal addiction is catching. I bought some elephant bookends at my goodwill, spray painted them white, and they are so happy on my new open shelves in my kitchen! Spray paint is the best. I love the gold!

1. Amara says

Love the way you are tackling all this stuff! Cute little gold animal. I have a spray paint question. In a fit of impatience, I spray painted a small metal table and did not use primer. As a result, the paint comes off when you touch it. Any idea how to fix this? Do I try to wipe it down, prime than paint it again? Can this be fixed. I hope you have messed up like this before and have some insight. Thanks!!!!

OMG! Totally adore that giraffe. That yellow against the blue looks great. I know you’ve mentioned this before but I forget. Where did you get those books from; the decorate and undecorate? Can totally relate to finally finishing a project.
    I just finished my dining room, after almost a yr and a half. It was truly special to see it finally done! Thanks again for the stencil idea.

Vidya

• Heather W. says

fyi, I just happened to stumble across the undecorate book at my local TJ Maxx about 2 weeks ago on clearance. They actually had two. So, you may even check there or Marshalls.

John and Sherry so glad your back and that you got to take a most deserved vaca. My husband and I are wanting to go to Maui for our 15th anniversary so, I can’t wait to hear all your tips and deets! Welcome Home!!!

Love your challenge of “Dude get on that.” I have my own, at least 3 home fixes a month. You have your playroom, I aspire to have my car in the garage. Goals are important. Love the giraffe! Too cute!

Before reading your blog I would have never thought of spray painting random ceramic animals. But I did it…I spray painted a squirrel! So I must give my thanks to y’all cause I heart him. Now if I could just find a giraffe…just like that one!! Cause he is awesome!! I even find myself stalking the goodwill aisle with the ceramic figurines. Perhaps y’all should start a support group?? :) Thanks for the inspiration! :) My squirrel in case you are curious: http://www.thecountrychiccottage.net/2012/03/vintage-cookie-tin-thrifty-finds.html

5. Ali Miller says

*Whew* There for a minute I thought this wasn’t going to have an animal in it, and I truly was a little sad. :( Not ceramic, but I still like it–and love that it is Clara-play friendly!

LOVE that mirror! Antique gold is what I used in our nursery for all the frames and mongram painted on the wall. It’s such a great gold color!!

7. taetae says

I love the box so much. You have the best eye for what will look good with a coat of spray paint! Do you put a protective coat on top of the spray paint at all?

I was in hawaii last year and the jet lag took me days to get over – hope you and baby clara are adjusting well!

Nah, since most spray paint is super strong if applied in thin and even coats on top of primer (which we did here) it’s all good! As for jet lag- argh- still going strong for us! But it means when we finally drag ourselves out of bed Clara sleeps in a bit more so we can hit the ground running!

Crazy!! That’s so exciting! Good luck girl! Oh and as for that MLS service, it worked really well for us (it’s the sole reason we sold our house) but have heard from folks lately that they’re slow to get back to them. Still, getting on MLS I think is super important, so hopefully it’s just a day or two wait and then you’re up there!