Twenty-Twelve Resolutions

Every year we publicly proclaim a few of our resolutions in the hope that it’ll light a fire under our arse (arses?) and help us “get there.” So without further ado (except for this gratuitous and very much in-progress pic of the cabinet doors being primed)…

… here they are:

Resolution #1 – To Get Around: We’re excited for 2012 to be a good travel year for us, since we have been invited to speak at the Portland Home & Garden Show in February (really? us?) and at the Haven Conference in Atlanta in June (we’re the keynote speakers, which makes us excited and nauseous all at the same time). So we’ll hopefully get to meet a lot of you guys at those events. And when our book comes out this fall we hope to get to do some touring just to thank as many of you for reading our blog right to your face as possible. You know and be awkward and blushy and say things like “that’s so weet of sou” instead of “that’s so sweet of you.” True story.

Resolution #2 – To Make Our Archives Easier To Navigate: With 2,000+ posts that have been written over 4+ years, we completely understand how hard it is to find things, especially all of the projects that get buried as we go! So we’d love to revamp our Projects page with photos and easier to use archival systems. You know we like to DIY things, so that means learning some coding stuff as we go. Should be fun…

Resolution #3 -To Find More Balance: This guy’s a repeat because we haven’t conquered it since declaring it last year. We mentioned that “since the internet is 24/7, and we work from home, sometimes it’s hard to resist working nights, weekends, and even on vacation, so we hope to get a handle on that.” Especially with Clara around, some healthy family-friendly balance seems like a good idea. Here’s hoping 2012 is the year that we get it down!

Resolution #4 – To teach Clara how to prime & paint: Ok, maybe that’s not very age appropriate, but at least let me teach the girl how to caulk. Kidding again. Hmm, maybe we can show her how to peel painter’s tape? Seems like something she’d love! This resolution is just about keeping Clara involved and hopefully raising a little DIY lover like ourselves. I mean, we won’t force it on her, but including her in some toddler-friendly projects or steps could be fun for the whole fam. The girl does love her tape measure (more on that here), so we’re off to a good start…

Resolution #5 – Simplify, simplify, simplify! Sometimes it seems like we should say yes to every opportunity (why not?) or try to tackle ten projects at a time (gung-ho!) but we’ve learned that keeping things simple and staying focused on one task at a time might just be the key to sanity. So we have to fight that “little voice” that pushes us to do more/attempt to be super-human/cater to everyone else. Just sharing whatever’s going on in our little world is what got us here (over four million hits a month is both humbling and mind-blowing). So we have to fight the urge to keep piling more on our plate or attempting to please everyone on the planet. This is just a good old fashioned DIY diary. And simple = a beautiful thing.

Who’s ready for 2012? What are your resolutions? I’d love to hear what you guys would like to accomplish this year (either in list form like ours or just a sentence or two about whatever you plan to focus on). Do you have any personal resolutions going on? I’d love to drink more water, eat more veggies, read more books, and get back into painting (on paper and canvas – since I have wall and cabinet painting covered already). Oh yeah and to Netflix Homeland since so many people have recommended it. Is that resolution-worthy? From what I hear, it is.

Psst- We’re over on BabyCenter sharing a cute handmade-with-love nursery that’s gender neutral, modestly sized, and packed with DIY ideas! Check it all out here.

1. meganleiann says

Ironically, my resolution is to get off home-improvement blogs and actually DO the things on my own that I want to do. Maybe if I deprive myself of some YHL, I’ll get that bedroom painted just so I can get back on!

My main new year’s resolutions are to learn how to drive (gah! I’m 26, it’s stupid) and to spend more time with my family.
    I also want to plan my wedding without going crazy about it, make something out of wood and sew a crib quilt for my niece who is due in May. (Yay! May babies!)

I’m almost 30 and haven’t driven since I was 18 and just got my license! Then I went off to college in NYC where no one drives and lived there 6 years and moved to VA where John and I got one car to share since I worked at home… and haven’t really driven at all in the past 5 years here! But I have promised John to get back into it before we have another kiddo because we’ll probably need me to be more comfortable driving kids around and it might be nice to divide and conquer sometimes. We can do it Annabelvita! Keep me posted on your progress! It’ll probably spur me on!

Almost the same here! I missed my chance to learn when I was living at home and have been living in Birmingham or London ever since, both places where it makes little sense to drive. This year is the year though! We’re moving to a smaller city and I’m going to do it dagnamit. You can do it too!

One of my resolutions for 2011 was to get comfortable driving. I’ve lived in Chicago since I was 18 and never had a reason to drive since I can take public transportation in the city. Then my husband and I bought a car and for some reason (because he is mean) he refused to be my chauffeur.

Short story long. I have now driven to Target and the grocery store by myself and even managed to parallel park in the city without swearing or crying. There was a little screaming, but all in all, I’m pretty proud of myself.

• Serena says

My Nana didn’t get her driver’s license until she was in her 60’s. I loved that she didn’t let anything stand in her way once she decided she finally wanted that extra bit of independence. If she could do it, I know all you gals can do it. Good luck and happy practicing.

I don’t usually like to make resolutions because I feel like I am setting myself up for failure, but I definitely have a desire to get some more projects done around our house and I also would like to spend more time just “creating” whatever that means.

Your resolutions are great … similar to ours. Especially the unplugging and simplifying. I need to do a major closet/crazy storage hiding place clean out this year and am more ready than ever to throw just about everything away! Haha. Can’t stand clutter and I feel like between balancing my husband’s day job and our old, big house, clutter has become me … Ick!!! So that’s my big 2012 resolution – and do some traveling. Perhaps a little road trip with the fam. We want Cohen to see and experience a lot.

Can’t wait to see what 2012 brings for our family … And yours. Best wishes.

Oh and do Netflix Homeland. You won’t be disappointed. My husband is obsessed!

Madison Seidler (& Tim, Cohen and Moe)

How fun that you get to come to Oregon! I live in Idaho but I will seriously contemplate driving over. I have friends in the area anyway, so it wouldn’t be all that creepy, right? HA. :) Love the blog, and so excited to see how things turn out with the cabinets!!

6. Sarah B says

Good morning!

My main resolution this year is to learn how to fix my hair. I’m growing it out and it’s this divine color from dying it with henna and I’m sick of just letting it go limp. So I’m going to braid, curl, bun, and twist my way to an expert this year.

I’m also putting “eat healthier” on repeat. Hooray for cutting out sugar (again)!

Can’t wait for that conference in June! I hope I get to meet y’all!

7. Alexis Peck says

i think this years resolution is to not break my new years resolution… or maybe work on the last few year’s ones that i did break :(

I’m still so sad that I’ll be missing you guys at Haven. But I guess now I can admit that it’s because I’ll have a newborn baby :) But don’t think Mike and I didn’t consider how difficult it would be to travel to Atlanta with a 4ish week old!

I guess my resolution would also be to simplify and be juggling less things. If that’s even possible now :)

Haha- that’s so cute! You’ll be there in spirit! John and I went on a week-long family beach vacation when Clara was 6 weeks old and my only memory of the trip was stopping ten times on the way there to nurse her and locking myself in a room or covering myself with a blanket on the beach to breastfeed! That gal was hungry. Haha.

9. Shannon says

We don’t necessarily do resolutions, but every year the hubby and I take a long drive and talk about the past year and our general plan for the next year. Our 3 main themes for the next year are family, health and saving. to do all that, we will be simplifying our life! It’s been a rough year for us with loss, job loss, new job, and all the adjustments and craziness that go along with it. Hoping 2012 is much better!