Oh No I Di’int

Hi my name is Sherry Petersik, and I have a white ceramic animal problem. Well, this one’s actually made of white resin. Guess which creature stole my heart this time? Here’s a hint.

Now I’m just putting words here so you don’t see the picture below before you venture a guess. Assuming you want to play along. Come on, what animal is it?

More words.

More words.

More words.

More words.

Ok, now I’ll explain how it all went down. I couldn’t resist requesting demanding that John drive me over to TJ Maxx after I received this email from a reader named Nina:

I thought of you guys when I saw this white resin ram’s (?) head at the Broad Street TJ Maxx today. I took a quick pic in the TJX dressing room, which is attached. I bought one but there was still another one there as of an hour ago. It was $30. No other similar animals, but they did have some nice looking white faux coral. – Nina

Oh and this picture was attached:

Let me tell you, it’s totally dangerous to have shopping spies sending ceramic animal details your way. You guys know they’re my kryptonite. Sometimes I can weakly walk away, but this time I just couldn’t resist. We were at TJ Maxx less than five hours later (we made it in right before they closed up shop around 7:30). And miracle of all miracles, no one else had snatched up that remaining ram.

It’s miiiiiiine. All miiiiiiiiine. I couldn’t be more excited. I know it’s weird, but I’m ok with weird. Actually, I love weird. Seriously, I ran out to the car with the biggest smile (Clara was sleeping so I popped in while John stayed in the car with her). Hubs knew I had “secured” Señior Ram from the moment I skipped out the door grinning like I won the lottery. And as for the price, I thought 30 bucks was great compared to this nearly identical ram from Williams Sonoma Home who rings in at a whopping $245! Holla. Oh and how funny is that picture of Rammo on the extra wide plank floors in our bedroom above? Doesn’t it look like he’s hanging on the wall of a cabin or something? Here’s an angle that’s a bit less wall-like:

On second thought, that kinda looks like a wall too. How about this angle:

Yes, that’s Burger stretching in the background. He moseyed out of bed, enjoyed a leisurely stretch, and then approached the newest member of the faux animal gang to check things out.

After some oddly placed sniffs Burger accepted Rammo as his long lost brother walked away to check under Clara’s kitchen chair for scraps. Gotta love that warm chihuahua welcome. I wonder where Ramsy will end up living. Is it weird that I want him over our bed? He’s not big enough to live there alone, but perhaps among a few other smaller white ceramic animal heads in a grouping somewhat similar to this from Ballard Designs?

I know I’m strange, but you can’t help who what you love. I’m fully aware that sleeping under a ceramic ram head might be your idea of h-e-double-hockey-sticks. But it’s totally my idea of a good time.

Update: And now, due to popular demand. The photo of Burger stretching rotated 90 degrees so it looks like he’s scaling the wall. Who doesn’t enjoy a little zero gravity yoga?

Psst- We announced this week’s giveaway winners. Click here to see if you’re one of them!

1. Rebecca says

Congrats on the new addition to your white ceramic posse!

Unrelated Q for you… have you seen the new HGTV show “Marriage Under Construction”? The tag line is something like “They’re young. They’re in love. They just bought a fixer.” Totally seems like rip-off of you guys!

That’s too funny! We haven’t seen it! We were asked by a number of networks to do a show (we’re just not into the idea of Jon & Kate-ing ourselves, so we’re happy to remain safely behind our computers- haha). But we wouldn’t be surprised if they pitched the idea to other DIY couples. Sounds interesting! We’ll have to check it out.

• Lindsey says

No way! That IS a rip off! You guys are probably way cooler…I’m going to watch just to confirm that theory. Burger’s pose was freaking hilarious…I like weird pet poses as much as you like ceramic animals….those pet emails that get passed around with quotes…awesome.

• Jen O says

That show started on HGTV Canada a few years back..every season it’s a new couple, usually with a designer and contractor in hand. Pretty good show… but nothing compared to YHL obvs!

• kim says

In Canada the show is in its 3rd season. It a good show and not really like YHL. The idea is a young couple with their first home together, they have a designer that comes in and they do a budget and then do one room per episode. They also either do all the labor themselves (1st and 3rd season) or they have a contractor (2nd season). It’s a good show but not really like this blog were you guys do almost everything yourselves and you do all the sourcing and small projects. The show is more like will their marriage survive a reno.

Haha that sounds pretty fun actually! We’ll have to set the DVR! Do they seem to get along or is it kinda rocky? I wonder if the show makes it seem dramatic but they’re really just fine. So funny!

• chrissielynn says

i stumbled on another blog the other day called YOUNG HOUSE LOVE (@blogspot.com) and found it eerily similar to yours (even some of the decor choices).

i’m sure you’ve been told about it before, but figured if you hadn’t this discussion was the time to bring it up.

you are such a great and talented family i’m sure there are a lot of people hoping to follow in your footsteps.

(ahem, me;)

Wow that’s crazy! They’re using our exact same name and everything! I can’t seem to find an email address for them, but if anyone does would you please let me know? I’d love to very kindly ask them to change the name of their blog since we have an LLC on it. Yikes! And I’d hate to leave a comment about that…

2. Liz says

Well, different strokes for different folks, right? At least it’s not a snake! That was my guess from the first picture.

3. Stephanie Phillips says

You know, there is rehab for people like you. And not the rehab (of houses) that you’re used to…

Very cute! I’d never noticed ceramic animals until I started reading YHL and now I notice them EVERYWHERE.

Yeah, so I have started to inherit your love of white animals. It started with a tiny little white bird…just one. Now we have 3 of those bird! And now every time I see any ceramic animal, I think “oh, you can paint it white!” The BF doesn’t get it; poor guy.

5. Sarah says

The picture of Burger stretching still looks like the head is on a wall because Burger kind of looks like he is clinging for dear life to climb up something steeeep. Hilarious.

6. Elizabeth says

Oh noooooo…I had every intention of heading home and cleaning after work and now I may be forced to go on a ram hunt through our local TJMaxx and Marshalls!

LOVE IT!

7. lisa says

Hahaha. that is too funny. I also thought it was a snake.
    Burger looked cute in the background…I know it has nothing to do with this post, but I wanted to ask you about Burger. Well, he is in the picture, so it has a little to do with him…we were thinking of buying a dog one day in the near future…probably a small one. Do you ever have a problem with Burger leaving paw prints in the house/furniture after he comes in from outside? We are worried that that could happen all over our house if we got a dog. How do you keep all of your furniture so clean? Especially your (old) white couch. Thanks for the info!

We’re always sure to have a few woven door mats (from Ikea) both outside and inside the door where Burger runs in and out. So he has a few spots to knock stuff off his paws. It definitely helps a ton!

• Jessica O says

We have 2 dogs & keep an old beach towel folded in our laundry room by the back door. Every time they come in they know the “stop & get all 4 paws wiped” drill we go through. It only takes a couple seconds but it sooo worth it since we allow them to have free reign of the furniture!

• Shannon (in VA) says

I second the towel tip, we keep old towels by the back door for our big hound. He insists on being dried off if it is raining when he goes outside, otherwise he will rub his wet fur all over us…fun times.

I’ve got two small dogs and they both HATE getting dirty or wet, so we have very little problems with them tracking in dirt or mess. I don’t know if it is a breed characteristic or what. I know other people who say the same about their little ones. One is a dachshund and the other is a chihuahua. Plus we live in Phoenix, so things stay pretty dry here!

8. Lizzie says

What I find most hilarious is that your shopping spy brought that thing into the dressing room… I wonder if she needed to get a “1” item tag…

9. Letty says

I thought it was an elephant’s trunk from the first picture. I say you go for it! Ceramic/resin heads over your bed– new slogan??