I’m Running Out Of Mirror Puns

Our recent flurry of mirror-related projects means my repertoire of pun-riddled mirror references is growing thin. Our latest victim was the guest bathroom. We figured after swapping out the medicine cabinet in our master bath, that we might as well do the same in the guest bath. Especially since our guests won’t exactly need a medicine cabinet. At least we hope not.

It was still functional, but had definitely seen better days (the interior metal cabinet was starting to rust- we think it was original to the house, which makes it almost 50 years old) and we figured we could do better than the plain silver frame. So two screws later it was off the wall and after another two minutes (ok, maybe I’m exaggerating, let’s say five) we were back in business:

It’s clearly nothing elaborate, but at least it was free (it was an old Target mirror that we’ve had for a couple of years). And we figure once we get some paint on those walls (we’re thinking some sort of muddy gray will hopefully add some sophistication with the yellow tile) the white frame will pop nicely off the wall and go hand in hand with other clean white objects like the trim, sink, toilet, etc.

We also took a moment to remove the large room-encroaching metal shelf & towel bar. You can see it gone in the photo below and scroll back up to see it in action above the john. We figure we’ll add two clean looking hooks to the inside of the bathroom door for guests to hang their towels, and the room might benefit from some crisp art on the wall, just so it feels a bit less utilitarian. Oh and speaking of the inside of the bathroom door, we decided to remove the full length mirror that you see in the pic below. Not just to free up space for those towel hooks that we mentioned…

… but also to remedy the uncomfortable placement. See, if our guests went in there to do their business, they’d get a view similar to this one. Minus the jeans. Awkward.

Removing it was a cinch. Since it wasn’t glued to the door, I just had to remove the single clip on the right side, and then carefully slide that baby out (it had two clips on the top and the bottom, and one on each side). Once it was off the door, I removed the rest of the clips. Here’s the best one handed “in progress” shot that I got.

And here’s the door as it stands now. We’ve still gotta putty over the screw holes left by all of the mirror clips and then hang our towel hooks but we feel pretty good that we’ve saved our guests from having to experience their very own “John on john” moment. If they happen to be named John. Otherwise switch the first John out with their name (like how I overexplained that for you?).

Oh, and you probably remember that we’ve got another one of these mirrors on the master bathroom door (on the outside, fortunately). We were thisclose to taking it off moments after finishing this project, but suddenly started second-guessed ourselves. We’re now thinking that instead of removal, we might leave it be and someday upgrade it with a nice frame of molding around it so it looks built-in. We’ll see…

Comments

I like the ‘framed in’ idea for your MB mirror – maybe the same color frame as your new mirror over the sink (or is that too matchy matchy).

And I love yellow and grey – way to work the awesome midcentury tile!

I think that full length mirror deserves an award for the “Worst Placement of Mirror Ever.” How did anyone ever think that was a great place to put a mirror!??!

The changes look great, I’m sure your guests will appreciate them!

3. Letty says

Simple, yet lovely! Seems to be your theme :) And this post makes me think of something– I’ve seen loads of people live with bathroom tile on the walls that is less than pretty, so it makes me wonder: is painting ceramic tile even possible since nobody does it? We’ll hopefully be purchasing our first home soon and if we get the one we want, it has fuuuunky colored tiles so I’d love to know if we have the option of painting them or if we should just stay clear. Thanks!

Hey Letty,

We have heard horror stories of DIY tile painting gone wrong, but you can get it professionally reglazed for a few hundred bucks. We’re definitely going to embrace the yellow tile for a while though.

We had a medicine cabinet, complete with what I like to call “Chorus Line” lighting (think 1980’s movie dressing room globes) in our BEDROOM when we moved into our house. It was wired, but not recessed into the wall, so it stuck out about 5 inches from the wall-really lovely.

I have since removed that medicine cabinet and the two others that were more appropriately placed in the bathrooms and am glad they are gone.

5. Kristi says

I love the wall color. And I totally vote for painting the mirror and that window trim the same color (deep gray? deeper green?) so that they look like one piece.

As for your photos, have you experimented with how to adjust your white balance? If you have/make a white card, you should be able to take truer-to-life shots. Just a tip!

6. Snickrsnack Katie says

Wow, that bathroom looks remarkably like my guest bath. My house was built in 1955, I believe, so I think the mirror is also the same as the house. We also have these ugly looking gas space heaters that are installed in the walls in both of our bathrooms. We actually had the gas lines cut to them when we moved in because we feared a child would think it was really nifty to turn the knob and then gas would start free flowing. Anyway, one of these days, we will take those down all together. They are sort of neat looking in a way – but definitely not something I want to keep in there. I am definitely going to have to take down the mirror/medicine cabinet and do what you did. What a difference that makes!

this post cracks me up. Can you believe I actually had a mirror with the exact same placement, in my hospital room where I had my son?? Not only do you normally not want that view… you def don’t want it while in labor… or after :s

I think your yellow bathroom is darling :o) and yeah, the previous owner went a little overboard on the design feature “mirror” but think of all of the really really -bad- things they could have done!

9. MS says

We have 1 guest bathroom with probably 30 square feet of mirror, and I’m not exagerating. 1 and a half walls of mirror. Its INSANE. I keep thinking that we can take them down, cut them and build frames. With the span of mirror we have, there’s plenty of room for trial and error. But I’d love it if you guys tried it first! Any plans to re-use that mirror in a more stylish application?

Hey MS,

No plans off the top of our head, but if we come up with something we’ll def post about it! Otherwise we’ll donate them to the ReStore so they get to live on in someone else’s house.

10. bhh says

I was especially interested in this post because we are in the process of remodeling a bathroom that was formerly shared by our children into one that will primarily be used by houseguests. I was interested that you are considering a muddy gray with the yellow tile — which sounds beautiful — but how do you plan on tying it in with the blue and white duvet in the guest room (that you had on your bed in your old house)? Also, do you feel the need to coordinate your bedroom/bath wing’s color scheme? Pink (Clara’s room) and blue and yellow and gray? You guys have a great eye so I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Hey BHH,

We like things to go but they don’t have to match, so by using things like pops of color with white and some moody gray undertones (in the paint in Clara’s room, the blue duvet, the bathroom walls, etc) everything should work together nicely!